Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Miss the F1 Circus at the Brickyard?
Jawohl, mein Herr!
56.25%
Nein, du Schwein!
43.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Anyone here miss the USGP @ Indianapolis?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 03:27 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

My tickets for this year in Montreal are $250 for GS 33. So yeah, it costs more. But to me it's worth it. I'm not really into "big azz coors cans" and coolers filled with booze. But to each his own.

And if you think Austin will cost any less, well then I've got a bridge to sell you.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three times the ticket expense is a lot for most American F1 fans dude!

Originally Posted by ilko
My tickets for this year in Montreal are $250 for GS 33. So yeah, it costs more. But to me it's worth it. I'm not really into "big azz coors cans" and coolers filled with booze. But to each his own.

And if you think Austin will cost any less, well then I've got a bridge to sell you.
Was making a not-so-subtle point that for a major venue, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was never out to rape their fans. THAT in my book is freaking outstanding.

You just know that Suavo Hellmund and Old Man McCombs are going to ream fans within an inch of their lives when the time comes. It's going to be freaking ugly.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:56 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Do you think any of those venues are out to rape their fans? The promoters have to pay exuberant amount of money to the commercial rights holder. And things have changed quite a bit since 2007 in terms of what is being asked of the hosts in order to secure a race. I doubt that in the current business climate you would be getting those same rates if a race were to be held in Indy. So a little nostalgia is all well and good, but you might as well start crying about the $12 tickets at the '77 GP at WGI. I'm sure a can of beer was even less than $4 back them

And as far as Montreal tickets costing a lot for the American F1 fans, the race was sold out. Enough said.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Easy now Mr. Cash Flow... it's all good muchacho!

Do you think any of those venues are out to rape their fans? The promoters have to pay exuberant amount of money to the commercial rights holder. And things have changed quite a bit since 2007 in terms of what is being asked of the hosts in order to secure a race. I doubt that in the current business climate you would be getting those same rates if a race were to be held in Indy. So a little nostalgia is all well and good, but you might as well start crying about the $12 tickets at the '77 GP at WGI. I'm sure a can of beer was even less than $4 back them

And as far as Montreal tickets costing a lot for the American F1 fans, the race was sold out. Enough said.
Many sports venues TOTALLY bend their fans over the proverbial log in the middle of the village and "go to town"!

If the USGP were to be held at The Brickyard next month the tickets would be no more than $100... which is exactly what they should be. Not that many Rednecks really know F1 in these United States.

Every time I've attended the Montreal GP it made me fee so damn special. Check out my date the last time I was there dude.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:00 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
The people of Indianapolis were pretty much indifferent or hated the fact that F1 was there. Even the track workers in the stands were not particularly hospitable.

The problem was there was not much to do once away from the track. Typically one is there from Thursday to Monday morning and there is only so many times you can see the circular monument and the indoor mall.....

It's time for another venue.
I have to agree with Frank on this one. My "crew" of 5-6 guys that went every year had just as much fun (if not more) with the Indy nightlife as we did at the track.

You might want to compare total capacity before bragging about a sold out race.

That's kind of like comparing the bleachers at a high school football game to Lambeau Field.

The inaugural race at Indy sold about 125,000 more tickets than Montreal holds, this broke the all time F1 attendance record.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:03 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

You spend a little too much time on the computer, friendo...
Old 05-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Boom and done Meine Herr!

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
I have to agree with Frank on this one. My "crew" of 5-6 guys that went every year had just as much fun (if not more) with the Indy nightlife as we did at the track.
Indianapolis is a righteous motorsports venue. Scored Big Time in 2001 when I made hotel reservations for the downtown Westin way back in 2000 just after the inaugaral race. $89/night for the weekends before and after the first schedule was released. FIA moved the calender as hoped and I was in at that ridiculous well-below-$400 rate. The Westin was none too happy... but too damn bad.

You hit that St. Elmo's Steak House?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:01 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

You spend a little too much time on the computer, friendo...
Wow, great response. What's next, I drink too much and drive too fast?

Originally Posted by Frank Bullitt
Indianapolis is a righteous motorsports venue. Scored Big Time in 2001 when I made hotel reservations for the downtown Westin way back in 2000 just after the inaugaral race. $89/night for the weekends before and after the first schedule was released. FIA moved the calender as hoped and I was in at that ridiculous well-below-$400 rate. The Westin was none too happy... but too damn bad.

