Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My experience racing a Spec Race Ariel Atom at VIR (w/vid)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:39 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I hope it's a success. I assume that if enough of the spec cars get sold, the series will expand to other tracks and regions. The video does a good job of showing the dynamics of the car.
It's already a success. They've sold the all the SRA cars as fast as they could build them. Talks are now underway with tracks in other states, to do a similar race series next year.

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
What's a weekend run?
It's not setup as a rental arrive and drive situation. All of the racers own their cars, and most have TMI maintain & store them right there at VIR.

Originally Posted by TRT41
the atom in your avatar has front and rear wings, but the spec car has neither. What did you think about the difference in them?
The rear wing makes a very small improvement. Because the car doesn't really understeer, I have th front wing set nearly flat, so it's primary job is to look cool, which it does pretty well IMO.

Originally Posted by 356wannabe
Cars really seem twitchy and eager to swap ends?
Originally Posted by Sean F
what was the deal with that correction at 2:36?
Yes, the car had did have some oversteer issues. After this race we made several changes that really helped this, and more testing is planned to make further improvements. These cars have bespoke shocks and a new shock/spring/tire combo that's still being dialed in.

Also, for it's power/weight, this car is somewhat under-tired, especially compared to the sorts of cars most of us are used to. Although this does limit the ultimate lap time potential, it does a great job of keeping it fun and helping develop quick handed drivers. This combined with the complete lack of driver's aids makes this a car that rewards proper technique and punishes anything else.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:14 PM
prg
Pro

Looks like a lot of fun. Any idea what the typical weekend maintenance and consumable budget is for the guys having TMI maintain the car?
Old 07-23-2011, 01:35 AM
dp35
Pro

I believe they are using up most of a pair of rear R6 Hoosiers in a race weekend, which consists of ten 30 minute sessions. Front tires probably last roughly two race weekends. Based on my experience with my Atom, brake pads should last most if not all of a season. Other regular maintenance would just be fluids and nut & bolt checks. I'd guess that an average of $1,000 per race weekend should cover it.

That's not an official answer, just my guess.

Quick Reply: My experience racing a Spec Race Ariel Atom at VIR (w/vid)