Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing seat installation ... need advice !

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:09 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 164 Posts
Default Racing seat installation ... need advice !

Hey guys,

Got bitten pretty good by the track bug and i plan on installing some Sparco seats and six point harnesses in my 89 911 Coupe.
I already have a Das roll bar installed in my car.
I'm getting a really good deal on the Evo seats,side mounts,mounting frames and sliders.Now i'm not sure about where to mount the turnbuckles for the belts,i've read somewhere that the 87 and on 911's already have the threads in the tunnel for mounting.I hope i'm phrasing this right ...

Can somebody please enlighten me on the proper installation process for this setup ?

Thank you

Cheers !
Phil
Old 07-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Hi Phil:
The install of Sparco Evos is pretty straightforward. What side mounts are you going to be using? on the 78-89 911 with the correct Brey Krause side mounts and 16 actuating tube for the Sparco sliders you wont need a seat base adapter. You can use the threaded holes where the seat belts attach to the frame rails to attach the outside lap belts. Just use an aircraft grade eyebolt. I am not sure if there is a threaded hole on the inboard side or not on the 87-89. No such hole on my 93 C2. My old 84 Carrera did not have them and I had to drill through the floor and use a threaded backing plate and eyebolt. The shoulder belts you can wrap around the harness bar portion of your DAS Sport roll bar.

I can assist you with this so feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Kind regards,
Mark
Old 07-21-2011, 11:18 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking here should help some.

Nothing is threaded into the tunnel. No turnbuckles. Seat and all harness hardware mounted to existing rails welded to the floor. Shoulder (targa) harness anchors (eyebolts) thread into existing backseat seatbelt anchor points. Crotch belt anchors to Brey Kraus crossmember designed specifically for your 911. No need to drill thru floor. Easy.

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/harnes...re_porsche.php
Old 07-21-2011, 11:53 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Mark,

Are you saying i won't need the seat base adaptors ?
I will be installing the EVO 2 seats along with the Sparco steel side mounts and the Sparco sliders ...

My supplier has the proper eyebolts for the outboard sides,where they will be mounted along with my roll bar but i'm not too keen on mounting anything through the tunnel.I kind of like the idea of bolting something to the mounts or the rails for the inboard sides.I've also seen a 964 RS inboard mount on one of Bill Verburg's posts !

SIG,
It also seems BK has a lot of mounting brackets,which one would i need for my application ?
I have a track session next Monday and Tuesday but i don't think i'll have everything installed by then !

I appreciate the help guys

Cheers !
Phil
Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Phil:
You'll need these BK side mounts. If your car still has the stock door panels with the door pockets, they may hit the seat when closing the doors.

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/2-Ca...EAT-TO-PORSCHE
Old 07-28-2011, 09:18 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Well it's done ...
Picked up some Sparco Evo's that came with Sparco side mounts and somehow my dealer gave me some OMP sliders , which have "Made in China" stamped on them and at first glance it seems the pull bar will not work with this installation ...
I also picked up one Schroth 6 point harness for now to mock up the installation and i need to get some info on the inside lap belt mount (where to install the eye bolt or use a BK side mount bracket) as well as how to install the sub belt (use two eye bolts on the floor pan?)

Mark,i will be calling you today for some advice

Cheers !
Phil
Old 07-28-2011, 01:21 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember installing some little extension thing that Breye-Kraus also makes, it raises the eyelet to clip the belt into up to a more accessable place.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:32 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Guys,

I spoke with Mark at OG Racing this morning and i ordered all the necessary mounting hardware as well as a few pointers regarding the installation !

Great person to deal with

I basically needed all the Brey Krause stuff ... inboard side mounting clips for the lap belts as well as the anti sub bars that will mount on the seat rails under the seat.
Thank you to all who chimed in !

Cheers !
Phil

Quick Reply: Racing seat installation ... need advice !