Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Spot on. I'm good with everything up to the track out to the far left with no margin. I like to leave a car width over there. I know I don't need it, but it makes me feel better.
Maybe this car...
Old 02-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 990 Likes on 594 Posts

Yes!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here's a question for the pro's - what level of detail do you go into on your track notes and/or guides. Watching the Bill Auberlin video in this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...p-of-cota.html, there really isn't that much detail. Lots of shift up/down, get in tight, bump the curb, but no fine detail.

When I give people a detailed walk/talk/guide, it has lots of detail. I give them specific points to look for on entry (hit this patch with your FR tire), look to this point. Then I give them specific marks for the apex (bump in curb, patch, etc) and then a specific spot to track out to (end of rumbles, sign on wall, item in fence, etc).

What do the professionals give?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 868 Posts

For me, it depends on the driver (client) and their level of skill. The higher the skill, the more intricate detail I will use, because they are more able to discern small details & use them to their advanttage.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:05 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Matt even with beginners, I like to give them "aiming points". Forces them to look ahead as a side benefit.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Never underestimate the benefit of following someone you can learn from in order to learn new things. Here is my buddy ShakeNBake (in his new to him 997.2 GT3RS on 15 cycle R6's) playing follow the slow 240 hp M3 at TWS. As you can see, I had nothing for him on the straights, being down 200 hp LOL! But in the corners it was a different story. He kept turning down the point by, and finally after some traffic we got a decent lap or two together. Fun times! And from this, he gained some new uunderstandings of ways to approach several corners in his new car.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
For me, it depends on the driver (client) and their level of skill. The higher the skill, the more intricate detail I will use, because they are more able to discern small details & use them to their advanttage.
Ok now I understand why you always go into such incredible detail when coaching me Dave. . That TWS track looks like a lot of fun. Who needs a fancy F1 track when you have that gem in your back yard!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

LOL! Exactly!

TWS is a lot of fun. Some of the key take-aways from the video that helped my friend in the GT3RS are how late I can brake into T1 w/o upsetting the car or even going into ABS; how early & how little I am braking everywhere else; and how the rear of my car is not lifting at all under braking, showing how relatively softly I am braking, keeping the pplatform stable, and preserving entry speeds. Also, look at apex discipline & consistency.

All things I regularly work on to get clients faster!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Here's a question for the pro's - what level of detail do you go into on your track notes and/or guides.

When I give people a detailed walk/talk/guide, it has lots of detail. I give them specific points to look for on entry (hit this patch with your FR tire), look to this point. Then I give them specific marks for the apex (bump in curb, patch, etc) and then a specific spot to track out to (end of rumbles, sign on wall, item in fence, etc).

What do the professionals give?
Most of my clients are advanced intermediate or advanced, experienced drivers.

My track guides (and pre-event study websites) get very, very detailed. Two dozen web pages alone on Sebring International, seven written single-spaced pages. .dwg (CAD) drawings of the track, angles, radius, Google Earth maps, pictures, sim screen captures, whatever it takes.

I believe that the more foundation detail I can provide, the better off my clients are. I give nearly all my clients HUNDREDS of permanent landmarks for each lap on every circuit. You have to commit this level of detail to memory and the subconscious before you can go really, really fast. Just my experience...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Most of my clients are advanced intermediate or advanced, experienced drivers.

My track guides (and pre-event study websites) get very, very detailed. Two dozen web pages alone on Sebring International, seven written single-spaced pages. .dwg (CAD) drawings of the track, angles, radius, Google Earth maps, pictures, sim screen captures, whatever it takes.

I believe that the more foundation detail I can provide, the better off my clients are. I give nearly all my clients HUNDREDS of permanent landmarks for each lap on every circuit. You have to commit this level of detail to memory and the subconscious before you can go really, really fast. Just my experience...
This is along the lines of what I was thinking. The small details that we notice while driving make a large difference in how/where we drive. The devil is in the details!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:58 PM
toplabels
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I track a 2001 996 which does not have an LSD. That is one of the projects pending, but can one of the coaches explain what are the positive effects of an LSD on track ...thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Virtually eliminates wheelspin on throttle coming out of tight corners

Much better ability to apply hard throttle on rougher surfaces

Significantly better stability of the back end of the car under hard braking
Old 02-17-2013, 12:03 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

I just got my car out of the shop. One of the mods was a LSD. Can't tell a difference here at Roebling this weekend as it is a track consisting of mostly high speed sweepers. However, I expect to be pleased at Sebring, especially coming out of 7 where wheel spin was really bad before.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

So Mark, how is it?
Old 03-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Upstate101
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question about "vision" specifically in the case of a car spinning in front of you. I have been doing DEs and track days for one year, about 30 total days. I was in the white group with our PCA event yesterday at CMP.
I experienced two episodes where cars spun in front. Fortunately no collisions or injuries. The first spin was quite a ways ahead of me at turn 14 as I was in the straight about half way to the turn ( asharp right leading onto front straight). I'm afraid I had the deer in the headlights reaction - the other car was off which I couldn't tell until I got closer - and pointed backwards straight at me. I got locked -in on him and I almost missed the turn even though he was completely off and there was plenty of room to get by.
The second was a bit more interesting and "puckering". A GT3 and a Cayman S passed me on the straight and I was having a great time keeping up with them for about one and a half laps, when in the middle of turn 12/13 (sweeping right) the middle car spins, goes partially off toward the apex and crosses back onto the track headed directly into my path. Thankfully he slowed and stopped in the middle of the track and I was able to lift and straighten the wheel and get by all in one piece.
So, my question is where are your eyes supposed to be when this happens? On your line? The other car? Or a "soft eyes" approach where you are focusing on neither but aware of both? Something else?
If I can figure how to edit my GoPro video to a manageable clip I'll try to post - both laps are recorded.

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH