Sponsored by:

Best PC Based Simulator

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:03 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
Just looking for the most effective use of my training $$ and time.
The computer sims do offer value. For myself they are best used for learning the tracks (of course my local track is not modeled anywhere, so that does not help me LOL). But the driving sims also help you with the mental aspects of driving around a track. In some respects driving in the virtual world is harder than the real world since we lack physical sensations and visual references. But you can definitely refine your mental techniques in the virtual world of driving the right lines, finding your braking points consistently, turning in consistently, driving the apex, getting on the gas ASAP and then continue on the racing line. So they do offer value in helping your driving concentration. But nothing will ever replace real world seat time at the track.

Best sims are (as others have already pointed out):

1) iRacing
2) GTR2 and/or GTR Evolution
3) rFactor

PS: I am not a real world racer (just a track day track rat). But I pretend to be a racer online.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:25 AM
AtlJimK
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
The computer sims do offer value. For myself they are best used for learning the tracks (of course my local track is not modeled anywhere, so that does not help me LOL). But the driving sims also help you with the mental aspects of driving around a track. In some respects driving in the virtual world is harder than the real world since we lack physical sensations and visual references. But you can definitely refine your mental techniques in the virtual world of driving the right lines, finding your braking points consistently, turning in consistently, driving the apex, getting on the gas ASAP and then continue on the racing line. So they do offer value in helping your driving concentration. But nothing will ever replace real world seat time at the track.

Best sims are (as others have already pointed out):

1) iRacing
2) GTR2 and/or GTR Evolution
3) rFactor

PS: I am not a real world racer (just a track day track rat). But I pretend to be a racer online.
+993

Run the program with no assists.

GTR2 lap @ RA in a 997 GT3 RSR default setup, full-sim mode = 1:20.1...if only in real life. Also running much faster cars helps. Like the LMP1 Audi/Peugeots or even better the 2009 F1 mod, nothing like running a sub 1:04 lap at RA in the RB5 chassis
Old 05-26-2011, 11:54 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by krystar
Live For Speed is awesome simulator. i play it often. race servers are pretty well regulated although there are still some crashers and idiots.

however it ain't gonna help with your heel toe. not in the way that you think. you can go thru the actions and you can SEE the results. but u won't be able to FEEL the results. on track, if u heel toe badly, the car would jerk and you'd feel it with your butt. in game, u'll only see and hear it.
I'll just add one of those rotating rubber hands from Myth Busters that slaps you
upside the head everytime you screw it up :-)

Nothing like a little reinforcement to break bad habits......
Old 05-26-2011, 08:27 PM
manalex
Advanced

A warehouse row or something similar. There's an industrial park near my house (likely your's too) that is closed on Sundays. About 1/4 mile of tarmac between two warehouses where you can practice HTing in a straight line and when you turn around to do it all over again. You can't get this kind of repetition on the street or track. In an afternoon and quarter tank you should be good to go, HTing all the way home. I tought myself and a couple of other friends this way. Can't see this working with a simulator-but I suppose anything is possible.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:22 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
First, upgrade the G27 pedals with the Perfect Pedal. The feel of the brakes and the resistance really makes a difference.

If you have the inclination, buy a set of pedals from Todd Cannon. I've taught many people to heel and toe on my set located in my Driver Development Studio at VIR, before they got on track.

iRacing, GTR2 or rFactor are the best, generally in that order. Be sure to turn off "auto blip" so that the car screws up when you screw up!
That's going to get an eye roll out of my wife when the Fed-Ex guy delivers it.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,066 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
That's going to get an eye roll out of my wife when the Fed-Ex guy delivers it.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-27-2011, 12:20 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
<discussion below not for the sqeamish :-) >

Stock equipment, compression braking, endurance racing, slow to learn drivers == tough on the equipment.

Wish I had a picture handy -- but basically the inner spring assembly is welded to the
friction plate on a stock clutch at six points -- each about a 1/2" wide.

The assembly looked like someone took tin shears to each of the connection points.

It was a brand new clutch -- lost it on the 4th event (3 days racing, 2 DEs)...

FYI...

Don't beat yourself up about blowing up a 944 clutch, it is a common problem that plagues the 944 spec crowd. Even the sport disks are not up to the task of racing... best advice is a centerforce race disk or similar... I blew up a two event old sach sport disk at NASA nationals last year, and had to replace it in the pits until 2am in the morning the day of the race...

That said clumsy rev matching will contribute to a clutch failure, plus if you are driving on the limit it will slow you down or put you in the kitty litter, so it is good to fix.

H/T on the street is fine to work on your foot placement on the pedals, getting your ankle angle right and getting the cadence down...BUT, unless you have a number of twisty streets with slow corners but not stoplights practicing rev matching gets to be impossible, you just don't have the road for it....
Old 05-27-2011, 04:33 PM
mr_fizz
Instructor

Cannon pedals rock, as does iRacing. You will learn to heel-toe and a LOT more.

Quick Reply: Best PC Based Simulator