Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NJMP Racing School

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:25 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bertil Roos school. One of the best experiences on the track I've ever had. Do it at VIR.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
I'll write up my thoughts (if anyones interested) afterwards.
Looking forward to hearing about it!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-10-2011, 09:21 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I think that any driving instruction is a good thing and plenty fun. The diesel TDI's are from the TDI Cup series and are real race cars. You can learn a lot in a car like this, esp. when someone else owns it.

The NJMP one day program seems a bit odd to me. They start with giving you a gearing chart, teaching you how to check your oil, and 1/2 day of lead/follow. They end with practice race starts. Everything in between deals somehow with data acquisition. I wonder if someone is selling something here?

I've taken 2 race schools - Mid-O and an SCCA licensing course. If you want an SCCA license 2 approved schools must be taken within the same 12 month period. In the M-O school we drove their Acuras and had a lot of off-track (class, parking lot exercises, etc.) components. It was expensive and you were treated well. The instructing staff there is formidable and rife with names you would recognize in an instant.

In the SCCA course (October @ WGI w/Glen region SCCA) we learned to race. SCCA was a fraction of the cost of the private school but you needed a novice permit (incl. medical), fully compliant car, all safety equipment. You also need your own water, meals, and crew -- necessary because you are busy 100% of the day in a rotation of track/class/debrief. No one here is teaching you how to drive or treating you like a customer. If you are not making the grade you do not get licensed and may get asked to leave. There are no parking lot exercises and no discussion on how to spend your money.

I think that if I were planning a driving school at this point I would go towards open wheel. You already put your Porsche on the track and know the very basics, so why not a completely different experience? Having said that, I am returning to Mid-O in 1 1/2 weeks in Marc's 993 (not race compliant) for an advanced driving/instructor course. Hey, they'll have water, lunch and little certificates at the end!

-- Mindy
Old 08-10-2011, 06:15 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

They are going to have to get some certification towards licensing pretty quickly if this is going to be a real school. On the other hand, if it is really two hours track time, the price is fine considering these are real, prepared, logbook racecars, _someone else's_ racecars, and you get attentive, quality coaching for the day. You couldn't rent a spec Miata for a normal DE for less than this per diem...
Old 08-10-2011, 06:54 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
thanks peter and others for your thoughts.

I'm a newby so IMO it different enough from a DE to give it a go.

I'll write up my thoughts (if anyones interested) afterwards.
Looking forward to your writeup. I already know where this is going
Old 08-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I think we're getting hung up on the word "school." This is more of a driving "experience" and it sounds pretty cool. The TDI Cup cars are the ultimate momentum cars. Hopefully they'll use the same tire setup that they used at the TDI Cup.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:00 PM
D_Nyholm
Track Day

Sorry to drag this up, but did you ever end up going? A friend and I are looking for something relatively local for a good price and this came up in our searches. We really wanted to do the Cadillac Experience, but it was in Las Vegas and the plane tickets and hotel rooms really killed the super cheap entry fee of $556. We are just looking for something fun with the most on track time and don't really care about any sort of licensing or anything like that. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Quick Reply: NJMP Racing School