Sponsored by:

Austin F1 track petition!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:58 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Austin F1 track petition!

Excuse me if this is an Enzo, but it's worth it. Just got this e-mail from NASA:

Dear NASA Member / Former Member,
Please forgive me for this unsolicited email. This really isn’t about NASA either. It’s about a brand new, state of the art, racing facility here in the USA; Austin Texas to be exact.
They are trying to lock in a Formula One race, and without all of the state and local authorities fully onboard, it might not happen. If it doesn’t happen, the track project might fail.
Please spare just a few seconds to sign the petition referenced below. I am including the original letter from the track below.
Thank you for your help,
Jerry KunzmanExecutive Director
PS: The meeting is June 23.
Please spread this through all social media.

Jerry,
Thanks for taking the time to speak with me a bit this afternoon.
Just to recap: on June 23rd, Austin's City Council will vote on tax issues that will mean the difference between hosting the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix or not. It is very possible Circuit of The Americas will not be built if there does not appear to be enough support for it.
We are hoping to make an online petition go viral: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/supportusgpracing/
Any support you could lend us in terms of posting it on the NASA homepage or forwarding the link via newsletter would be of huge service! Also, Any clout you may have with various VIPs - and by that I'm talking about big names in Indy, NASCAR, and other series - would be of great help if it meant we could get drivers and teams tweeting regularly between now and the 23rd, or even posting it on their respective sites.
It's one thing to gain support from within, and another entirely if we can get U.S. racing the fans involved!
The petition was made in conjunction with Circuit of the Americas' media relations firm, Hahn, Texas (http://hahntexas.com/). And believe me when I tell you that it will make a positive impact on the City Council's decision-making process if we are able to collect enough signatures.
Thanks again. Please let me know if you have any questions,
-Austin Miller --
Please go online and sign the petition, it only takes a few seconds.
Thanks!
Old 06-21-2011, 01:09 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems it went out in mass, I got it about 30 min ago and was about to post it.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:11 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Also I got this as a follow up to it from another racer.

"Here is the Agenda. Items 20 and 21 last time I looked"

https://austin.siretechnologies.com/...doctype=agenda
Old 06-21-2011, 01:12 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

signed, thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,535 Likes on 810 Posts

I am gonna try to go to the hearing in person....
Old 06-21-2011, 01:16 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I am gonna try to go to the hearing in person....
Cool, we expect an update on how it goes, and also who shows up for it. I would think if Red would show it might carry some more weight, but somehow I doubt he will.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:21 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

two important pieces of buisiness:

Authorize negotiation and executions of agreements between the City of Austin, CJUF II Stratus Block 21 LLC and Capital Area Statues, Inc. relating to the donation and installation of a figurative Bronze sculpture of Willie Nelson to be located at 200 Lavaca Street, Austin, Texas.

Approve a resolution authorizing the City Manager to negotiate and execute an Interlocal Agreement with the TEXAS COMPTROLLER OF PUBLIC ACCOUNTS to (1) establish a Major Events Trust Fund for the Formula 1 U.S. Grand Prix and (2) set forth the rights and obligations of the parties as required under the Major Events Trust Fund statute.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Cool, we expect an update on how it goes, and also who shows up for it. I would think if Red would show it might carry some more weight, but somehow I doubt he will.
If I can make it, I will provide an update. Right now I am 50-50 being able to make it.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:27 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRT41
two important pieces of buisiness:

Authorize negotiation and executions of agreements between the City of Austin, CJUF II Stratus Block 21 LLC and Capital Area Statues, Inc. relating to the donation and installation of a figurative Bronze sculpture of Willie Nelson to be located at 200 Lavaca Street, Austin, Texas.

Approve a resolution authorizing the City Manager to negotiate and execute an Interlocal Agreement with the TEXAS COMPTROLLER OF PUBLIC ACCOUNTS to (1) establish a Major Events Trust Fund for the Formula 1 U.S. Grand Prix and (2) set forth the rights and obligations of the parties as required under the Major Events Trust Fund statute.
Willie will pass for sure.
We might need to pray and fight for the F1 track !
Old 06-21-2011, 01:31 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I signed it and I want the race here.

