What is a good Lemons' car.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:05 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Dodge Neon RT

Quite a few out there with full cages from the Neon Cup race's.

I'm trying to talk my "team" into building a BMW Isetta for Chump Car (friend of mine has three). I figure we would be the only team on pit lane with a pull start.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:07 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ So.....who's da U-boat commander?? LOL

We've been running a Gen 1 RX7, and so far it's been a PIA with a lot of potential. We were at the NJMP race last month, and spent much of the weekend battling carburetor issues. It was only our 2nd race. The motor blew up last year at Capitol Offense (Shenandoah Circuit of Summit Point WV). We're making progress, but its not been an easy venture. But racing in LeMons in a bunch of fun.

A number of Integra's did extremely well at NJMP. I'm waiting for Ford Foci to get cheap enough; I think they could be an ideal car.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:30 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I drove Scott Barton's BMW/318 - "Red Baron" AKA "Red Reck".. at the LEMONS at NJMP.. Amazing car. Very easy to drive, handles very well and very competitive. Especially easy to learn for a 911 guy like me who is not used to such a neutral car. Strip the inside and you have a car that would be fun to drive at any DE.. I did a test drive a week earlier and got out with a HUGE grin.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:07 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
We're running a Hippie 914, $600 on Craigslist and sold off the interior and hood. We don't pull on many cars, but it'll corner around almost anything out there, which is ridiculously fun. Race weight is around 1700# plus driver.
THe hippie 914 is too cool!!

Old 05-05-2011, 11:34 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, what events are you running? We will be at summit, gingerman and nelsons.

Originally Posted by analogmike
THe hippie 914 is too cool!!

Old 05-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. I am forwarding this thread to the rest of the guys on our team. I realize that it is partially a carnival atmosphere and partial a race/DE. We are just looking to do something different for fun.

BTW - I am surprised that a E30 can be bought for $500.

Cory - NSX!! LOL.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:58 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ritesh
Thanks guys. I am forwarding this thread to the rest of the guys on our team. I realize that it is partially a carnival atmosphere and partial a race/DE. We are just looking to do something different for fun.

Cory - NSX!! LOL.
A lot of it depends on what your definition of a $500 car is. Say you bought 87 325i for 800, sold off what you can for $700. In LeMons eyes, that is now a $100 car, so you can then put $400 into the car. Also depends on what state you are in. Here, no inspection, so you can drive whatever you have until the wheels fall off. Trust me, I have seen it. But, states like California, where there is inspection and emissions, you can pick up cheap cars more readily, because the fail one or the other. I have found a lot of E30's for the right number, occasionally miata's(especially if you can get one with a hardtop, as you can sell that alone for more than $500), and other cars.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:06 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

there were 3 e36's @ NJMP.

Originally Posted by Ritesh

Cory - NSX!! LOL.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only comment is that if you think of yourself as a 'racer' then lemons probably isn't for you. Lemons is a carnival ride, the racing at Chump Car is a lot better, but that's not to say it's perfect. How is an FC RX7 with a SHO motor moved back 2' a $500 AIV (average internet value) car?

I've raced on 2 different e30 teams this year, in the 2 events/4 races we've done we've finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. They're great cars for chump car.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:07 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVISRILEY
Agreed, what events are you running? We will be at summit, gingerman and nelsons.
We love our tiny little car. It makes us look like clowns getting into it however. We'll run the Chumpcar races in Texas this year, but likely not any Lemons events. There's an 18 hour throw down scheduled for this Summer at TWS, talk about a car eater.

We've had our fun with Lemons and tired of it, the BS, the penalties, costumes, bad driving take-outs, etc...Chump is racier, has better drivers.

Don't think it's any cheaper than running a real race car like a Spec Miata, CMC or 944, it's not.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:55 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

A car that you don't want to drive....

Quick Reply: What is a good Lemons' car.