Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 04:07 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Formula One Boss, Named in Bribery Investigation

Bernie Ecclestone, Formula One Boss, Named in Bribery Investigation
By THE NEW YORK TIMES

Prosecutors in Munich have named Bernie Ecclestone in their investigation of a banker who brokered the 2006 sale of a German bank’s stake in Formula One, the race series overseen by Mr. Ecclestone. The prosecutors claim that the banker, working for BayernLB bank, received $44 million in bribes from Mr. Ecclestone and one of his companies for unknown motives at the time of the sale of BayernLB’s stake in Formula One. The sale gave CVC Capital Partners a majority stake in the series......

Eh--$44million. Chump change. Not even enough to buy his daughter a starter house.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:43 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts

$44m is less than the retainer amount for the Bahrain GP that didn't go off.

They've been trying to bring down this SOB for years and no ones gotten close. I swear he must have been a cockroach in a previous life prior to him being a used car salesman earlier in this life....
Old 07-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Bernie,no way,he's as pure as the driven snow !
Old 07-21-2011, 04:57 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

errr, he divorced his wife , she got it all ...... SUPRISE ...
Old 07-21-2011, 04:59 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
$44m is less than the retainer amount for the Bahrain GP that didn't go off.

They've been trying to bring down this SOB for years and no ones gotten close. I swear he must have been a cockroach in a previous life prior to him being a used car salesman earlier in this life....
F**K .... related ?........
Old 07-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Jean-Marie Balestre is looking better and better.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wink

Are we supposed to be surprised?
Old 07-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

this is going to get interesting

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93218

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has admitted for the first time that he did pay money to banker Gerhard Gribkowsky - but says he only did so because he was 'threatened' over other financial matters.

Gribkowsky was charged this week for having allegedly accepted a $44 million bribe in relation to the sale of F1 by the Bayerische Landesbank.

Ecclestone has been investigated by German prosecutors over his role in the matter, and speaking to The Daily Telegraph he said that he did pay over money - but only because Gribkowsky threatened to expose some of his financial dealings to the Inland Revenue.

"The [Inland] Revenue obviously had to check everything," Ecclestone said. "It took five years going through that. I didn't deal with it. The trust had to show it was correct.

"The taxation people in England at the time were in the middle of settling everything with the trust and the last thing you need is for them to start thinking something different. He [Gribkowsky] was shaking me down and I didn't want to take a risk. Nothing was wrong with the trust. Nothing at all.

"He never said to me if you don't give me this I will say that. He left me with the fact that could he do it or not."

Although Ecclestone insists he had nothing to hide from the Inland Revenue, he elected to pay Gribkowsky because any investigations would have cost him money.

Ecclestone said he consulted his lawyers for advice on what to do.

"They said 'I tell you what would happen, the Revenue would assess you and you would have to defend it, because you could defend it, and you would be three years in court and it would cost you a fortune. Better pay'."

He added: "I never bribed anybody or paid any money to anybody in connection with the company. I got five per cent for the sale of the company. Bayerische Landesbank approved the sale and approved the commission, which was cheap.

"I should have got more because for that sort of deal a bank would have charged a lot more. There were no secrets."
Old 07-22-2011, 02:09 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts

Bernie, the victim.... love it.... he'll walk .... And you thought Clinton was teflon
Old 07-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 167 Posts

Bernie and Rupert. What a pair.

Quick Reply: Formula One Boss, Named in Bribery Investigation