Sponsored by:

Trailer Floor Covering...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:25 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 872 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
I haven't tried it, but I have heard a lot of guys using 2 part epoxy floor coating. Supposedly it soaks into the wood and provides a pretty durable surface. I would add a bottle of the sand mixture though for grip.
Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
^^^This

Use the stuff meant for garage floors. Tough, and tolerates brake fluid on it, and <$100. Just use old clothes! I've used it in 2 trailers.
Sterling Doc,

Do you remember the specific product you used?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 03-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my trailer with an unfinished floor as well. I wanted to Line-X the floor but $1200 was out of my price range. As mentioned above the rubber flooring is not the best option for a race car trailer especially on Sunday when you want to load up and don't want to wait a couple of hours for the tires to cool so they don't melt or stain the rubber. I chose to paint my floor with the 2 part epoxy concrete type paint that you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot. I got the gray type with the blue/black/gray speckles that you shake on after painting. I did one 4 foot section at a time with a roller on an extension handle and it really did a nice job. I also bought a couple of 4x8 pieces of 1/8" diamond plate and cut strips 12" wide for runners under the tires. secured to the floor with countersunk deck screws. Hot tires pick up lots of rocks and the diamond plate protects the floor. The paint is oil repellent and fairly durable. Have had no issues in two years.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:27 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
I just ordered a 24' enclosed trailer. It is coming with an unfinished 3/4" plywood floor. I would like to get some ideas from you folks on what I can do to cover the floor. I want to spend as little as possible yet still do the right thing.

I would like a surface that is oil and fuel proof or at least highly resistant. I would like it to provide adequate foot traction when wet. I would like it be cleanable with soap and water. I would like it to be durable and not crack when I drop something heavy on it. The trailer walls and ceiling are finished in white so I would prefer a grey floor color.

Yes, I know, that is asking a lot.

I am willing to look at options that include paint, Herculiner, rubber tiles, etc.

I will say that I really don't want to spend more than $500. Based on that, some kind of paint is probably my best option. But I am open to suggestions and advice for those with much more experience.

Thanks,

Scott
I used expoy based porch and patio paint. Gray color. Oil drops sit on the surface and wipe up easily. Very tough surface too athough it can scratch some. This is two coats. The only down side is that it gets slick when wet. My solution was to put a cloth mat at the entrace to the trailer to dry my feet every time a get in. I am very happy with it and painted the work bench in the trailer and at home with it.

I guess you could throw in the flakes they use in cheap garage floor paint in there too to crate texture when wet, but that will make it much hader to clean as dirt will get in there and by hard to clean.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Garylimey
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the idea's coming, I have to do my new trailer's floor and walls
Old 03-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sterling Doc,

Do you remember the specific product you used?

Thanks,

Scott
No, just what they had at Menards. Sounds like the same stuff Joe used above -looks the same. Can't beat it for the price.
I actually took diamond plate out of one trailer, and put this in. Thick stuff - saved about 250lbs, and at the time, wash pushing the limtis of of my vehicles tow rating. I recoat about once every 3 years, depending on use (I race 8-9 weekends/year).
Old 03-21-2011, 01:35 PM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my dad's enclosed trailer he bought a roll of corrugated rubber matting for sams club for a little over $100. It fits the whole length of the trailer. All we had to do was roll it out, cut around the wheel boxes. We secured it down my removing the molding on the floor and then fastening it over the top. It looks like it came from the trailer manufacturer and is really durable.

Steve
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2011, 04:55 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Line-X would be perfect and likely the most cost effective.
Got that Line-X quote. $11.95 a sq-ft for light gray.

I calculated that my 24' trailer has, including floor, baseboards, and rear door has 258 sq-ft of surface to cover. That's $3,083.10!!!!

Cost effective?

Scott
Old 03-21-2011, 05:59 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Got that Line-X quote. $11.95 a sq-ft for light gray.

I calculated that my 24' trailer has, including floor, baseboards, and rear door has 258 sq-ft of surface to cover. That's $3,083.10!!!!

Cost effective?

Scott
To put it in perspective, my entire 24ft trailer cost only bit more than that.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:13 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by M758
To put it in perspective, my entire 24ft trailer cost only bit more than that [3,083.10].
Joe,

I laughed when I saw the quote. I could probably get the wood floor replaced 5 times for that kind of money.

Needless to say I am looking at other options!!

Scott
Old 03-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just wait... There is some VERY cool stuff going to be introduced soon. Want durable, choice of colors, even float a logo in it (Porsche, Company, pic of the wife). On short term horizon...
Old 03-21-2011, 06:58 PM
DC5Chick06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Laminate is likely the cheapest.

I would just do Thompson's water seal.

Most people don't do anything.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 PM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Line-X
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2011, 05:39 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by David K.
Line-X
I am sure Line-X is great. But, as has been pointed out, it is cost prohibitive!!

Scott
Old 03-27-2011, 05:40 AM
winders
Race Car

I came across this stuff today:

http://www.epoxy-coat.com/

It is designed to work on wood or concrete.

Scott

Quick Reply: Trailer Floor Covering...