Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Videos from Sunday's NASA/PRC race at Thunderhill.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 12:27 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Videos from Sunday's NASA/PRC race at Thunderhill.

It was my first time racing with NASA / PRC and had a blast! The field was pretty large, over 40 cars in the race on Saturday and Sunday. It was a bummer that Tom's car broke on Saturday which kept him out of Sunday's race.

Here's 2 youtube videos from my last minute smartycam setup (gps wasn't working rite, and it was kinda crooked.. lol) from Sunday's race if anyone wants to kill 30 minutes. This was the third time having the car out and I'm still trying to get a feel for the brakes, hopefully improving each time though. Not sure what lap times we ran in the race, but I think pole was 1:53.2 on Sunday.

first half of the race

second half

-mike
Old 04-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike: while I was bummed to miss Sunday, I'll be back at it shortly. It was good to see you again. Will you be back in mid-May? You'll have much more competition then.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Welcome to the PRC. What year is your car? What kinds of challenges are you having with the brakes?

I took a look at the results... looks like the track was a little green... some of the times were off a bit, although the esses and the turn 14-15 complex were wide open. We usually see this in our April event.

We may see 45-50 cars in May and more consistently later this year. For example, there are at least eight (8) GT-2 classed cars around that weren't there... most of these should lap between 1:48 and 1:52. I think most of these will show up in May or for sure June at Sears Point. Plus maybe a few more factory cars (e.g., Rich), and 2-3 more GTL. I expect we will see some Spec Boxsters and a few others as well. I think our counts will be up this year. We should see some tighter racing with more cars at the 1:50 - 1:55 time at Thunderhill and the 1:37 - 1:42 time at Sears Point, along with more cars in the less prepped categories, so traffic skills and driving courtesy will be tested.

- Mike
Old 04-19-2011, 01:31 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Tom, ya I'll definitely be back in May! Hopefully I can pickup the pace by then.

Mike, thanks! The car I drove last weekend is an 09. I'm just having trouble moving from my old 996 WC car (didn't have too much seat time in it, but it was much easier to drive quickly). I'm not used to the amount of pedal effort that it takes to get the car slowed down and the lack of feel. The timing for the downshifts while using so much force on the brake pedal is also taking some getting used to. I think I can get there, it's just taking me much longer than it did in the 996 w/ the power assisted brakes and ABS.

It also feels like it has less overall grip than the old 996 WC car. It also has less power. Granted, I don't have much experience in the Cup's so I'm still learning how to get the setup rite and all that stuff. It's hard being aggressive, which it seems that these cars like, when you're not so confident in your braking zones.

For the entire weekend, I don't think I trail braked at speed more than once or twice-- in the old car I'd basically drive around with my left foot covering the brake pedal. I went back to basics to try and focus on brake pedal pressure and downshifts.

It's probably time for some professional coaching w/ the car now that I'm feeling more comfortable getting it around the track. :-)

-mike
Old 04-19-2011, 01:48 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

WTH, was the bi-pass optional? I saw a ST video from Sat & Sunday and they didn't use the bi-pass. The alternate route wasn't coned off in either race which could be confusing I would think...
Old 04-19-2011, 02:05 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
WTH, was the bi-pass optional? I saw a ST video from Sat & Sunday and they didn't use the bi-pass. The alternate route wasn't coned off in either race which could be confusing I would think...
I think PRC was the only run group going over the top, it looked like everyone else was using the bypass. I don't remember there being cones up for our session at any point during the weekend, they just told us we were using the cyclone so that's where I went.

Probably would have been more confusing for someone that was also running another car in a different session... come to think of it, there probably should be cones setup there Just In Case.

-mike
Old 04-19-2011, 09:31 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fleadh
I think PRC was the only run group going over the top, it looked like everyone else was using the bypass. I don't remember there being cones up for our session at any point during the weekend, they just told us we were using the cyclone so that's where I went.

Probably would have been more confusing for someone that was also running another car in a different session... come to think of it, there probably should be cones setup there Just In Case.

-mike
Oops I had that backwartds. I thought going over the top was the Bi-pass, I stand corrected. I completely agree about the cones. I can visulize some ugly incidents there.....

So, which way is considered quicker? Bipass or Cyclone?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:47 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 872 Likes on 431 Posts

So, which way is considered quicker? Bipass or Cyclone?
Bypass.....2 or 3 seconds faster.

Scott
Old 04-19-2011, 10:07 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by winders
Bypass.....2 or 3 seconds faster.

Scott
Good will that makes sense. Mike's PRC qualifying Sunday was very close to the fastest ST car which I've beat recently at Cal Speedway. I should be 2-3 seconds behind a 7-cup so now it equates.

I have booked the hotel, reserved Trackmaster's for Friday practice, and I'm looking forward to running T-hill in May for the first time....
Old 04-19-2011, 10:28 PM
winders
Race Car

JR,

They have been checking sound at Thunderhill.

Scott
Old 04-19-2011, 11:32 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by winders
JR,

They have been checking sound at Thunderhill.

Scott
Yea I heard that. Mooty says they haven't at the NASA/PRC events and that I'll be fine. Maybe I should ask some of the NASA guys.....
Old 04-19-2011, 11:49 PM
winders
Race Car

Yea I heard that. Mooty says they haven't at the NASA/PRC events and that I'll be fine. Maybe I should ask some of the NASA guys.....
JR,

I asked a highly placed source in the PRC and was told that Thunderhill did sound checks this last weekend during the NASA event and will do so at the PCA event at the end of the month.

I know there were sound problems on Friday before the event that some blamed on atmospheric conditions.

Scott
Old 04-19-2011, 11:54 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Hmmm... Well NASA doesn't say anything on their event info page or signup sheet about sound. I asked the question on NASA's forum and probably should call their office tomorrow. That would be a long haul for nothing. I could take my elbows w/Supertraps off my Laguna mufflers. That should get me to 103...

Also, it appears the Pirelli Cup Group has bought a run group from NASA so in addition to 2 enduros (1 Sat, 1 Sun Morning) there will be a PRC run group and race, TT's, and regular NASA races. I'd love to see that schedule before I sign up. I hear parking's a bitch there on regular weekends, this should be even worse....
Old 04-20-2011, 12:07 AM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

One of the guys in the PRC race on Sunday was black flagged (w/ about 1/3rd of the race to go) because of sound. The clouds had started to come in which probably put him over the edge... which was a bummer cause he was putting in one hell of a race.

-mike
Old 04-20-2011, 02:23 AM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PRC and the Formula Cars went over the top and all others used the bypass. Cones were not set out because of no downtime between groups.

Each group always uses the same route so there is little confusion (mostly, maybe, ok sometimes !)

And yes - Thunderhill is now checking sound during NASA events.

Quick Reply: Videos from Sunday's NASA/PRC race at Thunderhill.