Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coming back after a wreck

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For two days, I have tried to formulate a response. I'm a parent of 3 (ages 12, 12 and 14) and there is no easy answer. When your child takes up a hazardous sport/hobby and you choose not to intervene, then there is no absolution for you if something tragic happens. That doesn't make it wrong, but it makes the anguish and guilt something you have to factor in, weigh and act upon. As they get older, it becomes more of their decision, but really that's not until they're at least 15 to 18 years old.

If a 12 year old son gets hurt playing tennis, I feel sorry for him, but do not feel personal responsibility. If a 19 year old son gets hurt dirt biking, I feel sorry for him, but not personal responsibility. If a 12 year old son gets hurt dirt biking, I would feel personal responsibility. That's an assumed risk.

As to your situation, the best thing you can do is tell your son exactly what you are feeling. Then (as other said) exercise your powers as a Dad to make your son as safe as possible within the sport.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:42 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks Greg.
Well said.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:00 PM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a friend who had a son riding ATV's competively. He was really good,had a room full of 5' tall trophies and was begining to get national recognition along with factory sponsorship.
Then all of a sudden at about age 16 and after seeing his friends getting seriously injured and in one case even killed, he made the decision on his own to quit. Cold turkey.
He had come to a very mature and calculated decision that it just wasn't worth it any longer.
Don't know if I could have done the same thing at that age but he did and I truely respected that young man's decision.
Althoug his dad was disappointed he endorsed and supported this decision 100% and hopefully you will be able to do the same no matter what your sons decision may ultimately be.
Good luck to you and your boys in the future.
Tom B.
Tom B.

Quick Reply: Coming back after a wreck