Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Truck Thread: SRW or DRW?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:34 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a F250 crew diesel, was my daily driver for the first 2 years. Bought it as I wanted something worth something with over a 100k also wanted the towing capability, at the time I had a Chevy Avalanche and I once rented a large skidsteer and that was too much for that truck. So wanted something that I didn't have to worry on what every I pulled, I now have a 24ft enclosed, pulls with no problem, when I hook up the 18ft flat bed trailer I don't even know its there.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are not going over 30+ feet bumper pull in a trailer, a dually has little value. We tow with a F250 short bed crew cab diesel. 28ft with pit bikes, etc. Buddy has same truck with 30'. No issues. I had a long bed dually for towing previously. Really never used it near capacity with 28' trailer. Daily driving, gas mileage, parking, etc were all tough with the dually. Yep they are bad a##. And found from experience those fenders in rear are darn cheap to replace. Unless I was towing a much bigger rig anymore, would stay with SRW....
Old 08-24-2011, 11:30 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Great info coming in. Thanks.

My concern about SRW was getting a blowout pulling a 28-30' enclosed. With a dually I'd have a spare.
I like the size and drivability of the SRW since I will be in or passing through cities sometime.

I'm kinda with DED about wanting to own one just once.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny you should say blow out. We had that happen on way to VIR couple months ago. Rear tire starting going down fast (after enormous bubble from broken belt). Pulled off immediately. Lucky as Michelin dealer 1 mile away. Got new tire and on way in 2 hours. We now carry same size wheel and tire with us as spare.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a 40' gooseneck tow it with SRW 2500HD no problem. Had a DRW previously it's overkill and there's a big problem with dually's They don't fit through the car wash. I barely have time to wash my cars never mind the truck
Old 08-24-2011, 12:01 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a dually and besides not fitting at a car wash it also does not fit at a bank drive through. But I pull a two car trailer and am very happy with the dual rear wheels. The additional cost of going to a one ton vs. a 3/4 ton is minimal and you will get more stability and drive train strength.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:12 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I loved my dually and used it as a daily driver. It was a pain in the *** around town, going thru drive thrus, parking etc. However, I loved that truck. The absolutely best tow vehicle. GMC HD 3500 long bed diesel dually. I towed everything from an open trailex, a 24 foot enclosed and a 45 foot gooseneck two car hauler. The two car trailer going down the highway was incredibly smooth great ride. Overkill? I did not care. I will say that the brake pads for example wore like iron and looked like they were 3 inches thick. When GMC put that truck together, they really did it right IMHO.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Jeff951NJ
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

When I was looking at getting a truck and trailer set-up I decided to go a little over kill. I have a 2005 Dodge 3500 Dually with a 20" enclosed trailer. I can fit all everything I need for the track in the 20" trailer, bike, wheels,boxes of extra parts, ext with room to spare. The resson I did this was I never want to be stuck on the side of the road with a trailer and race car and cant be driven on the road. Just my 2 cents....
Old 08-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
I will be replacing my truck soon, probably next year.
I want some opinions on Single Rear Wheel vs Dual Rear Wheel.

I'm definitely getting a Diesel.

The truck will be used primarily for towing, but occasionally it will need to move something in or out of the city, small, tight streets, parking decks and lots.
How big of an issue will the width of the extra wheels be? Is the safety of DRW worth the size/maneuverability penalty?

I have a friend who trades his DRW at 2 years or 50k. I'm thinking about buying his current unit, but the DRW may be overkill and size has me wondering if I may regret buying so much rig.

Help me out with some pros and cons and experiences on the road.

Thanks,
Will you any warranty left? You may have experience with diesel, but at a diesel vigin a couple of years ago if someone had told me about the differences in repair cost, I would have stayed with gas. Unless you are pulling a big gooseneck, I see no reason to go to DRW. IMHO, any 3/4 ton (gas or diesel) can handle a bumper pull trailer and is easier to manuver. BTW, I tow (may towed be more accurate soon) an open aluminum trailer with a Sierra 3500 DRW Crewcab with an 8' bed. it is big.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have mine for sale...

