Sponsored by:

Thoughts desire on A) paddock floor/tiles, b) Alpinestars GP Pro suit

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 05:36 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thoughts desire on A) paddock floor/tiles, b) Alpinestars GP Pro suit

curious what you guys might recommend for tiles or other 'flooring' for sandy,dirty paddocks. went to vir this weekend, was a frickin mess.
i saw a lot of teams with interlocking tiles.
anyone know a company that makes them affordable, but also easily interlocking (i have gladiators in my house but they dont snap apart or together easily at all)....would like to zip tie them up in 3 foot wide by X feet long and minimize the 'snapping ' together of stuff.

what about indoor/outdoor carpet?
other ideas???

and lastly, anyone have any experience with the Alpinestars GP pro racing suit and know how it might differ from the Alpinestars GP Tech racing suit??
Old 05-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

On the suit. Fit is the same, just slightly heavier feeling when trying them on back to back. But just slightly. I've only raced in the Tech suit and it breathes wonderfully.

For flooring at VIR. The best is of course the pit mats that interlock. But I really hate the setup/breakdown time as much as anything and it takes up a decent amount of trailer space.

I've used the indoor/outdoor carpeting with great success there. For the cost I can't beat it.

There is a new one I've looked at online but never seen in real life www.pitmatusa.com that looks like it could be promising.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:45 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Flooring - someone (I think it is racedeck) makes a version of interlocking tiles that rolls up. That might be the easiest for a team that does not have a dozen people available to snap each tile together and take them apart at each event.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:21 AM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Racedeck! I used it for years when I have a non-tarmac paddock spot. Eay to set up and keeps you off of the ground when wet, etc... I have a relatively small trailer, 20', so storing the tiles can be a bit of a pain. I do not have the roll-up version.

Tim
Old 05-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
I've used the indoor/outdoor carpeting with great success there. For the cost I can't beat it.
+1
Old 05-16-2011, 09:40 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
+1
+2
Old 05-16-2011, 10:45 AM
nmercier853
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The brand you want to buy is called "Sport Court" it is marketed to athletic type places and cost much less then "Race Deck". It is the exact same stuff.

Let me know if you need a contact. It is distributed by Sport Court of NH (Garet) 603-483-5635
Old 05-16-2011, 11:07 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
On the suit. Fit is the same, just slightly heavier feeling when trying them on back to back. But just slightly. I've only raced in the Tech suit and it breathes wonderfully.
+1, I also thought the Tech suit was lighter. I ended up buying their Supertech suit which weighs about the same as the Tech only fit even better which we all know is worth 1/2 second....
Old 05-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Tiles seem like they would be a pain to set-up/remove/clean if you don't have a large crew. Looks really nice and professional though.

heres a good deal on used tiles from Tri-Point:

http://nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=39935
Old 05-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I simply use a couple of heavy duty "Duraworx" tarps (they have a silver color) that I bought at a Lowes home improvement store. I think the size of each tarp is 10' x 12' so when I lay them out side by side I have a 12' x 20' working area. I bought some spikes that I pound into the ground and they are easy to remove at the end of the event. I used this setup at VIR and other tracks with great success.

I could have bought a larger single 12' x 20' tarp, but I was thinking it would have been much more difficult to fold up by myself in a strong wind . . . so I bought the two smaller tarps to place side-by-side to make the same total size.

Jeff
Old 05-16-2011, 04:45 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tarp. cheap enough to toss in the trash barrel if messed up, little space when folded, does not weight a ton and leak in the trailer when folded up wet. You will need metal nails and a hammer to hold them down at VIR.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:49 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for the Tarp, or if your the adventurous type...

Quick Reply: Thoughts desire on A) paddock floor/tiles, b) Alpinestars GP Pro suit