Sponsored by:

Coming back after a wreck

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:28 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Coming back after a wreck

Not me but my son. He races dirtbikes and had a terrible wreck about 3 weeks ago. It was during practice and there was a guy on a 250 (Cooper rides an 85)practicing next to him. The guy hit the triple where the smaller bikes hit it as double +1. Cooper was in his landing area and got demolished. Fractured skull and some bruising but no bleeding on the brain or any other broken bits. His neck brace and chest protector did their jobs exceptionally well, even though they are trashed now. He's healing extremely well and was released from the hospital after 2 days in ICU. Now it's just going to be holding him back for 6 months, per the Dr.s orders.
I can imagine most of your thinking why was there a 250 on the track at the same time as an 85. That is typical at this track and some of the others in our area during open practice days. It's ridiculous and needs to change ASAP.
Now, my other son races as well and he's got a race next weekend at the same track. I am having a terrible time getting over the image of seeing Cooper laying on the track unconcious. Maybe it's just too soon but I shouldn't limit my other son b/c of what might happen. If that was the case, I'd never get in a racecar again or leave the house for that matter. Or let the kids play sports or race go-karts, etc.
Any input that you guys have would be helpful. I can't believe I'm struggling with this like I am.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. Glad to hear your son is doing better. Unfortunately, many of our leisure activities involve speed.....and risk. I hope his recovery continues well, and that he does indeed get back up on the saddle when its right/safe to do so.

FWIW, it appears he was properly appointed with his safety gear, and that it did its job just as best it could. This incident can be treated as a lesson learned; situational awareness is a never ending learning process. And events like what he experienced can reinforce his heightened awareness whenever he's in close proximity to another rider, particularly if very different. In practice, sometimes it pays to back off in order to gain a bit of open track. Unfortunately, my only track experiences are in a car, so I can't talk to the specifics of motorcycle racing.

Not sure what the sanctioning bodies can do about combining classes at certain times, particularly practice sessions. Sometimes time is at a premium and they do what they can. I'm sure their intentions are not to harm anyone.

Best wishes to your and your family, and to a 100% recovery of your boy.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:48 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

A little cavalier, but: horse/saddle/move on... The real issue will be if HE wants to continue or if it has been too traumatic, but getting back in and not overthinking it is pretty important, like everything confidence is critical...

Can you see the whole track from the stands? Get the helmets wired and get some good radios and spot for them from the stands...just don't talk too much you'll be irritating...
Old 06-16-2011, 10:49 AM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I race cars, my 11 year old daughter has been riding and jumping horses for 7 years and has her own go cart so we are not a risk averse family. However, I draw the line at motorcycles. I will not ride one or let anyone in family ride or get on the back of one. I am in the insurance business and understand that statistics can be twisted any way you want but there is no doubt in my mind that riding motorcycles is infintiely more dangerous that almost anything you can do. Put the kids in go carts or cars and get them off the bikes. They have an underdeveloped sense of self preservation, it's up to you to protect them until they are old enough to make that call on their own.

Edit: maybe they are old enough already, but I got the impression they are under 18
Old 06-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow... That is a tough one since the injury was so serious.

How old are they? That affects your decision.

My 9 yr old suffered a slight concussion in a hockey game but it wasn't as serious as your son's injury so the decision was easy for me and he had no feelings of being scared etc.
Same for older (16 yrs who also plays hockey), he's had some injuries but nothing serious enough I'd consider not letting them play.

For you, even though I don't know their age (can't be old though if they are riding 85 cc bikes), you have to make a decision if you let them race dirt bikes EVER.
If you will as it seems you do, then you let your other son race next weekend. In a way it's better he's at the same track so soon since it will get him "over" of any fear he might have.

Have you asked them how they feel about this and racing again?

From personal point of view (this is assuming your kids will continue racing), I've had bunch of injuries racing dirt bikes and I ALWAYS went back to the same track, to the same spot as soon as I was healthy enough to ride again. Took the same jump that put me into hospital, same turn that dislocated my knee etc. and possibly slightly faster than the time before.
I believe if you don't do that, and as soon as possible, you will never do that.

