Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Call to ALMS.........Who is going to LRP?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:30 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 635 Likes on 324 Posts

I sit in my office, in front of a computer, 5 days a week. I don't want to sit at my desk on the weekend to 'enjoy' watching a race. That's why I have a big entertainment center, surround sound, comfortable couches and chairs....to watch shows I want to watch in comfort.

Plus if I'm not around to watch live, I can DVR it and watch it later Sunday night when I am. Can't do that on ESPN3.com.

AND....ESPN3.com is very spotty, if not working at all at my house. I tried using my work laptop to connect to my TV. the quality was so bad when expanded to 60", that I couldn't read the names of the drivers scrolling across to top. And it cut in and out every couple seconds. Turned it off after 15 min.

Haven't watched a ALMS race yet this year, and unfortunately don't plan on it. Sucks because I think it's the best racing to watch, loved it the past few years... I will be at Petit LeMans, but since I am in charge of running the PCA Car corral, I never get to actually WATCH any of the race. I usually DVR it and watch it on Sunday when I get home. Oh wait, can't even do that this year either.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 07-08-2011, 09:15 AM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 255 Posts

ESPN3 will also be streaming live qualifying at 325 eastern time today.

Watch it or don't watch it, at least you have a choice.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:29 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 635 Likes on 324 Posts

Those of us that work in an office don't have a "choice".

This is a useless discussion, and it's been hashed out all year. Moving to ESPN3 is fine for some, but nit fine, and in fact not accessible, to many. I'm still not sure how it's 'better' that a large part of the ALMS fan base can no longer watch the races.

Part of Good customer service is about making your product easily accessible to your market and enjoyable to consume. In no way is watching on your computer, or having to figure out how to hook it up to your TV by buying additional equipment 'easy' or 'enjoyable'. For some, it's a good option, but it is not easier than sitting back and turning on your TV.

Enough of this discussion. Do a search on ALMS new broadcast deal, it's a long and passionate debate. I cannot watch the races anymore. I wish I could, but theyve made it impossible for me and many others.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't going to go since I bought a motor a few months ago and just starting pulling the wiring harness and radiator off last weekend and was going to make some headway on dropping the motor tomorrow. decided last night to go. Found out one guy I camp with at Sebring for the 12 hours is on a plane this morning flying in to Hartford and 2 other Sebring camp mates are there already. Camping behind the bathrooms on the hill overlooking the midway with a bunch of cornerworkers. One of the guys I camp with is a righthander (volunteer) at the track. I'l be wearing my Navy Seal1 Bin Laden 0 t shirt raceday.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:31 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will just add one thing: you can supposedly watch replays of all the ESPN3 events. I haven't tried this myself, but if it's true you don't need to DVR it.

I completely understand where you're coming from, I was just trying to point out that it's not bad for everyone. Every change a company makes is going to make some happy and make some angry; you can't please everyone.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:32 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife and I will be there, guests of Paul Miller Motorsports, looking forward, I haven't had the chance to enjoy spectating since Silverstone last year.....
Old 07-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default have some fun Mike

Originally Posted by analogmike
I should be there in the #68 TRG/Analog Man 911 trying to keep out of the way of the prototypes.

Hope to see a lot of friends there!

I noticed your livery on the car, and thought it looked like you driving on Friday. You were headed into West Bend with about 3 GTS and a couple of PCs closing fast, and I'm thinking to myself, thats got be be a whole nother level of keeping your head on a swivle.

Way cool to share a track with the best that the factories have to offer!!!

Last edited by Alan G.; 07-09-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: way cool, not pretty cool
Old 07-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Morning Preview

BMW BMW
GM P. Long
GPM

Dead Last #62
Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Leaving in one hour, be there from 12:00 on...
Old 07-09-2011, 02:16 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Chaotic IMSA race.
Didnt go well for me. Made a few places on first laps, but got hit, and got a flat from avoiding a spinning car out of big bend.
2 pit stops, race was game over.
At least managed a decent lap With the rear toeng out and will start P9 in the second race at 5pm
Old 07-09-2011, 09:40 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
Chaotic IMSA race.
Didnt go well for me. Made a few places on first laps, but got hit, and got a flat from avoiding a spinning car out of big bend.
2 pit stops, race was game over.
At least managed a decent lap With the rear toeng out and will start P9 in the second race at 5pm
And made it up to 5th!. Good job......

http://www.imsaracing.net/2011/event...nal%20Race.pdf

I see Fernando finished 3rd in the first race, what happened to him in the second race?

Old 07-10-2011, 01:19 AM
jpowers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone remember: "ALMS for the Fans"?

What a load of BS
Old 07-10-2011, 01:14 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
And made it up to 5th!. Good job......

I see Fernando finished 3rd in the first race, what happened to him in the second race?

Thanks! Those races are insane! So close and so tough. You blink and you have 3-4 guys all over you, and you have to go 100% every lap.
I think this picture illustrates the Chaos of Turn 1:

This is what happened to Fernando:

Old 07-10-2011, 02:06 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great weather for the race weekend. Low humidity and moderate summer temperatures. Did get around to saying hello to Mike, James and Carlos. Kudos again to Mike for the win and Anthony for picking up third in GT The BMW's are hooked up and smoking hot. So is Ed Brown's wife for that matter and the Falkin Tire Girl. My friend was talking with Brian sellers and the Falkin Girl was next to him with the car being behind. I had to ask my friends 12 year old nephew if he saw a car. He said what Car, I said you passed. Not that there is anything wrong with failing. Late race flat crushed the lizzards from a chance of going for the win. The speed of Mosport will make it a long day for them in two weeks. There were a number of drivers who had never driven LRP before. The funniest moment was being introduced to Christiano de Matta, who is good friends of a friend. It is 2 hours before the start of the race and he is telling us he has had 6 laps in and doesn't know the track. Were all laughing, but he is serious and despite being as good as he is, he knows when the flag drops the mele begins for this race. My friend got him sorted out in 15 minutes, but the jags are still a work in progress, heavy vehicles and take the deccible award IMO. A new car is in the works. Kudos to CVR and there work with another great platz. I think there were 30 % more cars than last year and probably 50 % more vettes.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:07 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Here some of the photos I took: https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...ck-photos.html

Quick Reply: Call to ALMS.........Who is going to LRP?