Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Both feet in...Putnam rain race

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:57 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Last year, same race, same corner Korey's M3 spun in the same fashion but went forward. I went left, to the inside and he hit me. It has to do with M3 physics = bad juju when spinning.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:21 AM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^

Doesn't direction of rotation and momentum determine either left or right direction of vehicle? They always seem to carry forward, but spin direction determine leftward or rightward movement?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:31 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was joking about M3's. In this case the driver probalby had the clutch in and rolled backward once the car had rotated past 90 degrees and gained enough traction to overcome the slide and the momentum carried him right. By the way, I was right behind these guys and went to the inside, missing the schlamozzle.

In the case last year an M3 spun in front of me on the same turn and he kept rotating into a full 360 (probably still on the gas), never gaining the necessary traction to allow the car to move to the right or outside. He did not start rolling until he gained traction upon completion of his spin which ended when his bumper impacted my passenger door.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was a little way further back - I can see myself drive after the crash in your video.

That video is really tough to "monday morning quarerback". In retrospect, knowing how it worked out, there was probably room to slow down enough, or go off track right before the Armco starts. That said, these decisions would have to been made right when he starts to slide, before it becomes clear he's not going to catch it. If you back completely out, or go off everytime someone starts to go sideways in the rain, you'll be hoplessly hamstrung in your racing. By the time it is clear it is going bad, your off track escape route to the right is full of Armco, and there's not enough room to stop. Any minor adjustments would have just meant he'd hid you in the front or rear fenders, instead of the center punch.

Glad to hear the 968 held up so well. The M3 sure looked bad! Sorry to see this in any case, but nice job getting back on track Sunday!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:33 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

At that turn at Putnam if you get it wrong going off the track at speed there's a guard rail not far off track to prevent cars from sliding across midfield into turn 8 - so driving right off may not have been much of an option.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:02 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thing all the AI guys carry big pry bars, hammers and mallets we were able to borrow.........
Old 05-23-2011, 08:07 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks to John and Scott for getting me back "in shape". I am impressed with how well the 968 held up and lucky all the front suspension was missed. The BMW was hit i believe in the rear crumple zone and it sure did crumple!!

i addition to the fender and door I will also be ordering new Hoosier H20's so I can drive anywhere on the track and not just rim shotting it. I went out Sunday on R-6's that had more grip than my rains!!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Relatively high center of gravity on that Victor...

Originally Posted by disasterman
Last year, same race, same corner Korey's M3 spun in the same fashion but went forward. I went left, to the inside and he hit me. It has to do with M3 physics = bad juju when spinning.
... causes it to spin and bop about like a dreidel.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:42 PM
356wannabe
Advanced

You are somewhat at the mercy of the racing Gods in this situation. You clearly had minimal traction (nice save a moment before). I have noticed much more traction off line in the wet at Putnam (the "rain line"). And had you been there I am guessing the racing Gods would have smiled, but who knows?

Quick Reply: Both feet in...Putnam rain race