Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMS Long Beach

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011 | 11:29 PM
EPWilson
Advanced

I just watched the replay. I had 3-4/4 quality for the majority of the race but that was only after closing my browser and restarting everything a few times when it dropped me to 1/4 for extended periods. I blame this on ESPN3, because I can get 9.5-9.75 Mbps on Speedtest.net whether I'm streaming the video feed or not.

Did anyone else feel like they kept panning out to the harbor just when there was great racing going on?
Old 04-18-2011 | 01:00 AM
Eric S
Rennlist Member

Default So Who Won WS Challenge today @ Long Beach?

Missed it this afternoon and can't find results posted anywhere.

Did Pat Long get back on top.
Old 04-18-2011 | 10:55 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Default ALMS.com

Should have results up. It was not a good day for the Lizards!

The ESPN coverage was better than Sebring. I would certainly hope for more race action on a tape delay. I sure miss the old live SPEED Coverage.
Old 04-18-2011 | 12:23 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

From the Lizards website and Patrick Long:

"At the time of the incident, Long was in P1, nearing the end of his first stint. The No. 56 BMW was P2 and the No. 4 Corvette in P3. Patrick explained, "I had been fighting hard since starting fourth on the grid: the BMW, the No. 4 Corvette and I had all led. Just before the incident, the No. 01 Ferrari had come out of the pits on cold tires. I drove two corners off-line trying to get around. Then, going into Turn 8, I was on the inside and braked in my normal position but I had so much debris on my tires that I couldn't get the tires stopped and flush-hit the concrete wall in the exit. At any other track, that would have meant just two wheels off in the dirt but unfortunately here that was the end of our race. I feel really badly that this happened: everyone worked really hard to get us here and to see it send so abruptly is tough."
Old 04-18-2011 | 04:09 PM
Eric S
Rennlist Member

I was actually referring to Speed World Challenge Race Sunday.

Didn't Pat Long race again vs. GMG and others in his new ride?

Might be posted by now but I couldn't find it at all last night.

Happy Sweeping John,
Old 04-18-2011 | 04:34 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Originally Posted by Eric S
I was actually referring to Speed World Challenge Race Sunday.

Didn't Pat Long race again vs. GMG and others in his new ride?

Might be posted by now but I couldn't find it at all last night.

Happy Sweeping John,

Some great racing in GT. Long rolled the start and was penalized with a pass through. One of the back markers (Volvo) took out both TC class leaders. GTS and TC class winners DQ'd after post race tech.

http://www.world-challenge.com/event...1355&event=122
Old 04-18-2011 | 05:53 PM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

Long came back from that "roll" penalty and claimed 5th at the end. Points are points...
Old 04-19-2011 | 11:24 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The WC race was a barn burner.....had a problem in qualifying that we found before the race and then on the 1st lap, got tapped from behind coming out of the hairpin and had tank-slapper......had to get out of it and lost 4-5 spots. I then had to push hard to get to the front.......burned the tires down and couldn't catch Davis at the end.....Dino would have finished right behind me but a Mustang didn't see him and came down on him, destroying his splitter......bummer.

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 04-19-2011 | 11:54 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

It was the best race of the weekend. Amazing run by James^^^ at times he was breathing down the leaders neck, but you could see the tires going away affected the porsche more than the mustang, not Pats weekend but he was laying down some blistering times reeling in the leaders. Was hoping to see some Porsche on Porsche dueling at the front but he just didn't have the time.

AMLS fields were pretty thin, class qualifying was silly with two or three cars on track at a time. Hope this isn't indicative of the rest of the season...
Whoever was running the leader lights had everyone screwed up showing the falcon tire car in first and melo second the whole race...
Old 04-19-2011 | 12:55 PM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

How is it that, even with a "rolling through the start", Long was SWALLOWED whole by the rest of the grid. He slipped back to about 6th from the start. I would think jumping the start would be beneficial....

wierd. I guess I will have to watch it again.
Old 04-19-2011 | 02:26 PM
Eifeler
Pro

From the live stream it looked like he rolled slightly, stopped and didn't have the revs up on the start.
Old 04-19-2011 | 06:02 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Unfortuantely, I once again could not watch the race. and I guess I am becoming an Indy car fan because I CAN watch the races...in full... Never been a huge Grand Am fan (I hate the DP cars), though I follow TRG as much as possible, and now Leh in Brumos also. But I am becoming more a fan because, again...I can WATCH the races. Even DVR'd and watched some <gasp> Nascar....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 04-19-2011 | 06:06 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

The actual Indy race was beyond boring. Nothing matched the excitement of the pirelli world challenge.
Old 04-19-2011 | 06:42 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Serge944
The actual Indy race was beyond boring. Nothing matched the excitement of the pirelli world challenge.
+1.... Letting the GT cars run slicks (I don't care who's slicks) was the smartest move WSC has made since their inception. The first St. Pete's race was as exciting as racing gets and Long Beach ran a close second. Now that they have a professional, marketable series, it would seem pertinent for them to upgrade the quality of their live streaming/TV products starting with the announcers. Get a manager who can run the cameras, and someone who doesn't sound like a drunken Irishmen at a horse race....
Old 04-19-2011 | 11:47 PM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by naroescape
Unfortuantely, I once again could not watch the race. and I guess I am becoming an Indy car fan because I CAN watch the races...in full... Never been a huge Grand Am fan (I hate the DP cars), though I follow TRG as much as possible, and now Leh in Brumos also. But I am becoming more a fan because, again...I can WATCH the races. Even DVR'd and watched some <gasp> Nascar....
This one will be broadcast in full on Versus in a couple weeks. It's a great race...watch it!

Quick Reply: ALMS Long Beach