Old 09-21-2011 | 02:18 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Default F1 - Austin

Perhaps video already posted?

Old 09-21-2011 | 03:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Given the severity of the drought here (worst ever in Texas history), and how it is forecast to get significantly worse over the next 12 months, we may literally be out of water here by the time that race happens.
Old 09-21-2011 | 03:59 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

I always wondered what they do with their promo cars. Does this thing get a ground up rebuild now? I mean look at all the dirt and dust getting thrown into the radiator inlets, brake ducts, air intake. Imagine the damage that would all cause. Tough to believe it even survives being abused like that. Are the tires aired up to 500psi to help increase the ground clearance? Or maybe these cars are one offs that have increase wheel travel and designed for ride heights that aren't half an inch.
Old 09-21-2011 | 05:14 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

That was cool...

i must admit, more I think about it, more I'm a fan of Dietrich Mateschitz. Dude's doing all kind of crazy, unconventional & cool things to promote his product. How long until he hires Pastrana to do a 30 ft jump with their F1 car?

That car(s) that was used for this commercial went through a complete tear down which in a case of a F1 team is pretty straightforward stuff not not uncommon at all.

They can raise those cars quite a lot so there can be some ground clearance, I cringed though when DC cut that one corner and went over that gravel "curbing"...

VR, don't be a hater!
Old 09-21-2011 | 06:32 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2BWise
I always wondered what they do with their promo cars. Does this thing get a ground up rebuild now? I mean look at all the dirt and dust getting thrown into the radiator inlets, brake ducts, air intake. Imagine the damage that would all cause.
I think your concern is quite valid. A cup car that had 20 hours in the middle east, delivered 30bhp less on the bench afterwards. An F1 engine pumps several times more air per second and have less of tolerance. I guess the RB car was both detuned and ran a lot less time before a tear down. Or just go the F1 rental route and put a JUDD in it?
Old 09-21-2011 | 07:29 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

That's a bit along the lines of what I was thinking. Take an old or spare chassis and modify it for proportional use. Increased travel, ride height, a more basic gearbox, and go with an off the shelf engine like something from Judd. I wonder how large the team is that keeps these cars running during these types of shoots.
Old 09-22-2011 | 03:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
VR, don't be a hater!
"Hater"? Kiss my grits, buddy. You don't live here, you haven't the foggiest idea of how bad it really is. Remember, I have been the #1 supporter of F1 in Austin here on Renn list. However,

-in a normal yyear, we get about 12 days at or above 100 degrees. By next Tuesday, we will likely be at 90 or 91, and they are still coming

-our sole water supply has been 60% consumed in barely 10 months

-long term forecasts are for the drought--currently the worst in Texas' drought-prone history--to only get a lot worse & intensify over the next 12+ months

-we are very close to having a real problem providing adequate drinking water for the several million people who live here, plus all for the business and industrial needs required to avoid wholesale job losses

-how we will provide water for a couple hundred thousand additional F1 fans (even though many will be Euroopeans who don't shower) is an issue that will get very ugly

-Austin used to be a clean & green place...it sure ain't clean anymore. Everything is covered by filth, dust, and smoke, since it hasn't really rained in 12 months. In fact, every morning, I clean the windshields of my wife's & my garaged vehicles...and I come away with filthy black rags

-and it is rapidly becoming not green...we are losing trees by the hundreds of thousands...even the hardiest drouught-tolerant trees are leafless and wiltiing...what leaves remain are gray and withered...our vaunted greenbelts are dying wholesale, I am talking hundreds of thousands of trees aggressively dying, I see it every day walking/running/driiving...and we hhave at least another year to go of this ****

-IMO Austin is in deep, deep ****, but few of the pollyanna hipsters with the overpplayed rectangular glasses who write the tourist websites realize it yet.

And again, I am probably the #1 fan of F1 in Austin!
Old 09-22-2011 | 03:57 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
...Remember, I have been the #1 supporter of F1 in Austin here on Renn list...
...And again, I am probably the #1 fan of F1 in Austin!...
I know, hence the comment/joke...

Either my joke was rusty or you haven't had enough coffee today, I though it would've been pretty obvious. I've read about the drought when you had the big fires there, no doubt it's a serious situation and I wouldn't doubt anyone local what's going on. When the last hurricane/tropical storm went to NY etc., I was hoping it would've sent bunch of rain to you guys but of course it didn't.
Old 09-23-2011 | 09:32 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I know, hence the comment/joke...

Either my joke was rusty or you haven't had enough coffee today, I though it would've been pretty obvious. I've read about the drought when you had the big fires there, no doubt it's a serious situation and I wouldn't doubt anyone local what's going on. When the last hurricane/tropical storm went to NY etc., I was hoping it would've sent bunch of rain to you guys but of course it didn't.
LOL!

I stand corrected. The number of 100 degree or higher days could actually hit 95 by next week. 95 days over 100 degrees, when the normal is 12.

FYI, our normal temps for this time of year are in the mid to upper 80's.

Mother Nature wants literally everything here to die. She is getting her way...

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 01-20-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-23-2011 | 10:41 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

This is sad. I hope and pray that everything turns around soon for Austin and it's people.
Old 09-23-2011 | 12:52 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Hate to get off the weather, but... It looks like a lot of the track is sub grade a bunch. I figure that they are going to lay a substantial foundation but it looks to be several feet sub grade in places. Is that an illusion or are going to be witnesses to some spectacular offs.

Just say as I think all surfaces are racing surfaces.
Old 09-23-2011 | 02:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

They are digging down 10' to build the base, since the soil shifts so much (in droughts...) in that part of town.
Old 09-24-2011 | 10:06 AM
Bud Kobayashi
Advanced

Default Texas race not look promising after this hot summer here in America

Originally Posted by Rassel
Perhaps video already posted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tEHQJn_hxo&
Think they will be many problems with this new track. Why they build anyway?

Quick Reply: F1 - Austin