Question Rumor mill: AST buys Moton

Can anyone corroborate?
Old 05-18-2011, 12:35 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Can anyone corroborate?
I hope not. Moton's customer service is beyond reproach.

Peter
Old 05-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 822 Posts

AST USA claims on their Face Book page that they have purchased Moton.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I hope not!

That being said, AST makes a decent product and a lot of bimmer guys love them, but they're known to have awful turnaround time and customer service. Hopefully, they'll retain Lex.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...php?p=22006030
Old 05-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Haven't heard anything about it if it is so but we will see.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 822 Posts

From a guy named Terry Fair, who runs Vorshlag which sells a lot of AST stuff:

"This is a good thing and there will be a thorough press release from AST soon detailing what's going down. Things have been happening quickly behind the scenes, and Moton USA headquarters will move to Dallas starting next week.

Rest assured, Moton build quality will only go up after this. There will also be no issues with current Moton customers with respect to service, rebuilds, and upgrades. The best products Moton offered before will still be around and only get better, as there wasn't much direct shock model overlap between AST and Moton (with a few exceptions). There was, however, already a lot of commonality in internal parts/designs between AST/Moton - especially between the AST 4XXX and the Moton Motorsport series shocks.

There was a lot of stuff going on in the background, but as Jack noted - a company losing market share that was in trouble has been bought by a company growing massively in market share in much better financial shape, that has proven quality and performance (see: 2011 GRAND AM dominance), and that has a dramatically larger machining capability (and yes, was already making some Moton parts).

Also, Vorshlag will become a Moton dealer starting next week. We will add the appropriate Moton shock models to our website shortly. There's even more good news coming of this, but its not my place to do it. Stay tuned for the press release and more details. "

Moton was "in trouble"????
Old 05-18-2011, 03:08 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Moton was "in trouble"????
you never know until you open up their books to see what was going on.
from purely business sales perspective - a product that costs a lot to produce but does not break or gets obsolete in its average 36 months life span is never very profitable. so, who knows.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

From Brian Hanchey- AST owner.

Guys,
Thanks for all the spirited debate on the subject. We will be releasing more information soon, probably at the beginning of next week. This all began with a conversation over dinner while I was in Holland. Moton (in Holland) was filing for bankruptcy. My suggestion was instead of celebrating, why not continue a brand which is one of the top brands in the world? And that is what we plan to do. While there is some overlap that we will address, in the grand scheme of things there isn't much that needs to change. So the combination of the two companies is a compliment to the hard work Moton did in building the loyal following it has today. I don't know all the details yet, but here is what I do know.

Moton will operate as a separate company from AST.

This means Moton parts go in Motons. AST parts go in ASTs. I'm sure down the road there is a possibility of sharing but never to diminish one product for another or to save money. If anything, both will be stronger. We will operate in North America out of one facility, but Holland will keep two separate facilities. This makes sense since the Dutch companies are 45 minutes apart and the U.S. ones are 800 miles apart.

Rebuilding a Moton or an AST is similar than you might think. We already have most of the tools and will be able to service Motons very soon. Holland is beginning to ramp up production as well so we will have inventory up again very soon.

Another item to clear up

Currently there are no parts shared between Moton and AST. AST does not currently make Moton or JRZ parts.

10 years ago the designs were all similar and sometimes identical, but AST's have gone through several design changes including multiple piston designs, one of which just won Continental this weekend (and took the top 5 spots). Thanks Billy Johnson and RoushFenway Racing! Moton has had updates as well and does share some commonality with JRZ. Over 10 years the two products matured differently and we plan to keep it that way. Some engineers like the 22mm shaft and the displacement you get for compression adjustment found in a Moton, but we have teams that like 14mm shafts found in ASTs. They serve different purposes.

This is a positive outcome for AST and Moton. I don't want anyone to think customer service, quality, or performance is going to change for either brand of shock. Each has a unique place in the market and we plan to grow both brands together.