The fact that 85 cc bikes and 250s are at the same time is or is not a concern. Are the 85s small wheel & frame bikes or large wheel & frame?
If they're large, then IMO it's ok but if they're small (essentially mini bikes), I can not understand how that is allowed and if I'm honest, how you allow your son(s) to be there with adults.
Speed differentiate is just so different and they do so different things, especially in jumps as in this case.
Hopefully this makes people who decide make the right decisions and put different times for different sizes.

Your son got hurt pretty bad but it actually could've been much worse, absolutely great that you had the right safety equipment for him.
His neck brace, chest protector and helmet will go to the garage shelf as memories and you will get new, maybe even better ones.

Good luck to your son with his healing process!
Old 06-16-2011, 02:23 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. They are 13 and 14. Cooper is the 13 year old.
Finn, Cooper was riding a KTM. Great bikes. I saw yours listed in your rides.
Great advice about getting radios for the helmets. That could've really come in handy. I can see about 95% of the track from the viewing tower.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:41 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had a lot of injuries.
I broke my leg in MotoCross when I was 16. I came back a much better rider. This was in the days when suspension was just evolving. Speeds soared and it became too dangerous so I got out.
I broke my wrist mountain biking 20 years ago, and it affected my dental partnership at the time.
I crashed in a PCA race a few years ago and needed a shoulder surgery. It took me a long time to trust others around me during starts.
I had a very serious accident on my bicycle just 3 years ago. My kids were nearly orphaned. I was post-concussion for months. It took me a long time to get back on and I've tapered off considerably, as much as I love to ride.
Circumstances are always different, and we all take measures to minimize risk, but we aren't playing musical instruments here.
The kid will get back of his own volition, and may decide not to. I wouldn't push him either way. Still, a fractured skull is pretty damn serious to me.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:53 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I hope your son is ok. I understand your feeling, my little guy just turned 7 and he has been racing karts since he is 5. I get a lot of grief from people saying he is to young and can get hurt. He has been riding a quad in the yard since he is 2 also, i get grief for that also.

I explain that he likes it, i am not pushing him and he wears the best safety equipment and just like in sports people get hurt. Kids have been hurt far worse than your son in football, hockey, even baseball with the metal bats. I do understand your concern and everytime my son is on the track i ask myself if i made the right choice letting him race, its tough being a parent and sitting on the side lines watching and knowing you can not help them if they are in trouble.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:51 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

He would ride today if I'd let him. The only time he cried during the whole thing was when the doc told him not to ride for 6 months. I'm curious to see how fast he rides when he gets back on. He was flying that day. He was on pace to win the next race or at least podium based on his lap times. The good news would be that he never saw it coming and doesn't remember any of it (if that can be considered good news) so it may not effect him as much as it has me. I was about 15' from him when it happened and I was the first one there. I wish I could unsee it. Maybe time will help.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:54 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having different classes of bikes during practice sessions is not unusual on our local dirt racing tracks. The 250 who landed on your son is responsible for the incident. On a dirt track you have to hold your line and the passing bike has to find a way to do it safely, especially when you have a kid on a smaller bike in front of you. The problem is that you have A LOT of inexperienced teenagers on 250 and even 450 bikes that just don't care. They want to pass you and will do every stupid moves they can to do it. That's why I quit motocross 5 years ago (after a broken ankle that took years to heal).

It is an issue of accepting the risks involved depending of the enjoyment you find in a sport like this. For me car racing is a no brainer as at least you are protected by a roll cage and a 5 points harness. For kids, kart racing can be dangerous but never as much as motocross. I saw so many kids in wheel chairs with 2 broken legs in motocross... on the other hand, one of my best friends is a former national MX champ and his career brought a lot to him. I think that if a kid has really an exceptional talent in MX, he should be supported by his parents. It is a tough decision to take and I personnaly wouldn't make that decision on behalf of my kids but I would certainly try to convince them to quit if I don't see a real future for them in such a brutal activity.

