Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2023, 02:25 PM
Cayman_Sense
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The first order of business is to be consistent with the car placement.

Sounds like you have a different problem in the fact that your turn-in lateral position and the rate/speed of your steering wheel input all vary too much for you to be consistent with your car placement.

Car placement laterally for every foot of distance traveled to be consistent first.

Then, decisive, consistent steering input at turn-in and selection of an arc you believe will bring you to your desired apex area.
THANK YOU! You nailed my biggest issue in the second response. Vision and looking ahead. I'm still working on that but I tend to turn in early, but slower on faster turns. Sounds like I should be turning in later, and more deliberately to have a more consistent arc. I have a tendency to tighten the arc as I get towards the apex. Some of this is lack of confidence and the rest is not looking far enough ahead!

So game plan for these two turns are to start off a little slower, stay wider, turn in later, but with more intention and keep a tighter arc from the start vs. tightening through the entry. I need earlier rotation? Is that the right way of thinking about this?

Regarding the second post. Turn 1 entry speed is usually faster. I think that lap was an anomaly. 😅

I'll be back at Mid Ohio next week with MOR PCA. I haven't had anyone right seat me yet so hopefully I can find a willing instructor for a few sessions to keep me honest.

Old 08-26-2023, 02:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,212 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Your game plan sounds like a good one. Especially getting an instructor in the car.

The reason why you’re turning a second time is early turn in. Basically you’re creating two vectors instead of one.

Eyes up. Later, more deliberate steering input. One arc.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-28-2023, 09:28 AM
Cayman_Sense
Rennlist Member

Your game plan sounds like a good one. Especially getting an instructor in the car.

The reason why you’re turning a second time is early turn in. Basically you’re creating two vectors instead of one.

Eyes up. Later, more deliberate steering input. One arc.
One question as I was thinking about this more over the weekend. I have seen many suggestions of turning in slightly early to let the car take a set and then add the needed input. How best to think about this in the context of turning in later but not unsettling the car. I watched more of the in car video and I'm generally turning in way too early everywhere.
Old 08-28-2023, 09:38 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,433 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman_Sense
One question as I was thinking about this more over the weekend. I have seen many suggestions of turning in slightly early to let the car take a set and then add the needed input. How best to think about this in the context of turning in later but not unsettling the car. I watched more of the in car video and I'm generally turning in way too early everywhere.

There r turns on different tracks that i have learned to "twitch" the car a little early to set the weight over the front before i commit to a turn. Moto guys load the front and its the same concept. I feel this is a 911 thing because of the rear motor and the back of my car has a tendency to not come around in some turns.

One of these turns is #3 on t-bolt at njmp. Its a 95+ mph turn and i cant get to the apron unless i weight the front.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

At the speeds you’re going into T1 and T13 (or should be going), the consequences of turning in too early can be dire.

There’s two measures in the proper turning of the wheel. Rate (speed of input) and Amplitude (how much angle is put in). Rate is not fixed and amplitude is not binary.

This idea of the car taking a set is not a “turn…wait…SET,” it’s a bending of the car in by a slower initial RATE of steering input to FIRST allow the roll to occur and load the outside tires, then increasing the rate to the finish point selecting the final arc or path to the apex area,

It’s a sinuous, completely linear motion and there is no separation nor are there delays or stops in the increase of steering input between turn-in and the final arc selection.

If it makes you feel better, turn-in, let the car roll to the right while still at the SLIGHTLY slower rate (speed) and then keep going to the end. But that’s not your issue.

Your issue is that you are not hitting your marks, so no way to practice this or practice the basics of drawing the desired path with a specific steering angle input.

My read is that it is due to a lack of specific topographic knowledge (what fifty cent piece does my outside front go over EVERY lap when my shoulder is even with the worker station into T1, and what area of the inside curb am I close to in the latter/end part of that curb as an apex area?), as well as vision. Eyes not high enough or moving quickly enough.

It’s fun, it’s hard and it’s why we keep coming back! Good luck!
Old 08-30-2023, 07:21 PM
Cayman_Sense
Rennlist Member

Your issue is that you are not hitting your marks, so no way to practice this or practice the basics of drawing the desired path with a specific steering angle input.

My read is that it is due to a lack of specific topographic knowledge (what fifty cent piece does my outside front go over EVERY lap when my shoulder is even with the worker station into T1, and what area of the inside curb am I close to in the latter/end part of that curb as an apex area?), as well as vision. Eyes not high enough or moving quickly enough.

It’s fun, it’s hard and it’s why we keep coming back! Good luck!
This stuff is gold right here. First things first is hitting my marks, then adding speed. Clear.

As for taking a set. The explanation you provided is helpful. I was mentally breaking things up into discrete movements rather than thinking of it as one fluid motion where the rate of input changes but leads to one arc.

Anyway, will focus on consistent car placement and improving vision.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 09:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

This stuff is gold right here. First things first is hitting my marks, then adding speed. Clear.

As for taking a set. The explanation you provided is helpful. I was mentally breaking things up into discrete movements rather than thinking of it as one fluid motion where the rate of input changes but leads to one arc.

Anyway, will focus on consistent car placement and improving vision.
LOVE this! You GET it. We can talk about it all we want, but you have to work it out, push the pedals and turn the wheel. I think you're going to do well at this!

Please keep us posted.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:54 AM
Cayman_Sense
Rennlist Member

LOVE this! You GET it. We can talk about it all we want, but you have to work it out, push the pedals and turn the wheel. I think you're going to do well at this!

Please keep us posted.
Better this time around. I got in three sessions and had to head out early.

I’m still at the steeper part of the curve but turn 1 and 13 felt more consistent and I was able to see/feel the undulation turning into 13 much better. I know it’s not about speed but I did shave off -0.5 seconds combined across both turns - 1.1 in total and then repeated it a few times through the sessions.

I can definitely carry more speed everywhere but focused more on rate of input along with car placement - felt much better turning in later and having more confidence exiting vs having to lift to avoid two wheels off.

If interested, here is a quick lap which was arguably the worst in terms of hitting apexes. I think I missed them all (I do everything 100%). Go figure.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cayman_Sense:
ProCoach (09-05-2023), Veloce Raptor (10-17-2023)
Old 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
GT3_Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

Any advise will be greatly appreciated, especially in the danger areas.
I'm heading back this weekend.

BTW, I was on street tires for this video.

I'll be using slick this weekend

Old 03-20-2024, 05:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

One piece of advice is avoid getting behind slow white Corvettes It really messed up the last quarter of your fairly quick laps!
The following 3 users liked this post by Veloce Raptor:
4boyzdad (03-20-2024), GT3_Driver (03-20-2024), ProCoach (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 05:14 PM
4boyzdad
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A couple of comments: You're driving really well. The CS's are awesome!

I don't know the track, but I have improved my laptimes when I work really hard on hitting my braking marks and my apex marks every time. For curbs/apexes, inches matter. It's easy to get lazy on it, but when I focus on it, I improve.

Hard to tell because there is no throttle/brake/steering angle on the vid, but my gut and the accelerometer tell me you can carry some more speed through some turns. That might be the hardest part of improving my laptimes I've had to tackle, but it makes a giant difference overall.

You'll love the slicks. Keeping buying those

Old 03-21-2024, 01:55 PM
GT3_Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
One piece of advice is avoid getting behind slow white Corvettes It really messed up the last quarter of your fairly quick laps!

I almost put that at the end of the video.

And how about the no point by on the straight?
The following users liked this post:
Veloce Raptor (07-14-2024)

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH