Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fritz's Track Escapades

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Silly question but you did say it was a new car... Are you turning off both stages ?

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
In my book if I'm not throttle steering I'm not pushing hard enough so yep the rear end is sliding a lot. I also use trailing throttle over steer for just about all the small corners. Basically I over drive but hey it's fun and fast for a lap or two, I'm a time trial guy However TC is turned off so hopefully when it's turned off it's really OFF.

Yep braking is the best way to warm up your tires and at 160 back and 150 front those puppies are plenty warm.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:39 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having driven and instructed in a 997 GT3 I agree with Viking that there is still active stability engaged on the car even with the initial "off" settings.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Having driven and instructed in a 997 GT3 I agree with Viking that there is still active stability engaged on the car even with the initial "off" settings.
The only thing I'm doing is pushing in the button on the console so if there's another step I need to take to FULLY turn OFF the traction control do tell. TIA for the help and advice

It's 2007 RS.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Default Video On You Tube

As you'll see in the vid I still have some work to do driving this beast but I'll get there in due time so please give me a break in that department hehe

There was an instructor clinic that weekend which made it really crowded in our group so I wasn't able to push the car for lap times but still had a super good time trying to get a handle on the car, giving people rides etc.....

See vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN6pNXmaQDo

I'll get the exterior brightness thing figured out so the next vid should be easier to watch and the annoying vibration is a mounting problem so I'll fix that as well.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:53 PM
karmx7
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice vid Frtz! It looks like you're getting very comfortable with the different handling dynamics of a rear engine car. You've done two track events already and we just had some recent snow out here, it seems that spring is still a solid 2 months away....

I'm guessing that you have the camera running in the default setting (center weighted average metering). You will want to change it to spot metering mode which will change the exposure to optimize the view through the windshield.

Keith
Old 03-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

The only thing I'm doing is pushing in the button on the console so if there's another step I need to take to FULLY turn OFF the traction control do tell. TIA for the help and advice

It's 2007 RS.
Originally Posted by karmx7
Nice vid Frtz! It looks like you're getting very comfortable with the different handling dynamics of a rear engine car. You've done two track events already and we just had some recent snow out here, it seems that spring is still a solid 2 months away....

I'm guessing that you have the camera running in the default setting (center weighted average metering). You will want to change it to spot metering mode which will change the exposure to optimize the view through the windshield.

Keith
Thanks Keith

I'll reset the go pro and get that straight. I also noticed you can record at a 1120 resolution and mine is set at 720. Have you used the higher resolution and if so does it upload well?

I think the 997 is a toss it at the corner car which is how I like to drive or that's just how I like to drive LOL. Basically release the brake with a little extra followed by a quick slide to get it pointed and nail the gas. I'm getting smoother but clearly need some seat time. I found 6th gear several times on the down shift from 5th to 4th which only escalated my problems of finding 3rd. That's a tuff gear to deal with both up and down.

PS any thoughts on turning of the stage II traction control or does that even apply to the 997.1 car?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:15 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fritz, your having too much fun with the car. Time to leave the keys in it overnight................ (where you leave would be nice info too).

Check with a race shop on the full delete mode for the new 7GT3. The system was developed to be pretty crafty and not slow the car, but actually aid the driver in going faster. I have sat shot gun in one while the car did some amazing saves which in a 6GT3 would have been game over.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
Fritz, your having too much fun with the car. Time to leave the keys in it overnight................ (where you leave would be nice info too).

Check with a race shop on the full delete mode for the new 7GT3. The system was developed to be pretty crafty and not slow the car, but actually aid the driver in going faster. I have sat shot gun in one while the car did some amazing saves which in a 6GT3 would have been game over.
Not too hard to see that big smile under my helmet is it.

Since Fiona arrived on Valentines day I've already put 1200 miles on her so it's a hot and heavy romance for sure

I'll check with Werkstatt about the mystery TC in the 997s and see what should be done.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:13 PM
karmx7
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Fritz Flynn Quote:
I'll reset the go pro and get that straight. I also noticed you can record at a 1120 resolution and mine is set at 720. Have you used the higher resolution and if so does it upload well?
I ran mine in the r5 setting and liked the way it came out. I haven't tried uploading images from it but I wouldn't think there would be issues with that. The higher resolution narrows the field of view a bit (so you'll see more of the view through the windscreen).

