Old 04-03-2011, 09:24 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts
Default 987.2 Cayman S 3.8 DFI Conversion Question

WARNING:

Who has attempted this thus far and can verify how plug & play it really is? I have researched the project for many many months now and all of the steps involved, albeit essentially driven by a daydream. We've spent the last 18 months trying to support this car in a class against M3s, Camaros and Fords, all with V8 power and while it would probably make more sense for everyone involved to be allowed to drop that larger engine in our tiny Cayman, there are too many reasons as to why that's NOT an option. Terribly illegal, blatantly obvious and potential political suicide should anyone from PCNA, PCAG or PMNA find out, are a few. Until Porsche feels it's time, I'm afraid this is what we get from the factory; however if people knew the true horsepower potential of the existing 3.4 DFI engine after just bolt-ons, they would be very impressed. But everyone always wants more!

There have been some pretty impressive Cayman conversions thus far but the DFI lineage of 911 powerplants has opened up a much easier path to achieve greater power figures with less development. We have gathered the parts, done the homework, and above all, have the ridiculous curiosity to put this dream to fruition and create reliable power, but more importantly torque, which is what the car needs for racing against V8s. The 3.8 DFI platform and everything that we've been allowed to do bolt onto our tiny 3.4 create estimated crank HP numbers beyond 450, with huge gains for torque. The Audi based 6-speed Getrag gearbox in the DFI Cayman that exists in that Cayman and only a handful of other cars worldwide is beefy, fully serviceable and confirmed by Matt at Guard Transmission to be up to the task. That means that there’s already a gearbox that’s proven in endurance racing by BGB, and up to the task with existing limited slip differentials ready. Yes, we haven’t tried bolting this much power to it but there’s always only one way to find out.

We just need a volunteer customer, which is probably a nicer word for guinea pig. Who is up for it?!?!? Or… phrased another way, who wants to make someone with a Cup car feel bad when they get outrun by a Cayman with the same power & torque for nearly half the cost?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts

Subscribed!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a Rennlister over here in New Port Richey that is transplanting one into a '04 Boxster. He has motor, wiring harness and ECU ready to go in. Maybe he will chime in.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:46 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
There is a Rennlister over here in New Port Richey that is transplanting one into a '04 Boxster. He has motor, wiring harness and ECU ready to go in. Maybe he will chime in.
I have spoken briefly with him via email. He's got a good handle on things but he is starting with a non-DFI gearbox, chassis harness and other pre-2009 parts.

Starting with a 987.2 existing 3.4 liter car is required for it to be an easy evolution unfortunately.

John
Old 04-03-2011, 03:47 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Correction. You can also start with the DFI 2.7 car since its only manual offering is the same 6-speed in the 3.4 car. So now the donor is even cheaper!
Old 04-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 203 Posts

Hey John,

The small motor DFI car is a 2.9L... the 2.7 went away with the rest of the non DFI cars..

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 04-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Another suggestion would be a 3.8L DFI conversion to a 2.9L PDK Cayman, that trans has been tested way above the load limit of the 3.8L DFI motor in the 911 and would be and awesome GT3 eater..
The following users liked this post:
rmann (05-02-2023)
Old 04-03-2011, 04:46 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Rick, I'm with ya on that one...a DFI 3.8L w/ PDK would be unbelievable.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:12 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Absolutely. When I pitched this program to the boss, he said it was mandatory that Super Cayman 002 be PDK. So, it's already in the works as an offering for DE or sprint race only, as its endurance abilities are found to be heat handicapped.

Rick...I was bit trigger happy. You are correct indeed!
Old 04-03-2011, 08:23 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Absolutely. When I pitched this program to the boss, he said it was mandatory that Super Cayman 002 be PDK. So, it's already in the works as an offering for DE or sprint race only, as its endurance abilities are found to be heat handicapped.

Is there a transmission cooler you can run if PDK runs hot? I believe Porsche now makes the Carrera S and GTS cars with PDK and a cooler in the center grill section is standard.

Speed Merchants runs a PDK Carrera S in race situations and I spoke with them at the 48hrs and they said after 100 race hours they took PDK out to put in new clutches as a maintance service and they said the clutches were not really worn, looked new so all they did was change the fluid.

My PDK car is now 2.5 years old with around 10-15 DE's a year so I was thinking about spending the $420 and having both fluids changed in my PDK as preventave maintanance.

I still need to figure out the issue I had at Daytona on the high banks where the car would show PSM failure and go out of Sport Chrono mode into normal mode. I sent the code to Porsche from my dealer but Porsche would not say anything was wrong. I have no issues at Sebring or Barber but over 125mph on the Daytona banks threw this code.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's OK John.... I know how excited you get....!! It's your passion, you love it....
Old 04-04-2011, 09:15 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sorry dude...i still have much to learn.

My crew guys have been asking me to talk to you and see if Softronic makes a rev limiter bump for me at the race track when i hit the ignition cut too early in the weekend; the guys want to be able to keep backing up my mental rev limiter so we don't window my head, i mean the case...i mean. nevermind.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:08 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rick,

I think I made another mistake. The 2009 Cayman 2.9 car still runs the Bosch ME 7.8 DME, so I was wrong entirely. It would have to be a Cayman S donor with a 3.4 liter DFI starting point. It would have helped the starting price point of the donor car a lot but appears to be a dead end. Sorry.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:27 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

We will not be supporting the PDK gearbox with an LSD any time in the foreseeable future. Have you seen one of them out of the car? The factory LSD is smaller than a 901 differential. There's not enough room in there to get a proper LSD into that case. Without a well functioning LSD I don't think a PDK car would ever be competitive in a real racing environment. They make great DE track toys but we do not consider the current manifestation of the PDK gearbox race worthy.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:29 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Rick,

I think I made another mistake. The 2009 Cayman 2.9 car still runs the Bosch ME 7.8 DME, so I was wrong entirely. It would have to be a Cayman S donor with a 3.4 liter DFI starting point. It would have helped the starting price point of the donor car a lot but appears to be a dead end. Sorry.
Furthermore, to my knowledge, the 6spd used in the '09+ non-S cars is the same as the pre-2009 S 6spd. What this means is the bell housing bolt pattern on those gearboxes will not mate up to the revised layout of the DFI engine case bolt pattern. Only a DFI 6spd will bolt up to a DFI engine case.

Quick Reply: 987.2 Cayman S 3.8 DFI Conversion Question