But it sure better have a continuing commitment to come to Texas - not the one and done.

I also suspect that the following comment is true.

"Brian Rodgers, a commercial real estate investor and frequent City Council critic, took issue with Formula One's entire business model, contending that the only way the race can be profitable is if governments like Texas give it public money.

"F1's greatest revenue is tax subsidies," he said."
Old 06-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexasRider
"Brian Rodgers, a commercial real estate investor and frequent City Council critic, took issue with the fact that he missed out on all the land deals that comprised Formula One's entire 1,300 acre project.

"I was robbed," he said."
Fixed it for ya!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:01 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexasRider
I signed it and I want the race here.

But it sure better have a continuing commitment to come to Texas - not the one and done.

I also suspect that the following comment is true.

"Brian Rodgers, a commercial real estate investor and frequent City Council critic, took issue with Formula One's entire business model, contending that the only way the race can be profitable is if governments like Texas give it public money.

"F1's greatest revenue is tax subsidies," he said."
With F1 who really knows on committment.
On tax subsidies, what industry hasn't gotten public help of some sort ? The auto manufactures ? Banks ? Lets be serious. F1 wants $$$$ but also will bring the circus to town with lots of $$$$ they will leave in Austin as well. It's Bernie's circus and he will bring it to whomever pay's to play.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:51 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This meeting is taking place tomorrow! We need to be heard. I sent an e-mail to each and everyone of the City Council members, and I strongly urge y'all to do the same.
Here's the one I sent this morning:

As part of your city council meeting scheduled for tomorrow, you will vote on two resolutions that will determine the future of a possible Formula 1 circuit in Austin (items #20 and 21 on the day's agenda).
I urge you to support these two resolutions. Formula 1 (F1) is the pinnacle of Motorsports and is by far the sport with the largest fan base on the planet. The Formula 1 Championship is without a doubt, the most celebrated and prestigious title in world motorsports, with TV viewership on par with only the soccer World Cup. It is estimated that 800 million people tune into F1 over the course of a single year. During races, more than 250,000 people watch it on site.

Construction of the Circuit of the Americas in Austin will bring tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people to central Texas, to participate in various venues. The track will also be used to run Moto GP races, another motorsport championship with a great fan base throughout the world. The rest of the calendar year can easily be used for testing by proifessional race teams, including the NASCAR series, and other national autosport associations.

The motorsports community in the USA is very excited about the possibility of a Formula 1 race being held here, something that has not happened since 2007. As an active member of the Porsche Club of America I can attest to the great sense of expectation and the "buzz" that is felt at each and avery one of our events regarding the return of F1 to our country.

In short, I strongly add my support to construction of this racetrack in Austin. It will greatly help the local economy by creating jobs, and it will bring a fantastic amount of exposure to the area.
Please support these resolutions with your vote. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Jose A. Bossolo, MD
Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon
Board Certified Hand and Upper Extremity Surgeon

Their e-mail addresses are:

lee.leffingwell@ci.austin.tx.us
mike.martinez@ci.austin.tx.us
bill.spelman@ci.austin.tx.us
chris.riley@ci.austin.tx.us
sheryl.cole@ci.austin.tx.us
randi.shade@ci.austin.tx.us
laura.morrison@ci.austin.tx.us

Let's get the ball rolling! It truly is up to us to show our support for this venue.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:17 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Shade who is generally pro-developer just got booted off the council
(She just lost this past Saturday's run-off election vote)
and Tovo who is on the flip side of the coin just got voted in
and it will be sworn in at her first council on the 23rd.

For the past few years the council has been split and Shade has been
the sway vote. The election publicly polarized the council.
With Shade gone, and Tovo coming in, this may be retaliation time.
Tovo may go status quo -- or she may go in to make an election
and environmentalist point.

Don't expect a positive outcome.

M
Old 06-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Tovo will NOT be in place tomorrow. She won't be in place until early July, IIRC.

Quick Reply: Austin F1 track petition!