Interesting about the traction control stuff button, looks like I'll have to do some searching in the archives to understand this as I thought the button really did turn it off....

Keith
Old 03-03-2011, 12:28 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, sorry for not replying sooner.
I had thought it was a new (2010 GT3), but it being a 2007 explains the problem you are having even easier.

The 2007 models have 1 traction control/PSM button the only problem is that it does not completely turn off the system. The way the system is set up when you switch it off the system still is hiding waiting to assist you when the rear of the car slides too much. When this happens it applies the rear brakes individually accordingly to help bring the rear back if you will. If you are pushing the car, and sliding it, the brakes are applying causing the large tire psi increase and will also cause a premature wear of your rear brake pads. Watch them closely and you will notice that they will be wearing 2 to 1 over the front brake pads. There can be a few things you can do to prevent this but the best thing would be to learn how to drive it with out the sliding rear.

FYI - On the 2010 model GT3's they came with 2 switches to turn off the systems more completely.

Hope all this makes sense,
Viking

It's 2007 RS.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:52 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Pretty hard to see for sure but the steering wheel looks as if it's out of alignment with straight ahead just judging by your hands. Might be an optical illusion. Secondly it will be interesting to see how long you keep a halo seat in there if this is a dual purpose car. I bought one first time as a road/race seat and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Too limiting on the street by far IMHO. Nice car though for sure and certain.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Pretty hard to see for sure but the steering wheel looks as if it's out of alignment with straight ahead just judging by your hands. Might be an optical illusion. Secondly it will be interesting to see how long you keep a halo seat in there if this is a dual purpose car. I bought one first time as a road/race seat and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Too limiting on the street by far IMHO. Nice car though for sure and certain.
The custom rails moved the seat a little to the right which is fine by me because of the narrow foot well but the wheel itself isn't off center by more than 1/4 inch when the wheels are pointed straight.

The Halo seat is already out because it doesn't fit the sliding rails very well. If it goes back in it will have to be on non sliding custom rails that will make getting in and out a real PIA.

I need some passenger OEM rails so if anyone has some hook a brother up

I'm also considering selling that beautiful club sport front half cage so if anyone is interested please let me know.

PS Keith the SPGs will be going in the GT3 and those stock seats are just lovely. You really know how to care for things. Your wife is a lucky women
Old 03-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Ok, sorry for not replying sooner.
I had thought it was a new (2010 GT3), but it being a 2007 explains the problem you are having even easier.

The 2007 models have 1 traction control/PSM button the only problem is that it does not completely turn off the system. The way the system is set up when you switch it off the system still is hiding waiting to assist you when the rear of the car slides too much. When this happens it applies the rear brakes individually accordingly to help bring the rear back if you will. If you are pushing the car, and sliding it, the brakes are applying causing the large tire psi increase and will also cause a premature wear of your rear brake pads. Watch them closely and you will notice that they will be wearing 2 to 1 over the front brake pads. There can be a few things you can do to prevent this but the best thing would be to learn how to drive it with out the sliding rear.

FYI - On the 2010 model GT3's they came with 2 switches to turn off the systems more completely.

Hope all this makes sense,
Viking
It makes sense but it's also completely crazy that you can't turn off the TC

Looks like I'll be going through rear tires and brakes because I've never learned to control my driving that's like asking a race horse to trot
Old 03-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Fritz, I went through the same issues with the Sparco line of products with my car. I might have one extra Recaro slider from my 993 that would probably work for you. Let me check my parts bucket tonight. The side mounts should be at your place today

Keep the front half cage bubba...
Old 03-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paddy
Fritz, I went through the same issues with the Sparco line of products with my car. I might have one extra Recaro slider from my 993 that would probably work for you. Let me check my parts bucket tonight. The side mounts should be at your place today

Keep the front half cage bubba...
Side mounts came in, thanks for those. Let me know on the rails

Both Morgen and Erin will ride in this car on the street and you DO NOT want that cage in if you happen to hit something hard with loose belts and no helmet.

Of course in a roll a full cage could come in handy so leaving it in is absolutely the thing to do for track use.

Quick Reply: Fritz's Track Escapades