Sponsored by:

SP Boxster Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:08 AM
kush07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SP Boxster Tire Question

From what I understand you are allowed to run a square tire set up in Porsche Club racing, but SCCA requires a smaller front tire.

Is there any disadvantage to running the square set up?
Old 06-19-2011, 12:39 AM
txhansen
Advanced

This is a matter of some debate. In Texas we are big fans of the square set up largely due to lower tire costs. Rotating plus the lower purchase price of the rears is where we see the savings but people in others parts of the country have different experiences. On high speed tracks I believe there is a general consensus that the square set up costs you a little time due to the wider front profile.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by txhansen
This is a matter of some debate. In Texas we are big fans of the square set up largely due to lower tire costs. Rotating plus the lower purchase price of the rears is where we see the savings but people in others parts of the country have different experiences. On high speed tracks I believe there is a general consensus that the square set up costs you a little time due to the wider front profile.
I think this is spot on.
I run the square 255 set up and love it. The turn in is better and understeer is minimized.
I'm not sure how much more weight the extra two 8.5 rims plus extra rubber add in weight versus the 7 inch rims.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:05 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I'm not sure how much more weight the extra two 8.5 rims plus extra rubber add in weight versus the 7 inch rims.
A fair bit, actually.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:19 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,821 Likes on 2,386 Posts

it depends on your track and how you drive. i prefer 225 front, in fact, i drove square for 2 laps, hated it. 171mph, is REALLY fast in BSR, and he also prefers 225 front. in so cal, they like square.

for example, most of the square guys had to disconnect rear bar at Laguna
with 225 i like the rear bar tight.
up to how you like it.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:35 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
it depends on your track and how you drive. i prefer 225 front, in fact, i drove square for 2 laps, hated it. 171mph, is REALLY fast in BSR, and he also prefers 225 front. in so cal, they like square.

for example, most of the square guys had to disconnect rear bar at Laguna
with 225 i like the rear bar tight.
up to how you like it.
I am surprised that you were able to set-up your car correctly and determine that you did not like square in just 2 laps. I know it took us a long time to get our settings changed when we moved from 225 to 255 before we felt we had the square set-up all dialed in.

What is often left out of this discussion is the fact that many of the early builds, the ones that typically prefer 225, have the H&R rear sway bar. Most of the later cars have the Tarret. Based on all the feedback I gathered when I was running in the series it seemed to me that the H&R bar may have been better suited for the smaller front tire while the Tarret bar made it much easier to dial in a proper set-up with the 255.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:05 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,821 Likes on 2,386 Posts

it's been a while since i raced BSR. it was 2009 i think.
i drove it, my tech drove it whose super fast, didn't like it. certainly more time testing will make it feel better but the 225 was really nice and fast for the nor cal tracks. in fact i think most of the BSR here are still on 225. and some of them have been playing with square for a long time.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:52 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

We're still running the smaller front tire in the Southern California series. It would seem that the square set-up may be well suited for smaller, tighter tracks, but the smaller front would be my obvious choice for high speed stuff.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:01 PM
kush07
Racer

Thanks for the input guys. Really appreciate it.

Scott
Old 09-26-2011, 05:03 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what's the opinion on square vs. staggered for autocross use?

I've been told to get as much possible meat on the ground and maximize mechanical grip (which is what I have generally done) but the end result is that unless I get everything PERFECT and maximize my trail braking, if I wash out of grip the understeer becomes terminal - I keep wishing I had more front bite.

I am really tempted to run a 265 square setup on 16"x9"

Any real benefit in going with 17s or 18s anyways?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:46 PM
BigKraut
Instructor

Originally Posted by cretinx
Any real benefit in going with 17s or 18s anyways?
I would think that for Auto-X (where acceleration is more important than top speed) that a smaller diameter wheel would be better. Maybe even 16" if you can get the tire width you desire.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:39 AM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKraut
I would think that for Auto-X (where acceleration is more important than top speed) that a smaller diameter wheel would be better. Maybe even 16" if you can get the tire width you desire.
Word on the street is that some lunatics in San Diego are running 15" wheels with 275/35/15 tires all around - that's a 10% shorter gear ratio than stock plus a **** ton of grip!

No idea if a 15" wheel would clear my Boxster S brakes though. Been searching and asking and nobody has any clue.

Quick Reply: SP Boxster Tire Question