Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overcoming tentative braking

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:12 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark thanks for correcting my typical mistakes. I will make an effort not to add anymore contributions here and sidebar my conversations where they do the most good. I just don't have the time in the day anymore to waste.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:35 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I think this video sums it up. he is hustling. he is threashold braking, sometimes he even gets it a lttle wrong, but nothing that stops his progress by putting in some steering input on the exit under WOT to correct. the brakes are on or the of off. Its a brutal assalt on the track, and thats what it takes to be fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73MvmT5C-ik
Watching the downshifting at the 53 second mark is awesome.

I'm still struggling with one gear at a time. that was what 5 gears, one
distinctly after another and major contortion of the legs. Wish I could have seen his feet.

I'm hopeless.

m

Last edited by txhokie4life; 05-19-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:57 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 85 Posts

I think this video sums it up. he is hustling. he is threashold braking, sometimes he even gets it a lttle wrong, but nothing that stops his progress by putting in some steering input on the exit under WOT to correct. the brakes are on or the of off. Its a brutal assalt on the track, and thats what it takes to be fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73MvmT5C-ik
And how, pray tell, do you presuppose to know from this video that "the brakes are on or the [sic] of [sic] off"?

Do you have access to pedal-pressure data from this lap? No? Oh. Perhaps we could ask the driver whether he ever modulates or feathers-off the brake pedal. My guess is the answer would be yes.

But what do I know.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:39 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

My advice to the OP: take note that all the advice in this thread is well-reasoned and basically unanimous, except that kibort has to disagree with everything, as usual. Ignore him. He enjoys turning these discussions into **** sandwiches.

Like others have said, it's fine to brake early and soft if it helps your corner entry speed (except if you're racing someone into the corner and/or you're a pro racer). And left-foot-braking is a very good skill to have... I suspect I get a few tenths or more from using it.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
My advice to the OP: take note that all the advice in this thread is well-reasoned and basically unanimous, except that kibort has to disagree with everything, as usual. Ignore him. He enjoys turning these discussions into **** sandwiches.

Like others have said, it's fine to brake early and soft if it helps your corner entry speed (except if you're racing someone into the corner and/or you're a pro racer). And left-foot-braking is a very good skill to have... I suspect I get a few tenths or more from using it.
Originally Posted by quickxotica
And how, pray tell, do you presuppose to know from this video that "the brakes are on or the [sic] of [sic] off"?

Do you have access to pedal-pressure data from this lap? No? Oh. Perhaps we could ask the driver whether he ever modulates or feathers-off the brake pedal. My guess is the answer would be yes.

But what do I know.
Exactly.

The idiocracy is strong with this one....
Old 05-19-2011, 08:04 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting thread.

I dont think its a matter of time from one pedal to the next, .....
Well, Ross Bentley certainly does and devotes a portion of the Chapter on LFB to the concept. He also uses 'graphs'.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Many posts deleted. Please return to the original purpose of the thread.

Regards,
Old 05-20-2011, 07:18 AM
nshanny
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow,

The ability to drive this thread off the rails is amazing. It was a simple question, but I was not expecting the divisive comments. Take a pill folks!!

From what I can gather there are many possible things going on and the advice given has provided me with a lot to think about. For that, thanks!
Old 05-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Like everything else in life... there are many wys to skn a cat hombre!

Originally Posted by nshanny
From what I can gather there are many possible things going on and the advice given has provided me with a lot to think about.
Appears you have tons and tons of practice ahead of you Fuzz. Believe you now realize just how important it is not to bleed off so much energy when cornering. If you end up in a barditch along some country road you HAVE to post pics!

We've all been there.

Quick Reply: Overcoming tentative braking