Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a lift.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011 | 09:03 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

How about you don't purchase or decide on which lift until you build the garage? It is not hard at all to build a garage that will easily accept a 2 post lift. A 10 foot celling is enough for a Bend-pac floor plate type 2 post lift. Scissor, parallelogram and other mid-rise type lifts that intrude on the underside of the car are a pain to deal with when working on the car. Unmounted X type lifts have their own box of instability risks to contend with.

what is a "lowish" celling hight?
Old 06-17-2011 | 09:59 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by kurt M
How about you don't purchase or decide on which lift until you build the garage? It is not hard at all to build a garage that will easily accept a 2 post lift. A 10 foot celling is enough for a Bend-pac floor plate type 2 post lift. Scissor, parallelogram and other mid-rise type lifts that intrude on the underside of the car are a pain to deal with when working on the car. Unmounted X type lifts have their own box of instability risks to contend with.

what is a "lowish" celling hight?
The design is already a done deal and due to the roofline, even with the door tight to the ceiling, it's probably no better than 9 feet. A full-height, walk-under lift just isn't in the cards. ;-(
Old 06-17-2011 | 10:02 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Ok then. What do you plan to use the lift for?
Old 06-17-2011 | 10:38 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I wouldn't get a lift for just the SRF personally. Get some high chassis stands and one of the high lift jacks. If you're thinking for other cars then that's another story.
Old 06-17-2011 | 10:46 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Not just for the SRF. I also like to do routine stuff (brakes, fluids) on the family fleet.
Old 06-17-2011 | 06:00 PM
jrj3rd
Track Day

Greg

Go for the MaxJax. They are running a group buy on garage journal that gets it delivered for 1750. I absolutely love mine and if you need to move it it just unbolts and rolls against the wall. Olser picture, it now sits in another bay after I redid the floors.

John
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2011 | 04:36 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

I don't understand how some of these simpler lifts work.
Don't they crush everything under the car?
Old 07-27-2011 | 05:06 PM
cardsrule
Pro

We purchased our house just because of the garage and the height of the ceiling. after a lot of hard work I installed a two post lift and I LOVE it! I am lucky with the height of the ceiling I can walk right under the car (and I am 6'5). I have used the scissor lifts in the past but if there is anyway you can put in a two post lift go for it!
Old 07-27-2011 | 05:43 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Another happy MaxJax user with a low garage ceiling here. Mine has been worth every penny I spent on it. It seems like I have the motor out of my car every other weekend and it was a huge pain when I just had jackstands and an engine hoist to work with. I couldn't imagine working on the car with the middle part obstructed with the sissors jacks. I bought mine in a group buy at Garage Journal too. $1750 is a decent price. Costco used to sell them with free shipping.

Old 07-27-2011 | 11:52 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

I'm now thinking that this MaxJax is the total solution for me, too! Thanks for the direction, guys.

Looking studly there, Chris! ^^
Old 07-28-2011 | 12:34 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Check out Costco for the MaxJax.
Old 08-03-2011 | 11:27 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

www.garagejournal.com is the obsessive-compulsive's equiv of RL for garages, wealth of info. I had different issues, and just installed one of BendPaks rare single post platform lifts.

I love the maxjax concept but I dunno, somehow would rather entrust my mortal coil to a scissors style design...
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Buying a lift.