Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACK!!! 911 KERS

Old 05-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Benton
If some of you guys made car companies' decisions, we would all still be driving carbureted, straight-axle cars. Implementing new technologies is a natural evolution of the automotive industry and pretty much any other industry as well.

One major downside is that Joe at the local mechanic's shop will eventually become obsolete--in 20 years, no one will be able to work on new cars. Buy it, drive it until it breaks (3-7 years), have minor services performed at the dealership while under warranty, and recycle it. Residual value on these techno-wonders is going to be next to nothing since no one will be able--or want, for that matter--to fix them once out of warranty.
Pffttt.

Sometimes "progress" really isn't.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you expect them to do? It isn't Porsche's fault. Look at the automotive industry as a whole--what are the major trends? Do you expect Porsche to go in a different direction? I don't like where the auto industry is headed either; however, I just don't see the issue with KERS. It allows our beloved ICE to exist while making overall economy better and providing improved performance instead of a decline. That's a lot better than some other options.

I'll put $5 down that you will enjoy driving one when the opportunity arises.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:25 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the World of VW/Audi
Old 05-18-2011, 05:48 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One major downside is that Joe at the local mechanic's shop will eventually become obsolete--in 20 years, no one will be able to work on new cars. Buy it, drive it until it breaks (3-7 years), have minor services performed at the dealership while under warranty, and recycle it. Residual value on these techno-wonders is going to be next to nothing since no one will be able--or want, for that matter--to fix them once out of warranty.
I wouldn't bet on Joe the mechanic becoming obsolete.
If Joe is willing to learn he can keep up. Some things are getting easier. A lot of diagnostics are done by the car itself instead of digging for clues about what went wrong. Often the problem identified way before it becomes a major problem.

There are some efforts at standardization and optimization that make things easier to work on. Stuff like signaling/control buses and whatnot.
Even the politicians are slowly coming around about forcing manufactures to have more open systems.

Some components are becoming self contained and unfixable but they are replaceable.

Assuming Joe the mechanic can only tune carburetors is insulting to many real mechanics.

I don't know if KERS in the 911 will work well or not. Lots of technologies seemed like a good idea at first look and then went nowhere. Some had terrible initial implementations but finally got perfected. We will see.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:46 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's something useless to remember.

hybrid |ˈhīˌbrid|

ORIGIN early 17th cent. (as a noun): from Latin hybrida ‘offspring of a tame sow and wild boar....
Old 05-18-2011, 10:18 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

What do you expect them to do? It isn't Porsche's fault. Look at the automotive industry as a whole--what are the major trends? Do you expect Porsche to go in a different direction? I don't like where the auto industry is headed either; however, I just don't see the issue with KERS. It allows our beloved ICE to exist while making overall economy better and providing improved performance instead of a decline. That's a lot better than some other options.

I'll put $5 down that you will enjoy driving one when the opportunity arises.
I'll bet dollars to donuts that Porsche gets a greater improvement in fuel economy from moving to DFI than they do from KERS

But it's harder to explain how direct injection makes cars more environmentally friendly, so we get complicated contraptions like KERS added on so the marketing people can dazzle the political people and appease the "activists"

I have nothing against innovations in technology - this one just seems dumb though
Old 05-18-2011, 10:33 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys keep talking about flywheels and rotor burts and complicated systems. Anyone look at how they plan do it in the production cars?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
You guys keep talking about flywheels and rotor burts and complicated systems. Anyone look at how they plan do it in the production cars?
It's all ball bearings these days.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:48 PM
wanna911
Race Car

That prototype will need a lot of work for me to like it. How many decades can you run the same circle round headlights? Can SOMETHING on the outside actually advance other than the tailights?
Old 05-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard that Porsche is looking to return in some way to F1. I know these rumours have been dismissed previously, but obviously the addition of KERS to a 911 is an indication that there may be involvement at some level with F1 now or in the future.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:53 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
That prototype will need a lot of work for me to like it. How many decades can you run the same circle round headlights? Can SOMETHING on the outside actually advance other than the tailights?
Didn't everyone bitch when they abandoned the round headlights for the 996?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:29 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by mglobe
Didn't everyone bitch when they abandoned the round headlights for the 996?
Yes, that's what's frustrating. Porsche people can be too old fashioned. This drawback crap ons car that never really advanced look wise is retarded. Why would anyone want retro looks on modern 911's.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:48 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
It's all ball bearings these days.
"Plastics."
Old 05-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amaist
Assuming Joe the mechanic can only tune carburetors is insulting to many real mechanics.

I don't know if KERS in the 911 will work well or not. Lots of technologies seemed like a good idea at first look and then went nowhere. Some had terrible initial implementations but finally got perfected. We will see.
Dude, I am a mechanic more or less. When did I say mechanics can only tune carburetors?

I'm not hating on independent mechanics. They deserve the business much more than dealerships. But to say that the mechanic around the corner in any given small town will be able to repair 911 KERS or a crashed Ford MySync (or whatever they call it) is just not true. He may be able to diagnose it by plugging in his scan tool, but he isn't repairing it. Unless you consider repairing it "take it all out and replace the whole thing." The cars that he has the ability to repair are already decreasing in number to a small degree, and you can't run a business when you don't have any customers. That is an extreme example, but you can't refute that the amount of potential customers for an independent will be decreasing. Obsolete was a stretch, and 20 years is definitely a stretch--I'm using a hyperbole to get the point across.

I completely agree that there will be bugs, and the first rendition will probably have a lot of issues. You have to start somewhere and begin releasing to the public, as that is the only way you can accumulate that much testing knowledge and improve upon it. KERS seems like a pretty cool innovation with a performance upside.

My point is that there are two sides to it, but complaining about it is pointless. It is obviously the direction the auto industry is headed, and Porsche is a big player these days. There are upsides and downsides; just accept that it is going to happen and adapt accordingly. Hang on to your beloved air-cooled 911 or grab one/more while they are still priced reasonably. I sure will.

Where were all the haters when the 918 Spyder was released?
Old 05-19-2011, 11:00 AM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
Welcome to the World of VW/Audi
^^^^
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ACK!!! 911 KERS