Sponsored by:

Fritz's Track Escapades

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Hard to be sure but it looks like some of your buddys are wearing slicks too? That would account for them being quicker (if that's happening?).
Ryan and I are running on R6s but a 997.1 RS doesn't have a chance of catching a .2 if both drivers are fairly equal.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:59 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Just an assumption on my part but ....... any chance you are sliding the tail around a little ? On the GT3's the rear brakes can be engaged as part of the TC/PSM to help keep you from sliding. If you are sliding it, or driving to the point where the rear is stepping out then the cars electronics may be trying to help you out, by adding rear brake they are causing a lot of extra heat to be generated into the tire thus the more increease in the tire pressure.
FYI - Braking generates heat in a tire more than anything else you can do.

If this is in fact what is happening then you will need to dial it back so you don't slide the car and then you should see the rear tire pressure increase at a more regular rate.

Hope it helps,
Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
In my book if I'm not throttle steering I'm not pushing hard enough so yep the rear end is sliding a lot. I also use trailing throttle over steer for just about all the small corners. Basically I over drive but hey it's fun and fast for a lap or two, I'm a time trial guy However TC is turned off so hopefully when it's turned off it's really OFF.

Yep braking is the best way to warm up your tires and at 160 back and 150 front those puppies are plenty warm.
Silly question but you did say it was a new car... Are you turning off both stages ?
Originally Posted by bobt993
Having driven and instructed in a 997 GT3 I agree with Viking that there is still active stability engaged on the car even with the initial "off" settings.
The only thing I'm doing is pushing in the button on the console so if there's another step I need to take to FULLY turn OFF the traction control do tell. TIA for the help and advice

It's 2007 RS.
Ok, sorry for not replying sooner.
I had thought it was a new (2010 GT3), but it being a 2007 explains the problem you are having even easier.

The 2007 models have 1 traction control/PSM button the only problem is that it does not completely turn off the system. The way the system is set up when you switch it off the system still is hiding waiting to assist you when the rear of the car slides too much. When this happens it applies the rear brakes individually accordingly to help bring the rear back if you will. If you are pushing the car, and sliding it, the brakes are applying causing the large tire psi increase and will also cause a premature wear of your rear brake pads. Watch them closely and you will notice that they will be wearing 2 to 1 over the front brake pads. There can be a few things you can do to prevent this but the best thing would be to learn how to drive it with out the sliding rear.

FYI - On the 2010 model GT3's they came with 2 switches to turn off the systems more completely.

Hope all this makes sense,
Viking
It makes sense but it's also completely crazy that you can't turn off the TC

Looks like I'll be going through rear tires and brakes because I've never learned to control my driving that's like asking a race horse to trot

Gentlemen: for the sake of accuracy please note that according to the published technical information for the 997.1 GT3 you can completely turn off the electronic aids.

I have driven a 7.1 GT3 with the traction control off and never felt that it came back on, even at extreme angles ..

Traction Control/ABS

In “Traction Control” (TC), the 911 GT3 is provided for the first time with a system to promote driving stability during acceleration. This system comes as standard and is used in a similar manner on the Carrera GT. It incorporates the following features:
• ABD (automatic brake differential)
• ASR (anti-slip regulation) including MSR (engine drag torque control)

In conjunction with the familiar anti-lock brake system (ABS) and the Traction Control (TC) system tuned specifically for the new 911 GT3, the latter now possesses a system to promote driving stability during both braking and accelerating. TC supports straight-line stability and overall driving stability in particular in adverse weather conditions such as rain or when varying levels of grip apply on the road surface. When drive wheels begin to spin, the automatic brake differential function (ABD) first of all brakes the wheel with a higher level of slip. If both wheels are spinning, ASR will intervene within fractions of a second. The purpose of the anti-slip regulation (ASR) function is to prevent excess wheel slip on the drive wheels in order to increase cornering traction at the rear axle. The ASR function is activated when accelerating across the entire speed range. As a result of intervention in the engine control system, the engine power is decreased via a reduction in torque, acceleration and ignition angle. When ASR is activated, the relevant information light lights up on the instrument cluster. This yellow information light displays a warning triangle to indicate that the adhesion limit has been reached. Engine drag torque control (MSR) is a function within ASR. This function takes effect, for example, when there is a risk of a loss of lateral stability at the rear axle after a downshift on a slippery surface due to rear wheels locking as a result of engine drag torque. In such a situation, MSR can quickly open the throttle by demanding more power from the engine management system, thereby restoring driving stability.

SPORT / TC OFF
To enable the car’s driving dynamics to be increased according to individual needs, the standard “SPORT” button for Traction Control on the centre console enables a sporty set-up with delayed intervention by the ABD, ASR and MSR functions or, alternatively, the entire system can be switched off via the “TC OFF” button. “TC OFF” appears on the instrument cluster display when the system is switched off.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Gentlemen: for the sake of accuracy please note that according to the published technical information for the 997.1 GT3 you can completely turn off the electronic aids.
There's plenty of video of people drifting GT3's far beyond any point where SC/TC/PSM would intervene. I'd take that mean the system is fully defeated, not waiting for an ABS event or other system to sound the "all hands."
Old 05-31-2011, 11:24 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
There's plenty of video of people drifting GT3's far beyond any point where SC/TC/PSM would intervene. I'd take that mean the system is fully defeated, not waiting for an ABS event or other system to sound the "all hands."
Some folks had suggested the TC was coming on because the rear tires were over inflating but that was because the rear toe was off.