BTW, I never saw anyone with a radio system in motocross and I don't think it is a good idea. All your body parts have to be 100% focused on the track in front of you !

Last edited by GT3 Techno; 06-16-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:18 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Really sorry to hear about your son and wish him all the best in a speedy recovery.

I would take this as an opportunity to take stock of what his goals are in this sport and then carefully consider the risks. Far too often I find even myself swept away by competition that I forget the big picture. I know that when I was his age, I wasn’t considering how getting injured on a bike could effect me for the rest of my life.

Also, what happened in his practice could just have easily have happened in a race (with similar bikes) if he had come up short on a jump etc. I am not suggesting that the 250 rider is not at fault, only pointing out not to believe that if he had only been on track with other 85s, that this sort of thing could not have happened.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:38 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

I see it a little differently. I'm a father too with experience my kid does not have. I'm responsible for seeing the set-ups for disaster because I have the experience. My kid should be there for "safe controled fun." I don't know your sport but there are set-ups in every sport that invite damage. Mitigate those. On the track I have never seen low formula 1200lb cars mixed with 3000lb corvettes. Play where the event looks out for your safety. Contrast some trackdays I have been to with an ambulance and a pick-up truck masquarding as a towtruck and only 1/2 the flag stations manned by volunteers, VS. SCCA who has onsite medical doctor, advanced cardiac life support, 2 flaggers per station and real tow trucks and fire crew. How many are still running their race cars with unsupported nascar bars, no hans, 5pt, expired plastic FIA seat with a spine poker for a back brace? I laugh at people who say a hans is too expensive but spend 1200 on tires! OK... I guess that is just darwinism. I think we have a lot of control without telling our kids, "no".
Old 06-16-2011, 10:53 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I see it a little differently. I'm a father too with experience my kid does not have. I'm responsible for seeing the set-ups for disaster because I have the experience. My kid should be there for "safe controled fun." I don't know your sport but there are set-ups in every sport that invite damage. Mitigate those. On the track I have never seen low formula 1200lb cars mixed with 3000lb corvettes. Play where the event looks out for your safety. Contrast some trackdays I have been to with an ambulance and a pick-up truck masquarding as a towtruck and only 1/2 the flag stations manned by volunteers, VS. SCCA who has onsite medical doctor, advanced cardiac life support, 2 flaggers per station and real tow trucks and fire crew. How many are still running their race cars with unsupported nascar bars, no hans, 5pt, expired plastic FIA seat with a spine poker for a back brace? I laugh at people who say a hans is too expensive but spend 1200 on tires! OK... I guess that is just darwinism. I think we have a lot of control without telling our kids, "no".
You can't compare MX and car racing. They are different animals but I agree that you have to be aware of these differences. There are much more injuries in MX. That's part of the sport. It is not simply because events are not as well organized as car racing. I personally don't know any MX racers that didn't have a broken bone doing it competitively !

If you are ready to live with this, it is the most exciting sport I ever did in my entire life (and I will break the 50 years this summer...). There is nothing like clearing a 60' gap with only 15' to get up to speed coming out of a turn ! These machines have so much power and traction.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:34 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

At 13 he is immortal -- and for all intents and purposes -- the incident was a fluke -- especially in his eyes I'm sure and it certainly wasn't his fault.

He might be a little intimidated at first -- but when he gets back in the thick of things he won't be thinking about it.

Just make sure he has top notch safety equipment. Fight to make the track safer,
and I think the radios are a good idea -- it you can control yourself :-)

cheers,

Mike
Old 06-17-2011, 11:43 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Motocross is the most fun and physically demanding sports that I've done. I still love dirt bikes and watch it all on TV. I recall getting to a point where I was absolutely fearless on a motorcycle; had so many crashes, got run over, all kinds of things and wasn't getting hurt, so I didn't think I would. Then I broke my leg in a comparatively minor fall and from then on I was a much smarter rider, much less wild. Probably should have learned that lesson sooner!

Quick Reply: Coming back after a wreck