Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 01:17 PM
sierralima
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent some time thinking about this. I've been driving around with tape on my window and focusing on vision. The tape is cool...I think I learned to scan the distance years ago when I was taking flying lessons.

I will leave the tape up until the next event. If it improves my vision 10% that is significant.... I like the eyebrow thing, too.

I think the issue last few events (after working with an instructor) is I've been working on using "every inch" of the track to improve my lines. Apparently previously I was driving with a safety net of extra track. So I'm trying to be more precise and not leave extra track on the table. At COTA I was told if I hit the yellow turtles I could damage my suspension. My suspension is still under modification and has been damaged the previous 2 events, so I sensitive to this (custom end links being fabricated).

I don't trust my peripheral vision enough to try to place my tires within inches of something potentially damaging, so I'm looking down to see how close I am and make mental notes to make adjustments next lap.

If being "close enough" is ok I don't feel the need to look down. If I'm aware I need to be more precise and drive closer to a target I have a hard time looking past the target while gauging my progress.

I tend to type and think in hyperbole. Being married to an engineer I should know better. I will try to use my precise words. ;-)

Originally I posted I was braking late. Technically I know this is not the case. I am just initiating my braking further down the track than other people driving the same car.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:22 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Work HARD on the street using the tricks above.

Trust and confidence will follow. Few of us are allowed as much track time as we would want - training for some things can occur off-track daily.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Work HARD on the street using the tricks above.

Trust and confidence will follow. Few of us are allowed as much track time as we would want - training for some things can occur off-track daily.
+1,000,000

It HAS to be second nature. I like feeling the joint between the sidewall and tread of the front tire "nibble" at where I think it should be...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-12-2015, 02:58 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ProCoach
+1,000,000

It HAS to be second nature. I like feeling the joint between the sidewall and tread of the front tire "nibble" at where I think it should be...
"Feeling..." is all I have because I shut my eyes during those pesky, scary parts.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:48 PM
sierralima
Instructor

It is good to know street practice pays off. If there is not traffic (or curbs) I've been practicing trying to get as close as possible to the apex of the turns on the street while keeping my eyes above the tape. Haven't hit anything...yet. ;-)

Went out for lunch just now, something caught my eye, and I had an immediate voice in my head saying, "Keep your eyes above the tape!"
Old 03-12-2015, 04:32 PM
Misdirection
Instructor

I dunno, sierralima, basically all I heard here was that you need a GT3...?
Old 03-12-2015, 05:30 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow- Love that tip- clear piece of tape on windshield!! Gonna use that !! On the highway, to practice looking in the distance, I tell students to look for the mile markers- then the next one.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:44 PM
sierralima
Instructor

Originally Posted by Misdirection
I dunno, sierralima, basically all I heard here was that you need a GT3...?

I bet if I was driving a GT3 I wouldn't be f'ing around with Scotch tape on my windshield....

I'm totally kidding. I still would....

Sometimes it does feel like I brought a knife to a gun fight.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:44 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 990 Likes on 594 Posts

For sensing where the tires are, the rumble strips on the highway are great. Try to just touch them. Also, use the little reflector tabs (the stick on ones on new highways) between lanes to try and hit them. My record is something like 140 in a row.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:04 AM
sierralima
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
For sensing where the tires are, the rumble strips on the highway are great. Try to just touch them. Also, use the little reflector tabs (the stick on ones on new highways) between lanes to try and hit them. My record is something like 140 in a row.
This is another awesome idea. There are rumble strips on the road on the way to work. I'm thinking also the erratic driving will cause more people to give me wide berth.

Yesterday it was raining and I missed seeing a large puddle at an apex and created quite a splash.

Thanks for making commuting fun again! ;-)
Old 03-13-2015, 11:49 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

HEY! While you're having fun, why not start using your left foot to brake as often and as well as you can???
Old 03-13-2015, 12:05 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 175 Posts

HEY! While you're having fun, why not start using your left foot to brake as often and as well as you can???
I tried this but I spilled my beer.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:36 PM
sierralima
Instructor

Another awesome idea. I've been putting off LFB as I need the roll cage and race seats installed. Right now I end up bracing my left knee against the door and rubbing the skin off it at the track....

I've put off race seats as I daily drive the M3 and like my heated seats, and esp sitting at grid or on the track when it is cold.

But there is no reason I can't start LFB on the road....

I'm a dentist. About a year ago in anticipation of LFB I started alternating LF controlling the foot pedal for the drill. Not sure if it is helpful but adds some excitement to the day.

This morning I noticed as I was hitting the reflectors and rumble strips it seems I have probably 6 inches more room on the left than I thought. Didn't want to scare the people in the right lane so will work on that on the way home. Plus LFB.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:41 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Treat EVERY corner on the street as though you're on a track.

They ALL have a turn in, an apex and a track out - and they all change constantly. Identify them, even within your lane...and practice using your new vision.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Treat EVERY corner on the street as though you're on a track.

They ALL have a turn in, an apex and a track out - and they all change constantly. Identify them, even within your lane...and practice using your new vision.
I heel toe, rev match, look as far ahead as I can, etc., and LFB every minute i'm in my street car.. to be honest I assumed most racers (or ex-racers in my case) did.. no? Only reason I look at the car in front of me is to see what she looks like.

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH