Sponsored by:

What was your most memorable pass?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Not necessarily my best of all time, but at least I've got this one on film. And it was one of my very first races in 944SuperCup. Watkins Glen, May,2009

Sweet! I am still not convinced you need to go down to 3rd gear for T11 and T1, however. Look how the green car gapped you there...
Old 06-22-2011, 11:32 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Sweet! I am still not convinced you need to go down to 3rd gear for T11 and T1, however. Look how the green car gapped you there...
No question, in fact I learned that from this very video; they're both 4th gear turns and I never do that anymore. And, the only reason I made the pass we're watching is because he got held up.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:48 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My first "real" one? SCCA licensing school @ Holtville in the fall of '83. My second track day ever. Friend whose Showroom Stock B RX-7 I'd prepped that year let me take it to AZ (where I'd just moved to finish college at ASU) for the fall/winter season.

There were only two groups--sedan and open wheel/sports racer. Based on "qualifying" of the 20-25 cars in the sedan group I was gridded second. Huh? Next to me was a woman in a GT1 Camaro. So we go flying off at the start, and coming off the back straight into the braking area she brakes early. Huh? So I dive inside and take the lead. For only about 1/2 a lap, of course. But it sure taught me to understand what I could do with my equipment, and not let under/poor driven "faster" competition dictate the event.

Lots of other stuff along the way, but that first weekend actually in the car--from driving 200+ miles on the tires I'd use to compete with, to pitching a tent next to the car, made it a memorable one.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:23 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Great stuff guys, thanks.

Thought you would like to see a story or two of our faculty's most memorable passes from their course on RacerUniversity.com :

Data coach Larry Herman at Watkins Glen

One of my favorite passes was at the start of the 2nd sprint race at the
2007 Watkins Glen PCA Club Race. In my 1994 RS America, I had won my
class in the first sprint, and turned the 2nd fastest time in the race
group, so that put me on the outside pole, next to the group winning and
higher classed GT3 of Barry Brensinger. I knew that he would beat me
into the first turn, so I had to make a great start to keep my position,
seeing that my main competition, a very fast 996 driven by Carl Talardy
would be trying to squeeze me out. As we came around the last turn onto
the straight, I saw the flaggers arm drop, and knowing the he was going
for the flag, floored it. With a fantastic start I jumped ahead of
Barry, but then his motor spooled up and in just a few seconds his 400
hp made short work of my 290 ponies. He pulled past just before we got
to turn one, and as I began to brake I looked for room to tuck in...but
Carl was there!! He had gotten a great start too, and boxed me out.
Not faint of heart, I went around the outside of turn one, and we
dragged raced down to the esses. Carl pulled ahead on power and though
I stayed outside of him on turn 2 not giving an inch, he had enough of a
lead to turn down on me into 3 and I had to breath off of the throttle.

I was pissed and gave the steering my signature slap. I thought "how
did Carl get such a great start" as we screamed up the back straight
headed towards the bus stop. I stayed directly behind Carl. At the 600
foot marker, Carl got on the brakes, and I twitched to the inside and
still flat on the floor, blew by him, standing on the brakes just at the
300 foot marker. On the verge of spinning, I bounced through the bus
stop, gathered myself going into turn 5, and Carl never saw me again. I
chased Barry for the entire sprint, finishing first in class and second
overall, but the first 30 seconds made that pass one of the memorable I
have ever had.

There aren't many former Formula One drivers you can hire as a coach. Tommy is with the Mid-Ohio School at, of all places, Mid-Ohio

Tommy Byrne at Silverstone:

"It was Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit , England 1982. Silverstone was the fastest track on the Formula 1 European circuits I was racing in a round of the British Formula 3 championship, which I was leading. The night before, I had flown in from Monza where I failed to qualified for the Formula 1 race. After I learned to drive the Formula 3 car again, I think I qualified 4th behind Martin Brundell, Enrique Mansilla, and Dave Scott of Great Britain.

Mansilla got the lead from Scott and Brundell. Then before the 1st lap had ended, I was passing Brundell when we had a bit of contact where he lost his front wing. I caught up to Dave Scott pretty quick where I slipstreamed up behind him going into Stowe, a right hand turn, which is a slight lift in 5th or what ever gear you arrive in. As I expected Scott blocked to the right. I went left he went left banging in to me with me banging back. By the time we got to the turn in point for Stowe he pushed me on the grass on the left at about 140mph. I was able to gather it all together and caught him back up pretty quick, and did the same thing next lap, and he did the same thing again, he did that for the next 18 laps. I had more down-force than him so I was only able to pull alongside on the outside, but never make the pass, especially as he would just run me off the rd every chance he got. (There were tire marks all over the side of my car when the race was over). He really wanted second place pretty bad! At the start of the year, he was one of the favorites to win the championship, but he had not even won a race, so he was driving in desperation (know your competitor).

