M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

update?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:36 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I had a great time battling Ron and Steve's 944s in my '73 911. Poor Gary blew an oil line and did not race.

We went out on a drying track on sliclks (most of us...) then it started raining half way through the race. The low power / awd/ fwd cars then had an advantage that we could not overcome, but it was a blast anyway. Steve had only 4th gear but passed me somehow, great driving though I was catching him towards the end and finished 1-2 seconds behind him.

I have a vintage race here tomorrow and Sunday, going to be TIRED Sunday night.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:31 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Hopefully the weather improves for you guys tomorrow.

Nothing like all wheel and front drive on a wet track.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:00 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It was a very interesting event, made way more fun as we had cameras pointed at us all day! Weather was really challenging, on and off, and I put myself way behind the 8-ball; getting set of tires mounted in town when the first qualifier went off, otherwise I'm hoping that Mike would say it was fun battling with Ron, Steve AND Frank! I came in for the last chance hardship qualifier and just squeaked into the final by a hair!
Poor Saville ran three laps in practice and his car went up in smoke, I was sure he'd blown a motor but it turned out just to be a line, he still hung with us for the whole day and deservedly won the hardship award.
The format was weird to me, with all of this handicapping, I never knew where I stood and trying to figure it out was challenging, but it became clear that just running hard would still be the way to win it.
In the final, they sent us out as a staggered start, slow cars first, some ran a lap or two before we were released, and then we went after them, knowing that still faster cars were behind us. Ron and I ran nose to tail as Katz disappeared and the clouds closed in. We were catching and unlapping ourselves when the sprinkles started, I made my move to put Ron behind me and then you really had to adapt to the changing conditions as the track went full wet and none of us were on rains. The pace slowed and I was begging for the checker, eventually it came and not one of us went off or had any incidents, in fact; all weekend, a fantastic testament, I thought.
Spriits were very high afterwards, and the talk was of everyone wanting to do this again.
In the end, it was a day for the ****boxes (sorry guys), as the Lemon car won it, Barton hanging SO tough to pull it out, and Reid coming second (in his Probe!). Third went to Wilzig (who I passed?). Katz jammed in 4th gear or I think he was on the charge to win it, and were it not for the weather, Mcintosh was on a tear and had everyone's attention, he got Hard Charger award for it.
Kudos to Ken Stadt and the whole Casella crew for staging a super one-day event!
Let's do it again!
Old 05-21-2011, 09:59 AM
d15b7
Racer

hey guys!

i'd agree with Gums assessment for the most part -- with the exception of the finishing positions!! LOL. I have the final results sheet (and the Gold Cup and prize money to prove it!). results as follows:
1 Todd Reid
2 Alan Wilzig
3 Scott Barton
4 Sean Curran
5 Jon Baker
6 Steve Katz
7 Mike Piera
8 Peter McIntosh
9 Spencer Anderson
10 Frank Celenza
11 Ron Cohn
12 Jonathan Vasquez
13 Zephyr Belski

The fastest raw driver by far was Schwartz; he was FLYING!!!! i believe he declined to do the final race due to conditions. there was also a very fast black modern Porsche (996 I think?) and a very fast Cayman (white in color). I don't believe either was in the final race though.

as was said, in the final race, track started wet, then dried somewhat, then last portion of the race it was really raining HARD. i pressed 105% from the instant they said 'Go!'. there was only one slower classed car in front of me (my car is classed PTE; i am dynoed at 163 hp, and weigh 2700 lbs; Ford Probe GT). i caught and passed the slower car by about lap 5 or 6; the conditions were wet going to drying line at that point; every single corner you had to evaluate the track and 'feel' it out because it was getting faster every second; i had gone out on my dry tires (as had most of the field); car was constantly slithering around, but i kept it right up on the edge and was pushing very hard (much harder than i did in the qualifying race). i eventually got down to within exactly 1 second of my qualifying time (hair raising going that fast during that condition!). as we got towards the 3/4 point, it sprinkled for a lap (track started to degrade immediately) and then full on rain. i knew that Alan in the AWD Subaru grand am car was on full wets and that he'd be coming RIGHT NOW!!! i pushed at 100% for the rest of the race, catching the Corvette and having him spin right in front of me at the left hander after the bridge (he did an amazing job of not going off somehow!!). i finished the race skating around (track was fully soaked and puddled up). Alan was behind me and charging, but was a 39.7 sec difference.

as was said, i believe this is the toughest kind of race to run -- changing conditions every damn second of the race; evaluating the track and testing every corner ever time through and pushing it to the edge was the key. Also, i am EXTREMELY comfortable racing the Probe in any condition; I've had it forever, and know it intimately, like an old pair of jeans. i had a GREAT time with all you guys, and i thought the format was fun and exciting, and would defintely like to participate again! i hope it makes it onto TV sometime in the near future!