If I forget to turn off the TC I notice in the 1st corner and everything feels normal after turning it off so from what I can tell it's completely off but as mentioned above in the 997 GT3 some people in the KNOW say it can't be COMPLETELY turned off.

The rear pads and rotors wear much slower than the fronts so I also don't think TC is doing much even if there's some ghost of a TC remaining when it's turned off.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 755 Posts

As far as I can tell off is completely off. I spun GT3.1 180 degrees at 100Mph and nothing was there to help me. I've been behind and gotten GT3 very sideways plenty of times. Off is off.

I had the RS.2 crossed up plenty sideways too and never felt anything. IMHO off is completely off untill you turn it on by button or restart the car.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:11 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I am just catching up to these threads

Niiiice driving Fritz, very fun to watch, not to mention the guitar solo

Next up Hurricane region Master driving sessions in June
Old 06-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FTS
I am just catching up to these threads

Niiiice driving Fritz, very fun to watch, not to mention the guitar solo

Next up Hurricane region Master driving sessions in June
Thanks!

Like the rest of us J is getting older but he still ROCKS http://www.picsnow.us/photo-j-mascis.html

Have fun on the south course I'm planning to drive it with FSR this fall
Old 08-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Default PCA Potomac SPR Aug 2011

The track time will be soon forgotten but the event will forever linger in my memory as cursed

Just could not get out of town. Starts with one of those chaotic busy headache variety work days and I finally leave and as soon as I step out of the truck in my driveway I realize my tow straps are back on my other trailer at work holding down my FD so back to work I go. Now back at home with straps in hand I find the car is a PIA to load on the open trailer and I'm about to have a tantrum and just say eff it but after tall drink a water I'm refreshed and get it loaded without too much trouble. I finally leave at 5:30 (no possible chance of dropping the car early and going to tech) and there's a serious accident on 81 (40 minute delay).

Finally arrive at the hotel and the poo is still raining down, the computer doesn't show my reservation but thankfully it's there but under Friday/Sat not Th,fri,Sat so no fist pounding required. Go up to the room and you guessed it, my key code doesn't work.........MAN!!! SOME DAYS!!!

Arrive at the track and don't have time to get the car through inspection and because I don't drive often w/ PCA I don't even realize instructors have other instructors tech or PEER TECH so tech wasn't even an issue. NOW is where I really step in the DOODIE. SOOO I go to the chief tech inspector and he notices my harness are out of date (1/2 the people at the event probably had harnesses out of date) so I spend the morning buying and trying two different harness from OG (on site track store) but both will be a major PIA to install so end up borrowing some from "Bret" RP Performance (track side race shop) who's been doing me all kinds of favors for 10 plus years (great friend to have).

Harness fiasco and ball busting HPDE tech insp behind me along with the morning track sessions I'm finally able to exercise Fiona but it's my 1st time at SPR, I'm on old 888s and the track isn't in the best shape so I'm not feeling too groovy, it's basically a blown day at the track but hey my student was good so I'm feeling thankful for that

The next day I get some driving instruction from Rmag and things start coming together so I decide to throw the HOOS on and WOW the car jumps off the mat and starts kicking some *** but it doesn't last too long because I have a very fast leak in the R rear tire combined with RAIN so I pack it in and call it busted weekend.

Here's a vid:

My buddy in the .2 GT3 that passes me into t5 is super fast but he was on 888s and the car was pushing so bad I actually started laughing out loud to myself while following him around the carousel.

I'll post up a another vid from the same session running a 1.20 lap which isn't horrible but also not as fast as I'd hoped. I think under better track conditions and a tire that can hold air the car has low 19 or 18. Didn't notice much problem in the turns but braking was not good, when I came in the pressure front was 35 rear 25.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:20 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fritz - these are the weekend that you look back and realize - it was still fun. Been there, changing radiators with 20 minutes before the race in 110 degree heat at Road Atlanta, rooms not showing up. This is what separates a real junkie from a fake one!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
Fritz - these are the weekend that you look back and realize - it was still fun. Been there, changing radiators with 20 minutes before the race in 110 degree heat at Road Atlanta, rooms not showing up. This is what separates a real junkie from a fake one!
TRUTH BE THAT!

When you track an FD, GT3 or racing anything you're vacuuming the living room carpet, sifting the dust and reaching for the pipe
Old 08-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Brent Dalton
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

truer words have never been spoken! I'm expecting big things from both of you at VIR in October.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:24 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did not know you were a Rennlister or I would have stopped in to say hi. I was the noisy rude white 911. I think I might have some video of your car on track from T1 to T9.

Sorry you had a rough start at SP. The belts is a National thing not Potomac and even the locals have been changing out belts.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kurt M
Did not know you were a Rennlister or I would have stopped in to say hi. I was the noisy rude white 911. I think I might have some video of your car on track from T1 to T9.

Sorry you had a rough start at SP. The belts is a National thing not Potomac and even the locals have been changing out belts.
Hi Kurt,
Hmm t1 to t9 doesn't sound good hehe, hopefully I wasn't holding you up.

I remember your car, VERY COOL!

Next time I'll track you down and introduce myself
Old 08-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brent Dalton
truer words have never been spoken! I'm expecting big things from both of you at VIR in October.
I may not run in Oct. but if Alex is that will give me more motivation.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:49 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may not run in Oct. but if Alex is that will give me more motivation.
At the moment I'm planning on it. Trying to get some weight out and with colder weather who knows maybe a 2:01-02 possible for the tired 6GT3.

Quick Reply: Fritz's Track Escapades