Personally, when I bought mine, I was contemplating of getting dually vs. not and in the end decided against dually since these things are pretty wide even without the dual wheels so parking becomes a problem, I often see duallies parked so that the right side rear wheels are on the sidewalk. But then again, I don't have experience on towing anything heavy.
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aj986s
I've been considering the same when time comes to replace my current Suburban 2500. I've come to the following conclusions:

SRW: You plan to never go bigger than 1 car enclosed trailer, say up to 28 foot length.

DRW: You plan to eventually use a 2 car trailer, whether tag or gooseneck hitch.

At some point, I would like to pull a trailer big enough to haul my wife's and my car, so that she doesn't have to drive separately. But in terms of otherwise using as a simple pickup truck, the DRW can be more cumbersome to drive & park. Coinsequently I'm planning to eventually go with a DRW. But if decide at some point that we don't need to trailer 2 cars, I'd go with a SRW.

If you read up on the history of the DRW it was originally designed for large bumper pull trailers, not goosnecks/5th wheels. The extra wheels give you increased stability for the rear end. Of course, most DRWs have become the work towing truck of choice nowadays.

When you go gooseneck 1/3 of the trailer weight becomes payload.

I have a buddy that pulls a 40ft 2 car gooseneck with his Dodge Cummins crew cad shortbed SRW with no issues. He just upgraded to a DRW thinking it would be more stable and he cannot tell the difference.

Now, I went from a SRW Ford F350 to a DRW Chevy 3500 HD and it is way more stable with my 26ft bumper pull, especially going past semi trucks, ect.

This is my new setup:

Old 08-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Size and style of the trailer is part of the dilema. I want an enclosed to store track only items. I will not need a 2 car setup, but I want to bring a padock bike, the car and all the other crap that we just HAVE to have.
I'm considering a goose neck because I think it is less likely to be stolen (that means DRW for sure). I can't imagine pulling a trailer longer than 28'. Gooseneck is not a must.

Most DRW have the long bed which I don't really care for. The thing looks like a train from the side.
Dan Jacobs pulls a 32'(?) two car gooseneck with his 06 Chevy 2500 Duramax (mechanically the same as mine) and it pulls it like it isn't there. It is a crew cab with short bed. Mine is a extended cab, would get 4 doors next time.. For a one car trailer a 24' v-nose will hold all your junk and with my Reese "Straight-Line" setup I can pass a trailer on a windy day at 80MPH like nuttin..
Old 08-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Size and style of the trailer is part of the dilema. I want an enclosed to store track only items. I will not need a 2 car setup, but I want to bring a padock bike, the car and all the other crap that we just HAVE to have.
I'm considering a goose neck because I think it is less likely to be stolen (that means DRW for sure). I can't imagine pulling a trailer longer than 28'. Gooseneck is not a must.

Most DRW have the long bed which I don't really care for. The thing looks like a train from the side.
You can tow a gooseneck with a longbed SRW OR with a shortbed SRW with the hitch extender and/or a v-nose gooseneck.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:26 PM
6point3
5th Gear

I don't tow a car trailer, anymore, but I do have 35ft camper, that loaded is around 9,000-9,500 lbs. I tow with a 2500 Dodge Ram Cummins 4WD SRW. I have put thousands of towing miles on it including a the most recent trip from mid atlantic to Disney without any troubles. Check tire presuures, regularly. and have a good weight distribution hitch set up properly. Dually's are for 40ft+ trailers, goose neck, etc. IMHO!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Eifeler
Pro

For several years I pulled a 33ft offshore boat that was slightly over max rated capacity with a 3500 SRW. It was very stable with the 325 'E' load range tires. A little 20 something trailer doesn't NEED a dually.

Quick Reply: Another Truck Thread: SRW or DRW?