One year they changed the date of the race and I booked two suites before the hotels adjusted. $100 a night per suite was $500 an hour later

The year of the tire fiasco I received a call one month before the race to inform me our hotel was demolished. With no good rooms left in town (at a reasonable price) we opted not to go.
I received $750 in hotel vouchers and took the wife to Chicago later that year.

I should have kept a log, kinda fuzzy where we all went, it sounds familiar.
Friday night we usually wandered down to the Rathskeller.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:10 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

No .................no missy ...
Old 05-12-2011, 07:13 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

The place to eat was Mikado Japanese Restaurant and Sushi Bar. We would eat there at least once over the course of the weekend and always saw F1 talent. Bernie and Flavio, Kimi, David Coultard, Nick Heinfeld, Ralph, Sato and i'm sure i'm leaving a few out. One night we were having drinks at Ruth Chris Steakhouse and Peter Windsor walked in. Kind of an ***, 'sorry, i don't shake hands'. Yeah, hows that USF1 working out for you, should learn to shake more hands.
Indy was great, one weekend a year.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Yes sir... it's simply awesome to get the jump on those hotel freaks!

One year they changed the date of the race and I booked two suites before the hotels adjusted. $100 a night per suite was $500 an hour later

The year of the tire fiasco I received a call one month before the race to inform me our hotel was demolished. With no good rooms left in town (at a reasonable price) we opted not to go.
I received $750 in hotel vouchers and took the wife to Chicago later that year.

I should have kept a log, kinda fuzzy where we all went, it sounds familiar.
Friday night we usually wandered down to the Rathskeller.
Have to say that the Westin wanted to tool me up because I had a $89 rate for a suite over 4 nights. Ahh so sorry... here conformation number!

Sounds like you made out too amigo. Sad story? The very first year of the race we all waited too damn long and the only hotel we could get was a Red Roof Inn for $249 / night - 4 night minimum. You know what? Took that freaking deal as it was Brand New... and the only thing available @ that late date. Great refrigerator. Trash cans full of freaking ice. But you know what? Had the most awesome time ever. WTF was I thinking?!

Hit that Rathskeller. Old building with the bar, a sizable one, down just below ground level close to the downtown. Good German brews.

Between the race, hitting the town, and rat racing our rental cars out in parker County on all those dirt roads... you just can't beat Indy. Compadre of mine almost took out one of them covered wooden bridges. *rofl*
Old 05-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default That sounds good except for the Peter Windsor part dude!

Originally Posted by mj951
The place to eat was Mikado Japanese Restaurant and Sushi Bar. We would eat there at least once over the course of the weekend and always saw F1 talent. Bernie and Flavio, Kimi, David Coultard, Nick Heinfeld, Ralph, Sato and i'm sure i'm leaving a few out. One night we were having drinks at Ruth Chris Steakhouse and Peter Windsor walked in. Kind of an ***, 'sorry, i don't shake hands'. Yeah, hows that USF1 working out for you, should learn to shake more hands.
Indy was great, one weekend a year.
Same if you were at the St. Elmo. Der Schumacher was seated two tables away from us one evening and gave my little date a winky. She was already a fan.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:01 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Same if you were at the St. Elmo. Der Schumacher was seated two tables away from us one evening and gave my little date a winky. She was already a fan.
Sweet, it took us a couple of years to figure it out and having the opportunity to hang with the Toyota team the last few years certainly made for a great weekend. We hope to make it down to Austin but I just don't see it being the same experience for us.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:39 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If the USGP were to be held at The Brickyard next month the tickets would be no more than $100... which is exactly what they should be. Not that many Rednecks really know F1 in these United States.
That was one reason I went each year. 4 tickets in Turn 4 Exit (oval) grandstand put me at Turn 1 on road course and combined with general admission on Friday and Saturday ran about 450-500 each year. Not bad at all.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:11 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Wow, great response. What's next, I drink too much and drive too fast?
It was meant for the guy above you. But I was too slow to hit the submit reply button.

And you are correct, Indy can hold 3 times the amount of spectators, I didn't think of that.

Quick Reply: Anyone here miss the USGP @ Indianapolis?