Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 09:22 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Yeah he's almost to the point where he can beat me. Turns 13 in a few weeks. He did get me on laptime once (tho I had a lot of riff-raff traffic to deal with... but a win's a win) though I still get him with racecraft. I figure it won't be long now tho....

We started him when he was 5, there was a place about an hour from us that had kid karts. They closed down shortly after we got him into it... next closest place was over 3 hours away. Wasn't until about the last year or so that the indoor place out here had a kids program.

And I agree, wish the default setup had less understeer. Sort of. If that's how the real car handles, then so be it... I'd rather have accuracy and learn to drive around the understeer. But it's definitely annoying. I like the challenge of it but if I bought one in real life I'd probably be pretty upset knowing I had to "fight" the car every time.
My oldest daughter(14) has discovered a talent for karts. She can't beat me yet but she beats just about everybody else in the race. I've promised a day with an instructor at Monticello Motor Club if she can bring home straight As. I'm still waiting, hopefully forth quarter.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:55 AM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Yeah he's almost to the point where he can beat me. Turns 13 in a few weeks. He did get me on laptime once (tho I had a lot of riff-raff traffic to deal with... but a win's a win) though I still get him with racecraft. I figure it won't be long now tho....

We started him when he was 5, there was a place about an hour from us that had kid karts. They closed down shortly after we got him into it... next closest place was over 3 hours away. Wasn't until about the last year or so that the indoor place out here had a kids program.

And I agree, wish the default setup had less understeer. Sort of. If that's how the real car handles, then so be it... I'd rather have accuracy and learn to drive around the understeer. But it's definitely annoying. I like the challenge of it but if I bought one in real life I'd probably be pretty upset knowing I had to "fight" the car every time.
That's a great way to spend time with your son. I can't wait to do the same with mine. I also have a bit of a hike to get to some karting tracks. Wish there was a facility closer.

Originally Posted by JustinL
I added 3 new members this weekend. Nice to see the league growing a bit again! This week there is an update, so things might change slightly between practice Sunday and race Wednesday.

As a refresher for the rules for everyone: Be nice! That's the only rule that if broken will get you kicked out. We're all trying to race our best, so if you get taken out, be nice. If you take someone out, be nice. Try hard, keep getting faster is the approach we all take.

Justin
I hope you don't mind but I posted a thread over in the 991 gt3 section of the forum to try to recruit more drivers. Hopefully it works. If we get more interest perhaps we can add a race during the weekend? Also maybe we can add an earlier time (maybe the weekend) to accommodate European drivers ( Gary tall reached out to me but he is in the UK ).

Love the philosophy / rules of the league. That's my Moto and I appreciate racing with like minded individuals. It's been a pleasure racing with you guys so far. I look forward to many more races.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:52 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

I don't mind at all. I'm happy to keep hosting the Wednesday night races as that seems to be a good time for North American drivers, but if anyone wants extra sessions I can make them an admin in the group and then they can add extra sessions for any time.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:46 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 176 Posts

Where are we this week? I searched but I can't find it,
Old 03-05-2017, 02:34 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
I added 3 new members this weekend. Nice to see the league growing a bit again! This week there is an update, so things might change slightly between practice Sunday and race Wednesday.

As a refresher for the rules for everyone: Be nice! That's the only rule that if broken will get you kicked out. We're all trying to race our best, so if you get taken out, be nice. If you take someone out, be nice. Try hard, keep getting faster is the approach we all take.

Justin
Agreed and while we haven't had any problems in quite a while, it's worth repeating from time to time.

We all do this FOR FUN and we all (I think?) do it after a long day's work on Weds nights.

Fast or slow, all are welcome. We have a BIG range of drivers so don't think, "I'm slow so I shouldn't even bother" - not to sound condescending, but I don't know how else to say it: the slow guys need/want someone to race against too! Maybe you're slow... but there is likely someone else in the group that is also "not the fastest" and they'd like somebody to battle it out with. Or maybe we have some lurkers here who haven't joined because they figure they're slow... might see someone else say "I'm slow" but decide to join anyways...

It's more fun with a big group! And we all share advice. Don't be afraid to ask for tips or pointers. And try not to get discouraged... it's not easy, and the more seat time, the better!

Not to mention... attrition plays a role here. Even if you're back in the grid, if the idiots up front take themselves out (always a good chance of that!) you just might find yourself on the podium.

I'm gonna set up a Brands Hatch session (under "Hosted" and NOT under "League"... just so the room will get some use outside of just us) since I can't make practice tonight.

If anybody's around on this empty Sunday afternoon, join up. Room will be called "Rennlist Practice" or something to that effect.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:45 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim, thanks for hosting, jumped in for a little while, for some reason I was thinking of a different track, had to learn this one.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:45 PM
Humberto Roca
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

Justin sorry to bother accidentaly i pressed the leave league button instead of the comunications. Can you please re add me?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2017, 08:15 PM
JustinL
Drifting

You should be back in again now.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:54 AM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for setting the session up yesterday. Im not sure what happened to the session I set up. I must have done something wrong when I set it up.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:51 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Julian and I found a session in our league section. That track is actually a lot of fun. Passing will be tricky, but it has a good flow. Default set -fuel was working well for me.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:54 PM
carmad
Advanced

Yes, fun track, easy to overdrive.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:45 PM
Burkey
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim well said, it was not long ago that I started Iracing, this group by far is the best to run with. I am just bummed that Wed have turned into a pain for me, lots of travel, getting ready for the first race of the season and we are building a new car for the 2018 season. Have fun Wed and see you all next week.

Burkey
Old 03-08-2017, 06:38 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

FYI new iRacing update, make sure you get on early enough to download it tonight.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:19 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Waiting for the update to finish before I can log in... :/
Old 03-09-2017, 12:29 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Jim and I had a great race lat night. Sometimes I have a chance to check the timing screen to see if there are other people having good battles, but last night it was nose to tail for 25 minutes. Brands Hatch is a track that's very difficult to pass at. The braking zones are so short and it's awfully narrow. Jim had a couple runs where he got a fender along side, but with the 911 to do that you need to overspeed the entry and we're all learning that this car punishes hard for that. I was able to hold Jim off at corner exit and thankfully the mistakes I made didn't create any opportunities.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread