Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fritz's Track Escapades

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like the 20 lap was a high 20 and there's a 21 lap in the vid so I'll just wait until I break 20 for the next vid at SPR

I think the car has it easy but the driver just needs to smooth out the edges and keep the go pedal down longer.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

The RS is gone but I bought a nice track prepped cayman which like the RS has lots of rear grip and was a blast to drive but it's pushing a lot so if I continue tracking it I'll back away from the staggered tire setup.

If you want a FAST cayman see the for sale section for details

Here's two vids from the NASA Hyperfest event last weekend, most of the laps are 25,26 or 27 on some pretty old 888s (tired of driving on this tire LOL):

Old 06-18-2012, 07:35 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice wheelin' Fritz. So is this your replacement for the 7?

Hey, which Racetech seat do you have? I need to replace my old seat and the 4119HRW looks like it may be a possibility. Just gotta find one to sit in now...
Old 06-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CCA
Nice wheelin' Fritz. So is this your replacement for the 7?

Hey, which Racetech seat do you have? I need to replace my old seat and the 4119HRW looks like it may be a possibility. Just gotta find one to sit in now...
Thanks!

Keeping the 7 but it was hit so it's down for a bit and I bought the Cayman 3 months ago and it's been sitting on my trailer so with the FD on the mend this was good opportunity to give the Cayman a try.

I love the racetech seats. I'm probably driving with the BMW tarheel club in a couple weeks on the VIR N course so if you make it to that one come check out the seat.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:18 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
Thanks!

Keeping the 7 but it was hit so it's down for a bit and I bought the Cayman 3 months ago and it's been sitting on my trailer so with the FD on the mend this was good opportunity to give the Cayman a try.

I love the racetech seats. I'm probably driving with the BMW tarheel club in a couple weeks on the VIR N course so if you make it to that one come check out the seat.
Yeah, I saw the damage at FSR. Are they able to straighten the frame?

I was going to do Chin Jul 2-3, but work killed that. Can't run with BMW since I don't have a passenger seat. Not sure when/where my next will be... When you get the chance verify which seat you have. If it's the 4119, I may swing down to check it out.

Chris
Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fritz - been awhile! Looks like you're having tons of fun in the Cayman.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
Fritz - been awhile! Looks like you're having tons of fun in the Cayman.
Alex,
It's a capable car for sure

Probably 3 or 4 seconds off the pace of a GT3 (well maybe 5 seconds off the pace of your old GT3 hehe) which isn't too bad. I sure wish the timing had worked out better so I could of snagged yours. I'm still on the look out for a nicely prepped 996 GT3 but need to unload the Cayman but it might grow on me and I'll just drop a 3.8 in it, add a big wing, a splitter and then go big game hunting

The FD just breezed a 2.03 (on c51s) at VIR so that car could be pretty nasty once I get a cage in it and sort out a few more hiccups.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:31 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No doubt. I've always wanted a Cayman track car. Seems they would be like a 911 with a little more balance. If you ever build it I might have to rent it from you for a session.

I miss my old car a little myself! But, new one is almost done! Just went by the shop today and 99% of the fabricating is complete. Just left to wire it all up and I should hopefully have it out at VIR for Tarheel BMW event (in case you're thinking of doing that one!).
Old 06-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
No doubt. I've always wanted a Cayman track car. Seems they would be like a 911 with a little more balance. If you ever build it I might have to rent it from you for a session.

I miss my old car a little myself! But, new one is almost done! Just went by the shop today and 99% of the fabricating is complete. Just left to wire it all up and I should hopefully have it out at VIR for Tarheel BMW event (in case you're thinking of doing that one!).
I understand the new car is a monster so any memory of the GT3 will likely get erased very soon.

Hopefully you'll have it ready in time so if you do and are going to the BMW event please let me know and I'll try to make. It's currently something I'm already considering for sure.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:40 PM
bxfe
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Gentlemen: for the sake of accuracy please note that according to the published technical information for the 997.1 GT3 you can completely turn off the electronic aids.

I have driven a 7.1 GT3 with the traction control off and never felt that it came back on, even at extreme angles ..

Traction Control/ABS

In “Traction Control” (TC), the 911 GT3 is provided for the first time with a system to promote driving stability during acceleration. This system comes as standard and is used in a similar manner on the Carrera GT. It incorporates the following features:
• ABD (automatic brake differential)
• ASR (anti-slip regulation) including MSR (engine drag torque control)

In conjunction with the familiar anti-lock brake system (ABS) and the Traction Control (TC) system tuned specifically for the new 911 GT3, the latter now possesses a system to promote driving stability during both braking and accelerating. TC supports straight-line stability and overall driving stability in particular in adverse weather conditions such as rain or when varying levels of grip apply on the road surface. When drive wheels begin to spin, the automatic brake differential function (ABD) first of all brakes the wheel with a higher level of slip. If both wheels are spinning, ASR will intervene within fractions of a second. The purpose of the anti-slip regulation (ASR) function is to prevent excess wheel slip on the drive wheels in order to increase cornering traction at the rear axle. The ASR function is activated when accelerating across the entire speed range. As a result of intervention in the engine control system, the engine power is decreased via a reduction in torque, acceleration and ignition angle. When ASR is activated, the relevant information light lights up on the instrument cluster. This yellow information light displays a warning triangle to indicate that the adhesion limit has been reached. Engine drag torque control (MSR) is a function within ASR. This function takes effect, for example, when there is a risk of a loss of lateral stability at the rear axle after a downshift on a slippery surface due to rear wheels locking as a result of engine drag torque. In such a situation, MSR can quickly open the throttle by demanding more power from the engine management system, thereby restoring driving stability.

SPORT / TC OFF
To enable the car’s driving dynamics to be increased according to individual needs, the standard “SPORT” button for Traction Control on the centre console enables a sporty set-up with delayed intervention by the ABD, ASR and MSR functions or, alternatively, the entire system can be switched off via the “TC OFF” button. “TC OFF” appears on the instrument cluster display when the system is switched off.
Have autocrossed my new (to me) 07 GT3 about 6 times and for the first time yesterday, with TC OFF, something intervened in a fast slalom where I'd pitched the car fairly aggressively. It was definitely throttle (not brakes) as it reduced power thru the rest of the run.
That seems to confirm the "OFF is not fully OFF" theory.
Last run, I turned TC OFF and Sport On..........seemed to fix it.
Opinions? Could there be something else going on?
Old 09-11-2016, 06:55 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

Sounds bout right for PSM in that era.

Quick Reply: Fritz's Track Escapades