Sponsored by:

New Helmet R3 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Helmet R3 question

I got a new SA 2010 Bell helmet. The helmets come with pre drilled holes to mount the helmet D rings. Are they correct for R-3?

thanks,
Old 08-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan G.
I got a new SA 2010 Bell helmet. The helmets come with pre drilled holes to mount the helmet D rings. Are they correct for R-3?

thanks,
The nut plate on the predilled helmets is different than that of the Safety Solutions equipment that came with the R3 when you bought it.

Safety Soultions has a kit that gets you the right size bits. Fastest way is to order it directly from them. I don't have any on the shelf right now.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I have the old one.

I have the bits from my old helmet. It is held in by a phillips head screw. I'm not sure if the old backing plate was glued in. I was more concerned if the location is correct. I'll try to take it apart.

The race wharehouse where I got the helmet had that hardware kit in the catalog, but was also OOS at the store.

thanks,
Old 08-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd get the new kit. I wouldn't dig the nutplate out of the new helmet to put in the other one they are not meant to be removed.

The location is correct. The difference is that the nutplate is bigger than the phillips screw that is on your old equipment.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 912 Likes on 556 Posts

The kit from Safety Solutions (M4 kit?) is worth it. I'll have mine at LRP if you want to check it out. I also posted a thread about it awhile ago.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:46 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default R3 anchors

We have a couple of the new kits in stock. Not on the website yet so you would need to call to order
Old 08-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to add that I was once an Safety Solutions dealer for the R3...... Boy have things changed with them as a company, and not for the better.

I ordered the new M4 helmet attachment hardware with custom length "cord" for my R3 about 2 months ago. I measured my old tether like they told me to, and even sent in photos of my tether with a tape measurer next to it.
About a week later I recieve a ziplock baggy full of parts, no invoice, no instructions. I figured that I am familiar with the R3, no biggie I will install it.
I installed it and the fit was horrible! The lengths were all wrong. To top it off, the new Helmet hardware rotated and gouged my new helmet and screwed up the professional paintjob on it (because of the tension of the too short custom "Cord").
I emailed them letting them know of their design flaw, they replied saying I did not recieve a "Complete" kit.....WTF! I had to call you, and you then tell me I did not recieve a complete kit! Also, the cord was made the wrong length!

Here is the kicker....... Remember.... No instructions, not a complete kit (that F'd up my $650 helmet paint), defective kit, no invoice was even sent..... and they made we wait 3 weeks for an answer if they could send me a shipping label for return shipping...... Guess what? They would not pay for return shipping!!! So they sent me this bag full of wrong crap parts that was not complete or correct, and I have to pay to ship it back. FU!!! Way to treat your customers/ and a former dealer.
So all I have to say is I will not be doing any business with Safety Solutions/ Simpson ever again.

I sold my R3 and ordered a Hans Sport 2 today.

Horrible customer service..... Trevor Ashline should be ashamed.

Please note: I ordered directly from the source, not Apex or any other supplier.

Last edited by Plavan; 08-15-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:14 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Plavan

I have an R3, and was thinking about getting Hans Sport 2.

How do you like it?
Fit/feel differences compared to the R3?
Did you get the quick click connectors?

BTW your car is badass.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsics
Plavan

How do you like it?

BTW your car is badass.
Doug,

I replaced my R3 with HANS and I find it less cumbersome. I can now get in and out of the car easier. If you have the opportunity to try one on for fit before you buy it, go that route. Get the new quick click and the sliding tetter.

They have a new one with rounded and shorter back. It feels lighter, but not by much. Price is like $50 difference.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:24 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks
Old 08-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsics
Plavan

How do you like it?

BTW your car is badass.
Thanks about the car, it is alot of fun.

I just ordered the Hans yesterday, so I cant answer the fit/feel. However, I have tried others and it was fine.

I ended going with the standard mounts/sliding tether. I never released my old R3 quick releases, and always kept the helmet attached to the device. Plus, I did not care for the HANS orange "Quick Release" tethers always attached to the helmet, especally if I never use them.

Quick Reply: New Helmet R3 question