Sponsored by:

David Murry Tracks Days at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:49 AM
tmark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default David Murry Tracks Days at VIR

Thanks to Mike, Peter, Bill, Ray and all the other Rennlisters who joined us at VIR over the last couple of days.

David and I look forward to seeing all of you again soon.

Best,

-Mark

Last edited by tmark; 04-23-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:54 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Mark, many thanks to you and David Murry for pulling of yet another wonderful event! I personally cannot say enough about what these David Murry events have to offer! Open track for 2 days with up to 7 hours of track time at VIR with David Murry to review your data and video for consultation. I am not sure what else you could ask of an event. I am a believer! Everybody I talked to said they had a fantastic time!

It was nice to get to talk in person with the gents from the south! Really cool true Porsche enthusiasts like Peter and the others! It was great to run with you guys and see your GT3 RS's out there stretching their legs. You guys are some really great drivers!

Mark, did you guys say you had some more dates this year?

I was able to shave some more time off at VIR with the help of David Murry. I know I still have areas to work on, but was generally very pleased with my progress. Here is my best lap from the week....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btnoyyYYIao
Old 04-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Rceron
Racer

I did 322 track miles and left right after lunch on the second day. Great event. I will return for September !
Old 04-23-2011, 08:15 PM
AC coupe
Instructor

a few shots from VIR, had way too much time on my hands waiting on the black V8 MCoupe that never ran, but what a fantastic track, I'll definitively be back with my own car soon.

the sets on flickr are downloadable so, if you see your car feel free to download the hi rez versions
cheers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1270955...37198315/show/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1270955...7626437198315/

Old 04-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Bman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Great event!

I was only able to drive on Wednesday but had a blast. Started the morning with some brake problems but was good to go by 10am.

Walked VIR for the first time while the track was closed for lunch. Very helpful!

Turned similar lap times from the Zone 2 event in March but I think some of the tips I picked up are going to help. I wished I could have stayed the 2nd day to work on hitting a few new marks.

Enjoyed meeting some RLister's!

Beautiful pictures AC coupe! Too bad, no GT2's
Old 04-23-2011, 09:26 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AC coupe
I think I recognise this car!!! Thanks so much for sharing the pics as I love this photo of me going into Hogs Pen! Really cool of you to share these pics with us. I am going to make this pic my desktop background!

Thanks again!!!

Mike
Old 04-23-2011, 09:29 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bman
Great event!

I was only able to drive on Wednesday but had a blast. Started the morning with some brake problems but was good to go by 10am.

Walked VIR for the first time while the track was closed for lunch. Very helpful!

Turned similar lap times from the Zone 2 event in March but I think some of the tips I picked up are going to help. I wished I could have stayed the 2nd day to work on hitting a few new marks.

Enjoyed meeting some RLister's!

Hey, I think Bruce introduced us to each other at the Bar at Oak Tree on Tuesday night. I was the goofey guy to the right of Bruce at the table. You have the silver GT2, right? Man, that car sure pulls hard on the straights! At times I thought I was in my Miata with you, LOL!

That track walk must have been cool! Care to share anything you saw that was of interest?

See you soon,

Mike
Old 04-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That's the climbing esses. Hog pen doesn't have that wall with catch fence on the outside like that.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:32 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
That's the climbing esses. Hog pen doesn't have that wall with catch fence on the outside like that.
Oh yea, look at that! Cool catch! I guess the shalow depth of field fooled me a bit
Old 04-23-2011, 09:33 PM
AC coupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bman
Great event!

that's not entirely true

Old 04-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
Oh yea, look at that! Cool catch! I guess the shalow depth of field fooled me a bit
And a very odd shot. Most people don't shoot that angle. I'm pretty sure I know who owns at least one of those sets of tires marks from the SCCA double national too....
Old 04-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 836 Posts

I think I recognise this car!!! Thanks so much for sharing the pics as I love this photo of me going into Hogs Pen! Really cool of you to share these pics with us. I am going to make this pic my desktop background!

Thanks again!!!

Mike
Beautiful shot! Now if only your car were pointed a couple of more degrees to the right (by starting to unwind steering a bit sooner than what the video shows you doing), it would have made the esses a lot easier/smoother/faster for you.

Sounds like a great event.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Bman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey, I think Bruce introduced us to each other at the Bar at Oak Tree on Tuesday night. You have the silver GT2, right?

Care to share anything you saw that was of interest?
Yes! And don't forget the Red Bank connection!

Walked the track with Aaron Povoledo. He talked a lot about where to position the car in Nascar, T4, South Bend, Oak Tree and Hog Pen. He took the car we were using in the walk and positioned it at the entry or exit of different turns. We would then walk around to see it from different angles. Most interesting was his insistence on touching the left curbing entering South Bend but also pointed out that you can't hit the begining of the curbing without serious risk of breaking a shock.

T1 was surprising. It's more downhill than expected and initial turn in has positive camber but flatens out at the apex.

Originally Posted by AC coupe
that's not entirely true
Sweet thanks!
Old 04-24-2011, 12:07 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Beautiful shot! Now if only your car were pointed a couple of more degrees to the right (by starting to unwind steering a bit sooner than what the video shows you doing), it would have made the esses a lot easier/smoother/faster for you.

Sounds like a great event.
Hey Dave, that's exactly what David Murry and I were working on with my driving, turning the car with several different techniques. Makes total sense to me that you notice this (good eye by the way!). Not sure why it has taken me so long but I think I finally understand just how important the business of turning the car is. Kinda one of those "duh" moments you have in your life. The good news is I think the pieces of this sport are finally starting to make sense for me. I know I still have much to learn and look forward to more track time to do so!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad you are driving the White car again at times!!

Quick Reply: David Murry Tracks Days at VIR