Sponsored by:

My First Race - Mosport 2011

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Race - Mosport 2011

Well, I smoked some crack and now there's no turning back... despite all the warnings out there I just had to do it.

I've been DE'ing for about 3 years, gradually working my way up the PCA ladder without any specific goals. This year I decided I'd like to at least get a racing license to give me the option to race. I completed the requirements and applied to PCA with the support of our CI (Thanks Bob!)

I gave Susan a call to complete the application and she asked if I wanted to race at Mosport that weekend. I had no plans to race and no car to race...
but to make a long story short within 24 hours I rented a GTB2 car from SpeedMerchants, packed my bags and headed to Mosport.
Big thumbs up to Susan Shire for helping organize everything.

Showed up Thursday for the Test and Tune day, having never driven the car nor been at Mosport. It was quite an experience... managed to get down to the low 1:31's after the first session, which I was pretty happy about.

Friday was full of practice stuff, including practice starts and a fun race. A nice way to get initiated to racing. Needless to say I had a blast.

Saturday Sprint Race#1. Beautiful weather. Had a good qualifying, top 10.
Ran a clean race, and finished top 10, first in class (4 GTB2 cars and a couple competitive GTB1 cars behind me).

Spring Race #2 was a bit of a bust. Was running hard with serious pressure behind me when I blew a tire in turn 8. I ended up with a DNF, but I'm pretty happy I kept the car off the wall.

Sunday Enduro was a thrill. Started in the pouring rain... the start was essentially blind. I ran a great race in the rain, despite one "off" on 8, but ended up with a late pit stop while the track was dry and fell behind. Ended up first in class and in the top half of the field.

Huge thanks to SpeedMerchants for proving an awesome car and a super friendly and knowledgable crew, as well as JF Dumoulin and Jim Hoddinott for great coaching. I even walked away with the Rookie award!

Overall an incredible experience. The hard part now is what's next....
Attached Images   
Old 08-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Rob
Old 08-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. I'm impressed. Nice job!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Impressive jumping in like that. Congrats.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:56 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, talk about baptism by fire

Spent the whole weekend parked close to you guys, would have been cool to hook up and chat. It's such a foreign world to me.

Watched the start of the enduro from the top of 2, and it was clean, and VERY exciting.

Did you do the enduro on wets?

Good luck going forward.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:58 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FFaust
Wow, talk about baptism by fire

Spent the whole weekend parked close to you guys, would have been cool to hook up and chat. It's such a foreign world to me.

Watched the start of the enduro from the top of 2, and it was clean, and VERY exciting.

Did you do the enduro on wets?

Good luck going forward.
Baptism by fire is right!

The race was very tight and very exciting. Great close driving on everyone's part.

I started the enduro on wets.. then switched to slicks during the pit stop.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:32 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Congrats... Soon your GT3 will be sitting out on the track weekends as mine has been since I bought a race car this year...

That's a helleva car to take on your first outing... May want to consider a BMW Race car as the consumables are a fraction of a modern 911 platform...
Old 08-04-2011, 08:44 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

BTW, that is the 997 PDK stipper that was featured in Excellence last year
Old 08-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking

oh man, you're done now!!!

You did much better than I did at my first race! Congrats

But now, you're aware that you're at the top of a slippery slope... right?

c.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 007DT
May want to consider a BMW Race car as the consumables are a fraction of a modern 911 platform...
Right! Or a 944Cup. My objective in racing was to have fun with my friends and improve my driving. Low horsepower cars are great at teaching. And the more competition you have, the more you have to work on yourself to make some progress. 944 Cup is just plain great for that, no less than 10-12 cars at per race, usually 15-18, sometimes 25!!!

For that Mosport race I even choose the slowest car (#5) we have (we have 3, #5, #55,#56) even if the quickest one was available, to make sure I was going to work on my driving. It worked. I felt that I was not good enough for #55 yet. I'm getting there.

I see that you'll be at Tremblant for the August DE. Come see me!

c.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Very cool Rob!
See you at Calabogie.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:32 PM
4ng crcs
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default looks like mah old car wuz just a band-aid

Ready to ship it back to me?

Your race results look pretty impressive for the 1st time out... especially in the enduro.

I'd have been done after 4 of those 40+ laps.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:45 PM
doc#66
Advanced

Bravo Rob
Old 08-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Wow - well done! So happy for you!

Best,

Matt
Old 08-16-2011, 10:24 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by early_grayce
Well, I smoked some crack and now there's no turning back... despite all the warnings out there I just had to do it.

I've been DE'ing for about 3 years, gradually working my way up the PCA ladder without any specific goals. This year I decided I'd like to at least get a racing license to give me the option to race. I completed the requirements and applied to PCA with the support of our CI (Thanks Bob!)

I gave Susan a call to complete the application and she asked if I wanted to race at Mosport that weekend. I had no plans to race and no car to race...
but to make a long story short within 24 hours I rented a GTB2 car from SpeedMerchants, packed my bags and headed to Mosport.
Big thumbs up to Susan Shire for helping organize everything.

Showed up Thursday for the Test and Tune day, having never driven the car nor been at Mosport. It was quite an experience... managed to get down to the low 1:31's after the first session, which I was pretty happy about.

Friday was full of practice stuff, including practice starts and a fun race. A nice way to get initiated to racing. Needless to say I had a blast.

Saturday Sprint Race#1. Beautiful weather. Had a good qualifying, top 10.
Ran a clean race, and finished top 10, first in class (4 GTB2 cars and a couple competitive GTB1 cars behind me).

Spring Race #2 was a bit of a bust. Was running hard with serious pressure behind me when I blew a tire in turn 8. I ended up with a DNF, but I'm pretty happy I kept the car off the wall.

Sunday Enduro was a thrill. Started in the pouring rain... the start was essentially blind. I ran a great race in the rain, despite one "off" on 8, but ended up with a late pit stop while the track was dry and fell behind. Ended up first in class and in the top half of the field.

Huge thanks to SpeedMerchants for proving an awesome car and a super friendly and knowledgable crew, as well as JF Dumoulin and Jim Hoddinott for great coaching. I even walked away with the Rookie award!

Overall an incredible experience. The hard part now is what's next....
Just saw your post Rob, VERY cool and WOW!! ...congrats!!

OK, so what is next? (I bet Jim can help you decide...)

Quick Reply: My First Race - Mosport 2011