To Smartycam owners - regarding data logging feature

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:10 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default To Smartycam owners - regarding data logging feature

Hi,

I wonder if it would shift the situation if anybody who is interested to have this feature added (to be able to download complete data set directly from your smartycam for analysis - essentially turning it into proper fully operational data logger) would contact AiM and request this feature.

I think it would be a great feature. Who knows if any input from users will affect AiM corporate decisions but it is a small market and I think a lot of smartycam customers do read this forum, so, it is sort of FIY.

Last edited by utkinpol; 05-10-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Maynor
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm all for it. Buying two data devices is a stretch by itself and aim would only gain customer loyalty for other products this way.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,153 Likes on 1,827 Posts

My understanding is that this feature (outputting SmartyCam logged data into Race Studio 2 interpretation software) is already in the works.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-09-2011, 11:36 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

If we are having AIM wish lists I wish that I could plug into 1 point and down load both camera and logger.

I would also like to be ale to run through all of the menu features on the camera from a computer.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Bman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I spoke to AIM about this a few weeks ago and it sounds like the only way to get data is by adding a logger. There were rumors a year ago that the SmaryCam would be upgradable, thru firmware, to allow for data downloads but doesn't sound like that will be the case.

They've been testing a new DL (Solo DL). It's supposed to be out soon and will likely be more affordable than the current DLs.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
If we are having AIM wish lists I wish that I could plug into 1 point and down load both camera and logger.

I would also like to be ale to run through all of the menu features on the camera from a computer.
Those are reasonable updates, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for AIM to make the SC a pseudo data-logger though.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:07 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for AIM to make the SC a pseudo data-logger though.
that is what whole deal is about as smartyam receives and processes all this data anyway, whole issue is just to put it aside into separate file on a flash drive together with video file.
right now this data stream just blends into video and then gets deleted.

I simply opened up this Linux package of smartycam firmware and it is quite obvious how it works down there. none of that is rocket science. It is just a matter of AiM to 'open it up' for us.

Also I do not think word 'pseudo' applies here - smartycam is essentially an embedded system, to simplify it further - almost same class of a procesing device as your home PC. Linux version it runs is pretty standard - a RedHat clone, I beleive. It can do whatever you program it to do with data it receives. And trust me - to produce an AVI file is much more difficult job for CPU than to dump an input data stream into plain text file.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:12 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bman
I spoke to AIM about this a few weeks ago and it sounds like the only way to get data is by adding a logger.
they want you to buy a separate logger, that is true. It does not mean smartycam cannot do it.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Bman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
they want you to buy a separate logger, that is true. It does not mean smartycam cannot do it.
Agreed! Didn't mean to imply that it wasn't possible, only that they've decided not to "open up" the SC and require an external DL.

Quick Reply: To Smartycam owners - regarding data logging feature