ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,211 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Uh, Peter, yes we do.
It must be global warming, then...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

There's no question, It's the heat. Everyone loves the track no one want's to be there from Memorial day and Labor day. Or maybe it's the steward
Old 06-07-2011, 08:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,211 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Jacobs
There's no question, It's the heat. Everyone loves the track no one want's to be there from Memorial day and Labor day.
I thought that was Sebring...
Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'd love to ask the same question about the MO race, but I think you've already started the discussion - thanks.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:43 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
I'm the steward for the PCA CR at VIR June 24-26. The event chair and I have been discussing why the registrations are slow low for this event. Other than the fact that I'm the steward...........do any of the PCA club racers on the racing forum have any comments on why they are NOT entered for VIR?

Weather?
Too many PCA club races too close together both from a geographic and time frame?
Distance to VIR?
Gas/Fuel prices?
The economy?
Other?

I'm going to ignore any replies that attack the fundamental PCA CR program format but with The Clash at The Glen having over 240 racers in attendance and VIR at 75, something is obviously going on? What is it?
Our attendance was a bit down at Mid Ohio this year, we attribute to several factors, the economy and gas prices is one, being two weeks away from Watkins( a big event) is another issue. we also had a NASA event the same weekend. I think registrations are down in many venues.

Originally Posted by Carrera51
I like the idea of a date switch with Mid Ohio, but doubtful it would happen since Grand Am was at VIR the weekend of the Mid-Ohio PCA race. I would love to see the last weekend in February for the VIR race. NASA Mid Atlantic season opener in February. Sure it can be cold, but that's better than 100 degrees in the paddock.
We are going to consider a move but it would not be on the VIR Weekend we would have to work something out with the track that also works with the schedule.
Bottom line, i think we can do better with the schedule.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:36 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 806 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
Weather?
I did it one year and it was 95 degrees every day. An early day (in the March timeframe) or late date (Oct/Nov) would likely draw more folks.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I went last year for the first time, did the first day with no cool suit and dont know what i was thinking (oh yeh they messed up the mailing of my shirt)
It was unbelievably hot, if you dont have a AC trailer/bus or room to hang out in then it was rediculous in between races.
I was going to skip the race but had a few locals decide to sign up so i ended up signing up the other night.
if it wasnt for the friends visiting i would have skipped this and had my fix from the Glen where it was hot but very nice (aka well under 100)
from the looks of DE's and CR and some other cars i dont think the economy has a ton to do with it, ive seen more gt3, gt2s, new cars bought then ive seen in the past few years

also the cash prizes down to 10th place (100,000 for first 10,000 for 10th) really make the glen a must go. if you guys did something like that there would be no need to change the date.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
I did it one year and it was 95 degrees every day. An early day (in the March timeframe) or late date (Oct/Nov) would likely draw more folks.
Agreed. I did it the following year and it was insane hot. It's only gotten hotter on subsequent races.

I realize you can't control the weather but *I* can control whether or not I want to race in those conditions.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:37 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default WHY

VIR is such a great venue for sure. The weather has been hard to take for the last two years no doubt. I tried to search the average temps for the past 10-20 years but the sites I found charge for the info. Last year, VIR was unbearble in June but NJMP in August was excellent. So it is possible we will see better temps. Others have said late June is not good as school is out and people are on vacation

Whatever the reasons, if this location and date continue to present problems, I do not see how this event can continue with this level of support. Very sad for sure. I will be there and hope for more H cars over the next two weeks!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:17 AM
U4EEAH
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bella1
VIR is such a great venue for sure. The weather has been hard to take for the last two years no doubt. I tried to search the average temps for the past 10-20 years but the sites I found charge for the info. Last year, VIR was unbearble in June but NJMP in August was excellent. So it is possible we will see better temps. Others have said late June is not good as school is out and people are on vacation

Whatever the reasons, if this location and date continue to present problems, I do not see how this event can continue with this level of support. Very sad for sure. I will be there and hope for more H cars over the next two weeks!
WEATHER CHANNEL MONTHLY AVERAGES...88 DEGREES LATE JUNE
Old 06-08-2011, 11:56 AM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried to make it the last 2 years and it usually comes down to school/summer trips with the family.
This year my wife / son are leaving for Europe and they had to come first.
Sorry, Alex really wanted to help increase the H class showing.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Too hot.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:15 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Maybe the NASA and SCCA guys are right.....PCA is for pansies...
Old 06-08-2011, 02:58 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When there was 2' of snow outside my garage door in Jan and the temp was 0 degrees F, I had fond memories of the 100 degree temps at VIR last June. I'll be there this year with cool suit regardless.

JF
Old 06-08-2011, 03:25 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NASA's summer data is usually late July, and its usually bloody hot. I can remember some killer weekends when I was series racing in 944 SuperCup. Everybody in the series raced regardless of the heat, of course. These events were very well subscribed. NASA's title for the July VIR event is HEAT WAVE! At lease there's no misleading advertising in that name.

Quick Reply: PCA CR at VIR - Why not a larger field?