Todd
ReidSpeed
Old 05-21-2011, 11:16 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Sorry to blow the recap, with the wrong podium order there, duh; you'll recall my filling your victory cup with bubbly, Todd, please accept apologies! Just shows that I still don't get it!
In hindsight though, I'm thinking that this formula just may be the ticket for a "run watcha brung" type event, we all came from different classes and went at it with abandon!
Just as in F1, the rain through a real curve ball into it, I'd love to try it again!
Old 05-22-2011, 10:06 AM
d15b7
Racer

no problem Frank!

the trophy ceremony thing was all a bit of a blur for me too!

I really liked the format too, and will definitely attend the next one!!!! I even thought it was amazing during the dry qualifying race seeing the super fast cars approaching -- Shwartz and the Vette (most especially) but also the black 996 and the white Cayman S BLEW past me -- i felt like i was running at Lemans in the old days in an MG with a 917 passing!!! I thought that was another facet of the race; you had to watch your mirrors for uber fast traffic coming up from behind (way behind. like, i mean even half way down the straight if that 815 car was leaving the Lightbulb, he could reach me by the brakezone and pass on the inside!!!!). In most of the races I run, they group the small bore cars together so i never get to experience that sort of difference in performance. I enjoyed the added challenge!

Todd
ReidSpeed
Old 05-22-2011, 01:51 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

We also had about as hard a race as can happen, when you consider the conditions: Out on a drying track, then 2 or 3 laps on a dry track, then sprinkling and tire tracks and then the full deluge.
We had to constantly adapt to conditions, there was no settling in. Really challenging stuff!
Old 05-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 151 Posts

Hey great racing with all of you guys. I thought I was going to win some money until about halfway through when I only had 4th gear in my transmission and no limited slip. I had to go back to power as I was turning in to try and help the bogging in the slow turns . I thought about coming in to save whatever is left of the transmission but Noel Hall aka SMOKEY worked so hard to get the car ready for the event I couldn't let him down . He is amazing (i hope its just linkage issues)

Mike always great to race with you . You and I race in the the same mind set. (Race hard but very clean and leave room for each other) I think we are a dying breed. In my last couple of races guys have no clue what real racing is about. They feel chopping and blocking is how to race. They have no clue about the real art of it.
And yes Frank you always run clean and you are part of the dying breed . I begged you to bring the tires in at 8am . By the way that was some professional fuel er you had at the event. I hope somebody filmed it ( then the show might get a NC-17 or strong R rating )

Todd great job you are always a class act and I enjoy racing with you

Gary sorry about that damn hose. We need to get you a rabbits foot for the next event

I thought the handicap system was great and it was fun competing against every class. The whole group of drivers in this race were top notch.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:24 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Stevie-Boy,
a herculian effort on your part, just to rebuild and be there! You know I was pulling for you all week long...
When we finally got on track together, I watched you just pull away around the bowl and then never saw you again, some things just never change! But, if you and Ron qualified faster than me (I assume) then how come I started behind you? I tried to pick Ron off at the blend line!
Thanks for the kind words, you know that I pride myself in running error free; never put a wheel wrong, and being fair and safe to others. Just as you would.
As for my fueler, glad you like her, also glad I married her!
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Frankie thanks for my new screen saver in all honesty she is an amazing girl and you you guys are great together

They based the starting order in class for the final race on the first qualifying race fastest lap time. Since unfortunately you didn't make it you started last in class.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Bull993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone who made this possible and all the particpants for a fun Friday. It was my first time at NJMP and it was a blast. All of you were very nice and I appreciated the friendships made and hopefully look forward to another event in the future. Congratualtions Todd and all the brave souls who battled it out in very tough changing conditions. Sorry I bailed out on the final race, but didn't want to go out on slicks and ball the car up. I am at the Glen next weekend and Hyperfest in three weeks so I want a fighting chance. Thanks again everyone.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Derek great meeting you . Noel H. speaks the world of you and I can see why great job
Old 05-23-2011, 04:02 PM
d15b7
Racer

Derek --- you were, as the Hyper-festers like to say -- 'Ballin' the F out!' in that second race; i was standing near the end of the straight watching, and holy crappppp were you coming in fast and taking that corner!!!!!!! what kind of lap times was that? i didn't time any laps, and you left the rest of the field in your dust, and lapped everything but the 996 and the Cayman, right?

I'll be seeing you at Hfest soon! there's 12 in PTE i think already; it's gonna be a tough battle this time. (i guess i should hope for rain! haha).

Todd
#11 NASA PTE ReidSpeedInc.com Ford Probe GT
2011 Race Track Combat Champion
Old 05-23-2011, 04:13 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Derek was only on the run because he stood us up for dinner the night before!
What's the date on Hyperfest, I've got a big lull in the summer....

Quick Reply: Race Track Combat