Sponsored by:

WEVO or Rennshift Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:44 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 914 Likes on 447 Posts
Default WEVO or Rennshift Shifter?

First, let me say I have read through every thread here on the WEVO and Rennshift. I paid special attention to those threads containing comparisons.

I am looking for a 915 shifter for my race car. I don't even have 915 shifter housing currently. Price is a concern but not the main driving force. I am not asking about the WEVO 915 Gateshift product.

Just about every one I know in my area that has an after market shifter has the WEVO and loves it. From what I have read, people that have the Rennshift product love it too.

My questions are: Is the Rennshift as good or better than the WEVO from a design and operational standpoint and how are the different from a design and operational perspective? I do know that the Rennshift comes with its own housing. Does the Rennshift do the same things as the WEVO or are the two designs fundamentally different?

The other threads have not really answered my questions.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 03-30-2011, 01:53 PM
winders
Race Car

No one??

Scott
Old 03-30-2011, 02:29 PM
wleon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wevo

pretty much all the racers in the POC use a wevo period. sure helps the 915 in a race environment.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

We have the full wevo package on a Carrera and it is nice, big improvement over stock, have never tried the Rennshift

Hargett is another option, I have that on my car and like it but it's a G50 so the design is different (they do make a 915 shifter too though)
Old 03-30-2011, 07:58 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used the WEVO with my 915 for years. I have the WEVO gate in the tranny and all the WEVO linkage/shifter parts as well as the shifter itself. Aside from some of the linkage parts (little pins/parts, etc) definitely being wear items, I've NEVER had an issue. I've never used the other part. The one thing I would caution you on is your expectations of how "short" the shifts are going to be. Going to 5th gear is still a deliberate and not so smooth motion.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:06 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by PedroNole
I've used the WEVO with my 915 for years. I have the WEVO gate in the tranny and all the WEVO linkage/shifter parts as well as the shifter itself. Aside from some of the linkage parts (little pins/parts, etc) definitely being wear items, I've NEVER had an issue. I've never used the other part. The one thing I would caution you on is your expectations of how "short" the shifts are going to be. Going to 5th gear is still a deliberate and not so smooth motion.
Pedro,

My 915 has the Guard Transmission output shaft with the changeable 1st gear. I will have an active 1st gear so 5th will be used less often than on most 915 equipped cars.

I actually like the idea of setting up the short shift to be only 20% shorter than stock. A 915 does not like to be shifted too quickly. I am looking for better feel and precision. A better automatic reverse lockout would be a plus as would be the option to have a manual reverse lockout.

This is why I keep leaning toward the Rennshift. The people that have it, love it.....

Decisions.....

Scott
Old 03-30-2011, 08:44 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Used a rennshift several years ago and never had a problem, but I didn't like the springs-too easy for me to slide to the 1-3 and 5th channel. I'm sure that there were heavier springs available but never got to that point. Wevo since and never had a problem.
There's plenty of guys with plenty of experience and the majority are with Wevo...

Quick Reply: WEVO or Rennshift Shifter?