Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMS/IMSA Cup SPOILER

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:58 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Turns 4, 6, and 9 are the turns that determine your lap times at Laguna. Glad to see you carry enough speed to remain in 4th thru T6 one of my favorites. All the IMSA cups seemed to pinch T9 a little too early at least that's how it looks on video. Arguably the most important turn on the track since so many seem to over slow their cars there.

As you said, it's a highly technical track. It seems that no matter how great your times are you always feel you left 1/2 second on the table. Great job for your first time there.....
Old 09-21-2011, 11:41 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Mike! Looked like IMSA racing to me...eduardo's a nice guy.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:04 AM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was nice to meet you Carlos, we'll see you in Atlanta next week....
Old 09-22-2011, 12:25 PM
AC coupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/...13-laguna.html
Old 09-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Turns 4, 6, and 9 are the turns that determine your lap times at Laguna. Glad to see you carry enough speed to remain in 4th thru T6 one of my favorites. All the IMSA cups seemed to pinch T9 a little too early at least that's how it looks on video. Arguably the most important turn on the track since so many seem to over slow their cars there.

As you said, it's a highly technical track. It seems that no matter how great your times are you always feel you left 1/2 second on the table. Great job for your first time there.....
After the bridge, our driver 88# was about in the middle, how wide do you enter turn 9?
The leaders in Platinum looked slow thru 9 and did not track all the way out, but had the fastest laps.

Looking at the Gomez video (white car 2.00) we also seemed to give up a bit thru 2#, it seems that you need to take an angle into it, which would give you an easier and tighter radius.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
More Videos:

http://vimeo.com/29176490

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/...-spin-cup.html

Will post the race videos once we are done trimming those down to the relevant highlights
What data system are you using here?
Old 09-22-2011, 01:42 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Here's a link to my qualifying session on Friday:

We had some confusion on car setup, but it went ok. Managed P3 in Gold. This was my second time driving at Laguna, even though it's a local track.. damn sound limits!

As for T9, the wider the entry I took, the more understeer I'd get (but didn't really have it anywhere else). If I had more front downforce I probably could have used a wider entry... the Platinum cars looked much more planted in the high speed corners than the Gold cars (I was stuck behind some for nearly half of sundays race..).

-mike
Old 09-22-2011, 02:25 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
Here's a link to my qualifying session on Friday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su20R0ToMMI

We had some confusion on car setup, but it went ok. Managed P3 in Gold. This was my second time driving at Laguna, even though it's a local track.. damn sound limits!

As for T9, the wider the entry I took, the more understeer I'd get (but didn't really have it anywhere else). If I had more front downforce I probably could have used a wider entry... the Platinum cars looked much more planted in the high speed corners than the Gold cars (I was stuck behind some for nearly half of sundays race..).

-mike
I'm going to try your method of blipping. Anything's got to be better than what I'm doing...
Old 09-22-2011, 08:51 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
After the bridge, our driver 88# was about in the middle, how wide do you enter turn 9?
The leaders in Platinum looked slow thru 9 and did not track all the way out, but had the fastest laps.

Looking at the Gomez video (white car 2.00) we also seemed to give up a bit thru 2#, it seems that you need to take an angle into it, which would give you an easier and tighter radius.
The hard thing about Laguna Seca is that the best line does not necessarily match the geometric perfect line as camber changes and track surface matter a lot. Not only on where you get the best camber for higher apex speed but where you get the best possible line /grip to accelerate sooner /more.

Turn 2 was one of those where I still dont know what works best. Shorter distance tight line seemed faster but those cars that screwed a bit their line coming in and went long had an awesome shoot accelerating out of that corner.

S Pumpelly also takes a narrower line on entry. We looked at all our telemetry and it doesnt pay off to go wider on entry. What is really critical is to nail the apex camber on T9 to the extent it allows the tighter entry and most throttle to use ALL the track on exit:

Last edited by cgomez; 09-23-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:09 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Carlos, great race, thanks for posting! Reminds me why I quit racing in GT3 cup.

Mike's (fleadh) footwork is unorthodox but his downshifts are excellent.

Last edited by analogmike; 09-22-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:34 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Great driving Carlos!!! Congrats!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:17 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What is really critical is to nail the apex camber on T9 to the extent it allows the tighter entry and most throttle to use ALL the track on exit:
[yt]2Mp9CURv7ZI/yt]
Exactly and you can't get there if you stay too low after your exit from the corkscrew....
Old 09-23-2011, 11:44 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Carlos, great race, thanks for posting! Reminds me why I quit racing in GT3 cup.

Mike's (fleadh) footwork is unorthodox but his downshifts are excellent.
Thanks Mike! Indeed its amazing the amount of close calls in 1 hour of racing. By the end of the season you sort of develop a 6th sense for trouble ahead.

See you in Daytona?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:53 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job Mike.

For me it was a STEEP learning curve as it was my first time at Laguna, and th track is a LOT more technical than what it appears on paper (or video games!).

Plus the surface grip changes by the minute due to weather and all those guys learning the track that go off and cover it with sand

http://vimeo.com/29176608
dude, i love the dune riding you do 20seconds in! awsome stuff. thanks for sharing and mainly, congrats on an awsome race!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:05 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks Mike! Indeed its amazing the amount of close calls in 1 hour of racing. By the end of the season you sort of develop a 6th sense for trouble ahead.

See you in Daytona?
You did an amazing job avoiding the spinners. Was one of the messes during full course caution, in the last turn, BEFORE the green came out??? Oy...

See you in Daytona, my 3.6 will be drafting you 3.8 guys, hope my big wheels and tires will let me keep up.

Quick Reply: ALMS/IMSA Cup SPOILER