During all of this the leader (Mansilla) was not getting away, Eventually going into Becketts on the 18 lap the pressure finally got to Scott and he went in to the turn too hot locked up, and that was all she wrote. I was past! He made a half *** effort at trying to pass me on the outside going up to Stowe ,but he knew better of it after what he just put me thru for the past 18 laps. Now I was starting the last lap. I caught Mansilla up by the time we got to Becketts (which is a 3rd gear right hander approaching in 5th gear). Mansilla still had a chance of winning the championship, so I figured he would not do anything as stupid as Scott (know your competitor).

I faked to the left, then switched back right at the very last minute where there was just enough room by inches, then hit the brakes and started to change down gears at the same time, 5th-4th-3rd, but I left my braking so late that I was about to overshoot, when I just stuck it down one more gear to 2nd, which give me the last piece of braking that I needed. He had nowhere to go but wait for me to gather it all up, and get behind me going down the long straight to Stowe. He did try to draught by but I was not going to let it happen. Once I got thru Stowe, I pulled away a couple of car lengths, and won what probably the race of my life. Remember the day before I had my Formula 1 team manager telling me that I could not drive, and here I was winning Formula 3 the next day. It was a good day for me."

If you want to learn Watkins Glen, here's a thought for you...

Figure out how many race laps you have. Pick a number as a multiplier. Chances are, RacerU faculty member and professional coach Peter Argetsinger has more laps just at the Glen than you have total laps with the multiplier. Not only has he taught there for decades, (when he wasn't off in Europe winning formula car championships or teaching at the top schools in the US and England), his Dad built the track. And almost as good as his coaching are the stories he tells about the place. (Ask him to drive you around the original town course -- you'll see God a couple of times)
Old 06-23-2011, 11:18 AM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno about the lengthy descriptions, guys, with all due candor, but I think to keep this potentially excellent thread alive we need videos. I know that I, for one, would much prefer it.
That, and a charge from the back is always exciting.
Here is the start of which I speak, taken from a car behind me. I am in the green 911. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_9deQ3_SnQ
Old 06-23-2011, 11:44 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

For all your calculating and assuming, why don't you just get a radio? It works 110% better.
What happens on this first lap? The camera car misses a shift at 1:49 and then goes by you, apparently coasting. DNF?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's always pleasant in sprint races when people line up in first corner with a traffic jam and pass them on the outside. They seem to be stuck with "the line" thinking somehow.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:13 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I've had some fun ones but the pass that Zanardi put on Herta at Laguna Seca in CART was awesome. I remember watching that live and not believing my eyes. I got to talk to Herta a few years ago and all I could remember was that pass.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:08 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For all your calculating and assuming, why don't you just get a radio? It works 110% better.
What happens on this first lap? The camera car misses a shift at 1:49 and then goes by you, apparently coasting. DNF?

Cold gearbox would not go into third, took four tries. I fought my way back to finish second in class. I'd love to get a radio setup but every time I think the funds will be there, something else unexpected comes up with the car. So my Plan B is to refine the car set up and improve my qualifying, so I don't start so far back I can't see the flag.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:39 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I can't imagine racing without a radio. For one, it's a safety feature, as you can be kept apprised of things. Two, it's more fun when you're in touch with crew/friends/wife. Three, I've jumped so many cars on starts and restarts it's worth more than a set of new tires. Four, it's nice to know when the checker is out and it's time to pounce. Five, oh forget it, you get the idea.....
Old 06-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, I can't imagine racing without a radio. For one, it's a safety feature, as you can be kept apprised of things. Two, it's more fun when you're in touch with crew/friends/wife. Three, I've jumped so many cars on starts and restarts it's worth more than a set of new tires. Four, it's nice to know when the checker is out and it's time to pounce. Five, oh forget it, you get the idea.....
#3 and #4 dont apply if you are already out front
Old 06-23-2011, 07:59 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took me a while to find it but I did. Thats me in the white Barbie Car.

Thanks again Sean

http://www.vimeo.com/6407453

Last edited by TIM COSTA; 06-23-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://vimeo.com/25533759
Old 06-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg, that was great. Every time that I though you were by the blue Miata was still there. That pass required trust, ***** and perserverance.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Nicely done! That guy (whom I know) gets extra credit for his license plate, however.

Quick Reply: What was your most memorable pass?