Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience/advice with the grassey pit areas at Putnam during monsoon season?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:19 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience/advice with the grassey pit areas at Putnam during monsoon season?

Anyone have any 'advice'/experience parking in the grassey pit areas at putnam in monsoon like conditions that we've seen this year? I'm overly concerned about getting stuck.

The 2 thinks I dislike most about Putnam are:
1.)pits are small and gravely or grassy.
2.)can't camp there.
(but their concession stand food is A+)

I'm concerned as heck about getting hung up in the pits with my Rv / enclosed trailer this weekend for the NASA event. Parking in the area between the paved/gravely pit road loop is like premium because nobody is ever nice enough to dump their open trailers out in the field to save room for more people in the immediate pit area. That leaves those of us with larger/longer/heavier trailers parking in the grass just outside the outter pit road loop. Last October it was dry and I had no issues but I am really worried about sinking to china this weekend. So what do others do? just take your chances ???

Tom
Old 05-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom, the only thing I've sen get stuck at Putnam is a toterhome. Several of the 944 Spec guys will be there early, and will have some prime area set aside. You should be good if you get there Friday, which it sounds like you are. Stick with us - we'll take care of ya .

We'll have a record number of cars at Putnam (11 registered as of now) - should be some great racing .
Old 05-09-2011, 11:58 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well a motohome is what I am driving......

I thought the modular depo semi got stuck one year...

I am planning to be at the WM parking lot Thurs night so I can be at the track Friday first thing. That's the plan at least. The forecasted rain all week and weekend is not helping my motivation, even after I spent all weekend finishing up my alignment.

Tom
Old 05-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

In the past, in damp conditions (standing water), I recall the lane farthest away from the track seems to be high ground with little standing water, so that may be a safer (relative) area to park a motorhome if you can't find paved ground (I seem to recall some gravel/ paved parking near the restrooms off the first lane).

The ground between the two lanes seem to lean towards the track, so pulling in into that grass area facing the track (from the far lane) may give you a good shot of rolling downhill to the inner paved lane if the grass is wet.

Have seen many grass spots between the first lane and the track (near the tower) with standing water when raining.

Quick Reply: Experience/advice with the grassey pit areas at Putnam during monsoon season?