Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Douche bag of the week

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:13 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll bet he drove flat out, the whole time.
That's how they drive.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:24 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,905 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Originally Posted by scwaters
Gather in the morning in the hotel lobby for transport to Barber Motorsports Park for the Porsche entry level driving school and this guy shows up in a fully badged and monogramed Ferrari MS Driving suit, helemet & shoes. Wore them both days. Didn't have a clue.
Yea that was me. The MS suit alone was worth .3 seconds a lap, helmet .1 and shoes .2 seconds. Hate the game not the playa.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:32 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Yea that was me. The MS suit alone was worth .3 seconds a lap, helmet .1 and shoes .2 seconds. Hate the game not the playa.
So what is on the approved clothing list according to the RL racing masters?

According to some posts in this thread,
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...kends-ago.html

a driving suit and full fire gear is a good idea for any racing or DE event. According to this thread, they make you look like a douche. So which thread is correct, this one or the fire thread?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:24 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by azbanks

a driving suit and full fire gear is a good idea for any racing or DE event. According to this thread, they make you look like a douche. So which thread is correct, this one or the fire thread?
Yes.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:55 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
Yes.
All grins aside, this place can be intimidating at times. This is a safety issue and snooty comments could indeed hold a guy back from purchasing nomex over, say, speed mods when the time comes.

Just sayin' you know.

Hope yer fast....
Old 04-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by azbanks

In races, Nomex/CarbonX is mandatory, and with good reason. There is much more opportunity for vehicles to collide, there is much higher anecdotal evidence of vehicles catching fire, etc.

In DE's, it is a personal choice. As drivers progress with their skills & start adding things to their cars, such as seats, harnesses, roll bars, suspensions etc., extra safety gear such as HANS devices, full cages, fire extinguishers, etc become "must do's" IMO, because the risk of going off track & hitting something and/or rolling the car in a DE is still high, especially as folks show up with higher & higher HP cars. As for wearing a driving suit in a DE? On one hand, it is a great idea. On the other hand, especially for us in hot climates and who are getting in and out of many students' cars throughout the weekend, it becomes an uncomfortable idea at best. Some may disagree with me, but IMO the risk of a fire in a DE has proved to be relatively low as compared with the risk of a collision or rollover.

As a result, I will rarely if ever wear Nomex at a DE. YMMV.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:12 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great answer Raptor....

Now, where are my string gloves....
Old 04-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

I wear Nomex only when I have to (racing). Otherwise, I'd rather be cool since I rate the danger posed by a loss of concentration due to dehydration or overheating is a greater risk than fire at a DE. Besides, wearing full race gear for a DE in a relatively stock car makes you look like a poseur
Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I feel a bit silly in a mostly stock car at a de in a suit just like I feel silly in a stripped racecar in jeans and t shirt...
Old 04-27-2011, 11:11 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB
All grins aside, this place can be intimidating at times. This is a safety issue and snooty comments could indeed hold a guy back from purchasing nomex over, say, speed mods when the time comes.

Just sayin' you know.

Hope yer fast....
As said above, in a race car, everything is mandatory, fire suit, HANS, nomex, etc. But the person of interest in this thread was wearing a fire suit on a track parade lap during lunch where it's lead follow at 50 MPH (it was supposed to be until he thought he'd blow by others).

For a DE, I never wear a fire suit.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
I feel a bit silly in a mostly stock car at a de in a suit just like I feel silly in a stripped racecar in jeans and t shirt...
I've gone full circle on it. I used to smirk at DE guys wearing their bunny suits. But if I was ever to drive my SRF at a DE, I would always wear the nomex, but I can't say exactly why. All the arguments for wearing street clothes in a street car apply to a DE in the race car. It would just look silly being on track in blue jeans and a sweatshirt, in an open cockpit race car.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:30 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts

Above perspectives about nomex, etc in a Race setting vs. DE are valid. However, in the past 10 years I have seen 2 cars burn at DE. One was a 944 turbo and the other was an aircooled 911. Neither as a result of driver error. As an instructor I jump in and out of at 4 different people's cars at each DE. I don't know whether one of those cars may have a loose oil fitting, or a fiberglass bumper that offers no protection for the fuel tank. It may be a 1/million chance that there could be a fire... but I would feel irresponsible subjecting my wife & daughter to the risk of me being seriously burned when that risk can be so easily reduced by the simple precaution of wearing a suit, etc. Same reason why I wear a HANS whenever I can (i.e. if car has harnesses).

Lady Luck doesn't care that it's "just a DE."
Old 04-27-2011, 02:03 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
But if I was ever to drive my SRF at a DE, I would always wear the nomex, but I can't say exactly why.
Because it's a proper race car, not a street car.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The car does not care when it crashes if it is a DE or a race
The car does not care when it rolls over if it is a DE or a race
The car does not care when it catches fire if it is a DE or a race

Crashing at speed in a DE will hurt you just as much as in a race

While the risk of contact may be greater in a race, the risk of a crash (with or without a fire) is likely greater at a DE due to a less experienced driver and less experience driver's around them.

I have worked in a burn unit and would never wish that upon my worst enemy.

I started wearing Carbon-X unders at DE's years ago (under street clothes so I would not look like a poseur - not ideal I know but better than nothing) and now that I do more open track events than DE's, I wear a full Nomex suit - even though I do not race.

The roll bar and HANS were added a few years ago and, yes I wear the HANS at DE's - I don't care what people think anymore.

I just started instructing and, if I continue to do so, I will get an R3.

Be safe and don't worry what other people think of you.

Marc
p.s. I don't wear the Nomex suit or HANS on parade laps though.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
The roll bar and HANS were added a few years ago and, yes I wear the HANS at DE's - I don't care what people think anymore.
You definitely see more HANS's at DEs than nomex suits.

Quick Reply: Douche bag of the week