Sponsored by:

RA1 vs R6 vs R1

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,560 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
I knew something! Finally! Somebody tell my wife I'm not ALWAYS wrong!

-td
Like a stopped clock: correct at least once a day
Old 05-31-2011, 08:50 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Hmm.....my thread got very interesting..... I must have missed the threads that got MK banned.....I didn't read anything still posted that seemed offensive or out of line.... He is speaking of his experience running Hoosiers and RA1's which is exactly what I wanted in this thread.... I am hoping I missed something significant!!!

I also found it odd that so many local race cars that are both heavy and powerful run A6's.... The griggs mustang, comp coupe viper and ST2 Corvette are obvious choices.... Granted they are burning through tires per weekend or more..... My friend with the ST2 vette also runs Hoosier R100's and really likes them...he also says they are on par with A6's, but last longer....he says the R80's are faster than A6's..but are a 1 (3HC) day tire....
Old 05-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

In my experience, Hoosier R100's are much, much better than either the A6 or R6. Not Yoko or Michelin Blue good, but pretty damned close. R80's seem to have high wear rates/cording rates.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
In my experience, Hoosier R100's are much, much better than either the A6 or R6. Not Yoko or Michelin Blue good, but pretty damned close. R80's seem to have high wear rates/cording rates.
My same friend who owns the ST2 corvette started doing DE's at the same time I did back in 08...he drove a stockish C5 Z06....with about 450whp and a few suspension mods he ran a 1:58.9 over the top at Thunderhill on R100 and LOVED THEM.....he had not broken 2:01 prior to running the R100's..... He is a better driver now....and is near 1:55 in the same vette with a few tweaks....

Here is a video of his ST2 vette on A6's (315 all around I think, 3260lbs)

http://www.vimeo.com/22579328

I think he ran a 1:53.5 that day....the car chasing him is an LS1 Miata with an excellent driver....
Old 05-31-2011, 10:05 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Couple of thoughts:
Corvettes seem to like to run A6's; successfully from what I hear...i have no idea why they work. In my experience racing, on a warm to hot day i am thrilled when a competitor shows up with A6's. I know the tires will go off and if he was in front I will have a better shot of getting around him and that is in a 35 minute race. I think the A6 tend to develope more understeer as the front tires tend to get punished in 944/968 cars.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:27 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John D.
The proverbial straw:
https://rennlist.com/forums/8599866-post20.html (I just deleted that post. If you didn't get to read it, well - you missed it )

That broke the camel's back:
https://rennlist.com/forums/8599978-post24.html

I won't bore you with a thirteen year (yes, that is 13 YEARS - this month, almost EXACTLY to the DAY! May 28, 1998) legacy from there to here, today - but I could.

I've been doing this a long time.

My Best Always,

John
While I agree Kibort was annoying, what he posted wasn't wrong. The way he presents his information isn't the best, but he does provide a valid viewpoint.

I hope the moderators respond to each reported post, no matter the author.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:33 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_M3
While I agree Kibort was annoying, what he posted wasn't wrong. The way he presents his information isn't the best, but he does provide a valid viewpoint.

Check your pm.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SG_M3

It sure was wrong, Sean. He was saying that Hoosier didn't know what it was talking about with their own recommendations for temperatures. Sort of the same "valid viewpoint" as saying that early apexes are the safest choice for beginners?

Come on.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:02 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
It sure was wrong, Sean. He was saying that Hoosier didn't know what it was talking about with their own recommendations for temperatures. Sort of the same "valid viewpoint" as saying that early apexes are the safest choice for beginners?

Come on.
So disagreeing with published data from a company gets you banned? Since everything a company says is always true??? He was speaking his experience, which is slightly different than the company line from Hoosier....

So early apexes are "bad" for a beginner? I'd have to agree with MK on that one too...beginners are not up to full speed anyway...so a slightly early apex will just scrub off some speed through understeer.....vs trying (teaching) a late apex (they will try later and later, going faster and faster) will result in oversteer, in the best case or a spin in the worst case.....

Again its all opinions and discussion......as well all know there are many different ways to get around a racetrack....

MK is an opinionated guy....which comes from being a competitive person...just like ALL OF US...we wouldn't be in this forum if we didn't enjoy RACING....
Old 06-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Since we're on the subject of tire temps (sorta): I routinely find my tire temps below 150 on my 944... While I'm not the fastest guy out there, I know plenty of guys slower that tell me their temps are in the 170s. Is the dominate factor driving style here? Alignment settings?

This thread has me wanting to order a set of the A6s... (Historically I've been an R1 man.)
Old 06-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Since we're on the subject of tire temps (sorta): I routinely find my tire temps below 150 on my 944... While I'm not the fastest guy out there, I know plenty of guys slower that tell me their temps are in the 170s. Is the dominate factor driving style here? Alignment settings?

This thread has me wanting to order a set of the A6s... (Historically I've been an R1 man.)
Are you taking your temps in the hot pits after a hot lap? Or are you doing a cool down or slower lap, coming off track and checking temps in the paddock?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:43 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Are you taking your temps in the hot pits after a hot lap? Or are you doing a cool down or slower lap, coming off track and checking temps in the paddock?
Checking temps in the paddock, but not slowing down much for the "cool down lap". I use a probe pyrometer, and have found that over the last several years, pretty consistently, I see temps in the high 130s to mid 140s (again, in the paddock). I've used my temps to fine-tune my alignment to maximize tire wear, but don't know if it's maximized speed. (That can be another topic for discussion. )
Old 06-01-2011, 01:55 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanG17

MK is an opinionated guy....which comes from being a competitive person...just like ALL OF US...we wouldn't be in this forum if we didn't enjoy RACING....

This is very true, almost all here are highly competitive personalities, yet MK seemed to be the one that consistently would get into name calling brawls over the keyboard that did no one any good, and was never productive to the posts.

Then his misleading facts on many issues as well as his inabilitity to admit when someone else may have a valid point that wasn't his own. Had he just stated this is my experience with it all would have been good, but he chose to attact another member that also stated what their experience was.

It's ok to sometimes just agree to disagree, that is a much better option than to try to duel to the death.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on it.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:59 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Checking temps in the paddock, but not slowing down much for the "cool down lap". I use a probe pyrometer, and have found that over the last several years, pretty consistently, I see temps in the high 130s to mid 140s (again, in the paddock). I've used my temps to fine-tune my alignment to maximize tire wear, but don't know if it's maximized speed. (That can be another topic for discussion. )
Tires cool fast, if you had someone check yours immediately after a hot lap at pit wall you too would see a higher temp.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:52 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Tires cool fast, if you had someone check yours immediately after a hot lap at pit wall you too would see a higher temp.
There could be many reasons why your tires are cooler....assuming you and another driver have near identical setups...it could be how fast you drove on the checker lap, or even how far you had to drive into the paddock to take the temps....

It also could be driving style.....say you and another driver in identical cars turning identical times......if you are in the lower end of a tires ideal slip angle range, and the other driver is in the higher end, the driver with the higher slip angle will have higher tire temps and eventually slower lap times since his tires will "go off" sooner....

Quick Reply: RA1 vs R6 vs R1