Sponsored by:

How do double adjustable shocks work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 05:52 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Ohlins and Penske shocks will do all three forms of valving. If you need stuff rebuilt or want a real custom shock, talk to Angelo at Anze http://www.anzesuspension.com.
so just to finally sort if out in my head - ohlin and penske can literally install whatever valving type one wants for each of 2-3-4 controllable adjustable valves?

and JRZ &moton cannot and provide only one single type (progressive?) by default in any of product lines they make, right?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:21 PM
the90
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regressive is the latest offering from Penske; if you take a look at their site I believe they have an article from Racecar Engineering available for download. If you look at the dyno graph, you'll see why it's called regressive....it appears to be some sort of elaborate blow-off valving. It is not the same as digressive damping, where the damping coefficient decreases as shaft velocity increases. Road car dampers do this to improve 'harshness', but at the expense of some hub mode control.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:14 PM
the90
Instructor

Larry,

Dampers dissipate kinetic energy as heat; they work as a function of velocity (while springs exert a force as a function of displacement). This is true of a pure 'viscous' damper, which exerts a force in proportion to and in opposition to the velocity of an applied force. (As differentiated, for example, by 'coulomb damping', where the damping force is always present, the magnitude of the force is constant.)
Old 03-11-2011, 12:47 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 922 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
so just to finally sort if out in my head - ohlin and penske can literally install whatever valving type one wants for each of 2-3-4 controllable adjustable valves?

and JRZ &moton cannot and provide only one single type (progressive?) by default in any of product lines they make, right?
I don't know the other brands well, but it is done with the piston and shims, not the valves. The valves only control the initial movement before there is enough force to open the shims on the piston. It's the piston and shims that determine the overall shock behavior, not the valves.

Check out http://www.amfmotorsports.com/ohlinsporworks.htm. It explains how the system works pretty well.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:15 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I don't know the other brands well, but it is done with the piston and shims, not the valves. The valves only control the initial movement before there is enough force to open the shims on the piston. It's the piston and shims that determine the overall shock behavior, not the valves.

Check out http://www.amfmotorsports.com/ohlinsporworks.htm. It explains how the system works pretty well.
Thanks Matt, now i understand how this works. its amazing how far this technology went, i never thought a simple damper would get to be so complicated tech.

Regards, Paul.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:15 PM
the90
Instructor

Shim stack build and the shape of the piston are the determining factors in damper velocity vs force profile...shim stacks are noted for being non-linear, and typically involve a fair amount of trial/error. Hence the use of spool valves on the high-dollar units.... The shim stack and the amount of dish-in built into the piston determine how digressive the shock will be.

Quick Reply: How do double adjustable shocks work?