Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Floor Covering...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used vinyl tile, but would just use sheet vinyl if I had to do it again, Menards has checker board for under $1 a square foot.
Attached Images   
Old 03-27-2011, 01:32 PM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I spent $1,500 for the Line-X floor in my 8.5x20 V-Nose Thule. For my son 6x12 V-Nose MX Mission Trailers I when the fast and inexpensive route. I used http://www.bltllc.com/ garage flooring you can get it at Costco in the summer they sell it in 7.5 x 17 rolls ~$185. The floor is held in place by the tie down track. You will have to get creative because your trailer is wider than 7.5 ft. If you look for wider rolls it will be much more expensive. Personally I do not like vinyl flooring in a car hauler the car will pull it up. I thing you would be better off using anti-slip industrial coating. Whatever you us make sure it is anti-slip or you can add sand. When the coatings without anti-slip gets wet it will be like a skating rink.
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2011, 06:26 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Scott,

My trailer had aluminum deckplate - very nice - non slip.

I would not do plastic/rubber tiles. As stated, they expand and are very difficult in the sunlight.

I would look at:
1) Spray in liner (I have no idea if that meets your price target).
2) Find a rubbery paint with 'grit' in it, or that you can add for non-slip.
i have spray on liner (linex). non slip. but it was pricey.
$1400 or so, area covered, 22'x8', no including the gate surface (that part was standard)
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2011, 07:34 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 764 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
My trailer had aluminum deckplate - very nice - non slip.
Okay, I am considering just having the trailer manufacturer install aluminum tread plate (ATP) when they build it.

It doesn't rain much in California during the race season. How non-slip is it?

How durable is ATP? How thick should it be with a 3/4" plywood base with 16" O/C joists?

Pros? Cons?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 03-27-2011, 07:54 PM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alum tread plate (diamond plate) is very hard to kneel on, it kills you knees. Also if you do the ramp gate, you will need sunglasses when you walk in the trailer on a sunny day because of the glare and it’s not cheap.

Just do anti-slip industrial coating, you can also cover it later if you want to.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:06 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by David K.
Alum tread plate (diamond plate) is very hard to kneel on, it kills you knees. Also if you do the ramp gate, you will need sunglasses when you walk in the trailer on a sunny day because of the glare and it’s not cheap.

Just do anti-slip industrial coating, you can also cover it later if you want to.
You are probably right. I should just do Epoxy-Coat and be done with it. A lot cheaper too!

Scott
Old 03-27-2011, 10:14 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the reasons I went with paint is that it is much lighter. My 24ft is only rated at 7000lbs so keeping weight down was important to me.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:32 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

We did the floor in one of the trailers with a epoxy grey paint (marine grade I think). It took a few days to dry out completely. It was nice when done, cleaned up easily, wasn't slippery (but it never rains out here). We had another trailer that was coated from the factory. Really though there isn't much reason to coat other than aesthetics. The epoxy floor was pretty but not any more functional than the plywood in our other trailers, other than the ability to wipe oil up. Unless your car leaks a ton of oil who cares? I think the only reason to do it is because you like the way it looks, and it does look nice, but if you are on a budget it doesn't need to be a priority..
Old 03-28-2011, 11:06 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cory M
We did the floor in one of the trailers with a epoxy grey paint (marine grade I think). It took a few days to dry out completely. It was nice when done, cleaned up easily, wasn't slippery (but it never rains out here). We had another trailer that was coated from the factory. Really though there isn't much reason to coat other than aesthetics. The epoxy floor was pretty but not any more functional than the plywood in our other trailers, other than the ability to wipe oil up. Unless your car leaks a ton of oil who cares? I think the only reason to do it is because you like the way it looks, and it does look nice, but if you are on a budget it doesn't need to be a priority..
For me this is a big deal. I store my car in my trailer and little drips of oil happen. Could be alot of reason including... "Oh crap I need to fix that one" and having clean floor is good. I can wipe it up and then quicky see if I have nay new leaks I need to worry about. Plus it makes it look so much cleaner in there. I am very happy I painted my floor.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:05 AM
winders
Race Car

Well, once I picked up my trailer I had to make a decision. So I went with the Rustoleum 2-part epoxy in gray for garage floors.

I've included a picture of the results. It looks great and should last for a long time.

Thanks for the all the input!!

Scott
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2011, 10:18 AM
M758
Race Director

Nice!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:29 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty, clean, will not stay that way for long I bet :-)
Old 05-26-2011, 04:00 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice thanks for the pics Scott! Due to the weather, mine is still bare ply. This weekend is my first decent tow with it to Oregon Raceway Park. Pulled it to PIR a few weeks back just fine.

I have some more time in June so hoping to do mine then. Sounds like yours worked out well so I might just go the same route. Did you add any traction material or just the straight epoxy? Thinking of adding some if only on the ramp for the wet we frequently have here in the PacNW.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:50 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Two things about using epoxy:

1. Without anti-slip, it is like ice when even slightly damp. Totally dangerous and unacceptable IMHO.

2. The aluminum oxide anti-slip is also very sharp and can cut you up. How bad? Not sure but it's *probably* ok for this use (not so good in working garages). Another option is the "shark grip" stuff that you can get at paint stores for this purpose. I used that in my garage and you have to use a LOT of it and make sure it's well distributed else you get icy spots when wet. Smooth wet epoxy is crazy dangerous; trust me.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:31 PM
winders
Race Car

Eric (schwank),

I used a package of aluminum oxide in the second coat of epoxy paint. The floor is grippy but does not seem to hard on my skin. I would definitely use it for the whole floor.

One thing I should warn you about. The epoxy paint does not like the silicon caulk that CargoMate uses to seal the gap between the floor and baseboards. Pull that all at before you paint. You might even want to sand that area after you remove the caulk. Make sure get it all and don't leave any pieces behind on the floor either. I painted the baseboards with the epoxy paint. If I had to do it again, I think I would just get some gray enamel color matched to the epoxy paint.

I am not too worried about dampness anyway. I'm in California....

Scott

Last edited by winders; 05-27-2011 at 02:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Trailer Floor Covering...