Sponsored by:

Ecoboost report

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Efficiency aside, it will be interesting to see how these smaller, boosted engines hold up. I suppose that if you build them right, they should be able to withstand the stress. I have to believe that, with a trailer, those turbos are spooled up almost the entire time.

The European turbo diesels used in truck (e.g. Sprinter) and SUV platforms are generally 3.0 liters or less.
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=33286

I know this is a link from Ford and their marketing department but it is interesting to watch some of the videos. According to the infomercial the wear on the engine was very little for the miles and abuse put on it. We will see what comes of the engines as they are out there on the road but everyone I spoke with love the truck.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:24 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jonmacs22
there is a key factor that people are not discussing. The OP purchased the Max Tow Package which raises the diff ratio to 3.73 and 11,300 towing capacity. Alternatively, he could have ordered the truck with the Ecoboost and all of the towing options (integrated controller, anti-sway, etc) but without the Max package and the diff ratio would have been a 3.31 with 8200lbs of towing capacity.

The impressive fuel mileage results have all been with the 3.31 ratio (16 city / 22 highway, unloaded). If I were towing only a Trailex, this is what I would have selected if I was worrying about mileage.
This issue should be solved with gearing not optial final drives. Put a 3.55 or 3.73 in all trucks and than make 6th gear with super overdrive. That is your "unloaded hwy" gear. Then you use up to 5th for towing.

Personally 10 mpg towing big trailer and 23 mpg hwy (70-80mph) is ideal. Can't get that in any gas truck these days and you can do it in newer diesels due to emissions crap. It might be possibly in smaller 4L diesel, but I have never seen one of these in truck that could carry at 10k trailer. It not just about hp and torque, but about chassis stability when towing large heavy box.

Still it seems like the F150 Ecoboost is one of the better 1/2 ton truck choices out there right now.

Last edited by M758; 07-18-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
This issue should be solved with gearing not optial final drives. Put a 3.55 or 3.73 in all trucks and than make 6th gear with super overdrive. That is your "unloaded hwy" gear. Then you use up to 5th for towing.
From a cost perspective they probably don't want to have a limited run of "Max-towing" tranny's out there to support but it would be nice if they switched out 5th (last towing gear) and 6th (unloaded only with lock out when in tow/haul mode) to make the 3.73's more efficient.

The OP didn't mention it so it's not likely an issue but I'm curious how Ford is keeping that little 3.5L coolled down while pulling hard for extended periods?

Last edited by Eifeler; 07-18-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well for starters, compare radiators. The F150 has always had a massive rad, and Ford was the first to actually duct (force) the air to go through the rad and not spill away around it. Then look at the waterpump, and compare it to a silverado 1500 or ram 1500. The EcoBoost trucks all have an offset front licence plate with a large air-air intercooler placed dead center in the lower bumper.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Temp wasn't a problem at all...trans temp and water temp stayed absolutely normal even after long climbs @ 80+ deg.
I replaced the LH black bumper pad where the license plate goes with a blank FX4 one, then added screens from Cloud Rider Designs and had them powder coated satin black. Nice that front plates are not required in Alberta. I'm sure the screens restrict the air flow but without them the intercooler is quite exposed...still no heating problems.
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

The grill is a good idea. I'm not worried about leaves and bugs getting into the intercooler but I would be extremely irritated if a rock bent a fin on it or worse.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. Does the F150 have a boost gauge? If so, what kind of boost was showing at 75mph on the flat while towing?
Old 07-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

There is no Boost gauge on any of the EcoBoost vehicles. The honeywell turbo specs indicate peak power at 12psi, and when you plug a computer into an Ecoboost OBD port, 12psi is the maximum it reads on an F150 at WOT. I have seen some aftermarket vacuum boost gauges tapped installed that spike up to 15psi, but I doubt their accuracy.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost report