Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R888 tire failure...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 01:43 PM
mtesh73
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lou, i would definately reach out to the manufacturer, if for nothing else at least to get it on record. i know other brands have been extremely obtuse to deal with when it comes to warranty claims. maybe toyo will be different, good luck. can't make t-bolt this weekend, but will be at pocono 7/2 and 7/3.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

agreed. Lou - DRIVE HARDER ! fyi. I only run -2.5 F, -1.9 rear. No trailer- drive to track
Old 06-22-2011, 06:30 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

900 miles ON TRACK on those tires............................................really......they looked great considering that....amazing really...except for the corded to the inside...which is due to not driving hard enough....

on my old racer with R888's came into the hot pits and it was 20F hotter on the inside (when I was new to track driving in my 1st racer).....I thought "take out camber"....and told my mechanic to do it...the mechanic told me .....NO....you will drive harder and the tires will even out.....he was right...they lasted a long time, or at least longer than the engine did...
Old 06-26-2011, 06:57 PM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could they be old stock or badly stored?

Consumer Advisory
TSD-07-001
November 15, 2007
Recommendations on the Proper Use, Handling, and Storage of Toyo Tires
This advisory applies only to the following products:
All Proxes® R1RTM All Proxes R888TM All Proxes RA1TM
This advisory addresses the proper storage of these tires in colder climates. As seen in the picture below, tires stored and operated at sub-freezing temperatures, i.e., at or below 32°F (0°C), will lose rubber compound flexibility and may experience cracking when operated under such conditions.
Tread cracking due to low temperatures
WARNING!
The rubber compounds used in these tires have unique properties that, when compared to other tires, can cause them to lose some of their flexibility when stored and operated at sub-freezing temperatures. This loss in flexibility can lead to potential cracking and other damage to the tire.
TO MINIMIZE THE CHANCES OF THIS HAPPENING, CONSUMERS AND INSTALLERS ARE ADVISED TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS DURING SUB-FREEZING CONDITIONS:
1. Do not operate the car with these tires, as the tires may suddenly fail. 2. Always store these tires indoors at temperatures above 32°F (0°C). 3. Before mounting or dismounting, store these tires for at least 24 hours in a temperaturecontrolled environment
of 68°F (20°C) or warmer. 4. Remove these tires from the vehicle and deflate to half the normal air pressure during prolonged periods of non-
use or storage. 5. Do not move a car that is in storage with these tires, as the tires may crack.
For more information, please contact Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp’s. Consumer Relations Department at (800) 442-8696. Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp. 6261 Katella Ave, Suite 2B Cypress, CA 90630 www.toyo.com
Old 06-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Mike Simard
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've run old 888s and they were so bad that they wouldn't build any heat at all. I've never seen anything like them, they were truly horrible. I wonder if they were "improperly stored"?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:02 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

You didn't tell us where you had been running before or which tire this was. If you have been running Lightning and that is a left rear, you should see how much worse my Hoosiers looked after two days. T- bolt chews up fronts and Lightning does rears, in my experience. If you really have the mileage you report, you are way ahead of the game.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:34 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Like Terry said, NJMP eats tires... I put about 2 hours on a new set of Hoosiers and they were really worn (well under 200 miles).
Old 06-27-2011, 07:32 AM
ninerguru
Racer

The worn tire was in diver's rear. My records indicate that I did 6 events at Pocono and 3 at the Glen with them. Pocono was a combination if North and Long courses... Ordering a new tire this AM. The tires are stored in my garage (unheated) and off the car. I have been doing that for years and never had problems with R1s or previous R888s...
Old 06-27-2011, 07:19 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ninerguru
The worn tire was in diver's rear. My records indicate that I did 6 events at Pocono and 3 at the Glen with them. Pocono was a combination if North and Long courses... Ordering a new tire this AM. The tires are stored in my garage (unheated) and off the car. I have been doing that for years and never had problems with R1s or previous R888s...
When you say events are those 2 day DE events or 1 day DE events. Still even at 1 day events that is a total of 9 DE days and your rears where not even to the wear bars. My R888's on the rear after 3 DE days are at the wear bar....I'm an alignment freak too always checking and running a little less toe these days to improve rear tire wear too.

Has Toyo said anything yet?
Old 06-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Hoosier R6 disintegrate at Lightning 2 weeks ago on the left rear inner sidewall. The tire came apart in the middle of the lightbulb. The tires had 9 heat cycles and very even wear across the tread. I am told this is not unusual at Lightning in a rear engine Porsche because of the stress put on the tire in the lightbulb. I was also told that the 285/30/18 I am running on the rear was not designed to be a rear tire and I should move to 295/30/18.

Quick Reply: R888 tire failure...