As we have more details we will share at that time. For now, I'd rather not promote a thread titled "AST >> Moton". That's not our intention, but I understand the excitement behind the post.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 05-18-2011, 04:30 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddy
From Brian Hanchey- AST owner.

Guys,
Thanks for all the spirited debate on the subject. We will be releasing more information soon, probably at the beginning of next week. This all began with a conversation over dinner while I was in Holland. Moton (in Holland) was filing for bankruptcy. My suggestion was instead of celebrating, why not continue a brand which is one of the top brands in the world? And that is what we plan to do. While there is some overlap that we will address, in the grand scheme of things there isn't much that needs to change. So the combination of the two companies is a compliment to the hard work Moton did in building the loyal following it has today. I don't know all the details yet, but here is what I do know.

Moton will operate as a separate company from AST.

This means Moton parts go in Motons. AST parts go in ASTs. I'm sure down the road there is a possibility of sharing but never to diminish one product for another or to save money. If anything, both will be stronger. We will operate in North America out of one facility, but Holland will keep two separate facilities. This makes sense since the Dutch companies are 45 minutes apart and the U.S. ones are 800 miles apart.

Rebuilding a Moton or an AST is similar than you might think. We already have most of the tools and will be able to service Motons very soon. Holland is beginning to ramp up production as well so we will have inventory up again very soon.

Another item to clear up

Currently there are no parts shared between Moton and AST. AST does not currently make Moton or JRZ parts.

10 years ago the designs were all similar and sometimes identical, but AST's have gone through several design changes including multiple piston designs, one of which just won Continental this weekend (and took the top 5 spots). Thanks Billy Johnson and RoushFenway Racing! Moton has had updates as well and does share some commonality with JRZ. Over 10 years the two products matured differently and we plan to keep it that way. Some engineers like the 22mm shaft and the displacement you get for compression adjustment found in a Moton, but we have teams that like 14mm shafts found in ASTs. They serve different purposes.

This is a positive outcome for AST and Moton. I don't want anyone to think customer service, quality, or performance is going to change for either brand of shock. Each has a unique place in the market and we plan to grow both brands together.

As we have more details we will share at that time. For now, I'd rather not promote a thread titled "AST >> Moton". That's not our intention, but I understand the excitement behind the post.

Thanks,
Brian
I still have my doubts. I know numerous people who have had issues with long turnaround with AST and not getting quick replies re: service status. In all my dealings with Lex @ Moton the service has been superb with quick turn around and if Lex has any questions he will pick up the phone and call.

AST will do well to adopt a much more customer friendly model than they have now. ie I value service and quality over price.

Peter
Old 05-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is "AST" a short name for a company, because I never heard of them? Who are they?
Old 05-18-2011, 04:57 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Is "AST" a short name for a company, because I never heard of them? Who are they?
http://www.ast-suspension.com/index.asp

Search on M3 forum or Bimmerforums. They came into the US market a few years back and have really been making their presence known with a great product offering.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 85Gold
I hope not. Moton's customer service is beyond reproach.

Peter
BEYOND.

They should in fact teach a class on customer service....

Lex and Jerome set the bar pretty damn high.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:51 PM
edwin814
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read about this on Bimmerforum this morning. AST makes very good suspensions, but (like everyone else said) Moton customer service is awesome! Dealt with Lex a few times for my Moton setup, have nothing but praises for them.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:12 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet

Assenmacher Specialty Tool may be what you're thinking of. High grade professional tools.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:54 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone corroborate?
Well, no.
I can say... don't worry, I am 100% sure that Lex will be around and offer us the same very high level quality of service and products that he always has.
I am also sure that when all things are final and can be properly discussed that the people behind the scenes will explain in more detail. Stay tuned for more details soon.

Bottom line, I know Lex will still be taking care of me regardless.

How's that VR ?

Quick Reply: Rumor mill: AST buys Moton