Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

early 944 - bushing options - delron vs all metal ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:48 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default early 944 - bushing options - delron vs all metal ?

Has there been any data collected on pro's cons(perfomance, longevity, etc) of going with all Delron vs all metal for all the bushings in the front a arms and rear torsion bar areas ?

I was just on the racers edge website looking over some of the options and I'm left pondering what to do. Here's why I'm undecided ....

I have an 84 (early) 944 with steel front a-arms. I ran a few 944 spec races last year and a few GTS2 races(nasa) using the original 26 year old rubber bushings all the way around. It's time to update them old pieces.....

My sticking point.. I am still on the fence as to what class I will run for 2011. Mostly on the fence because I want to tinker with my car and spec does not allow that but in turn I feel like the exisitng GTS1 drivers have their cars tweaked more then my 2011 budget will allow me to do.

So I'm wondering if I buy the Delron bushing because those are 44 spec class legal, will those same bushing be sufficient when I transition into GTS1 and add some areo and slicks and stiffer spring rates to the mix.

Yes, i am trying to buy once, use twice, which is always impossible yet I am trying...

Tom
Old 02-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

My unscientific POV is that delrin is going to give you 90% of the stiffness that metal bushings will give you. (Isn't metal bushing an oxymoron?). You're still in a 25 year old street car that will bend and flex to some extent.

To preserve eligibility delrin seems like the way to go.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:18 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
My unscientific POV is that delrin is going to give you 90% of the stiffness that metal bushings will give you. (Isn't metal bushing an oxymoron?). You're still in a 25 year old street car that will bend and flex to some extent.

To preserve eligibility delrin seems like the way to go.

In general the 944 spec rule set was designed to provide 90% of the performance of the best 944 NA's at 30-40% of the cost. Everything on the spec list was done to create fun responsive car that was reliable, but on budget.

As for tinkering... There is infact alot you can still tinker with legally in 944 spec trim. Spring rates are limited to a range not specfic values. The stock suspension allows for a wide range of alignment settings. Pair that will adjustable sway bars and you have lot of room to play around with. The best drivers and cars tweak all these settings to find the best combination.

We tend to put limits on what costs money. Fancy shocks, fancy bushings, fancy tires, and aero all cost money. GTS1 allows you a wide berth in all that, but it takes alot of money to exercise those options. I have been in my 944 spec since 2000 and racing it since 2002. That is along time with the same car. There are times I have considered moving on, but I simply cannot find a place where I will get a better value in race car. I know where I can spend more money and got faster, but I doubt I will have any more fun.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:19 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

I understand where you're coming from Joe... I realy don't have the $ for moton suspension and all that fancy stuff. I've already vested myself with the Koni goods.

I've got more time on hands then have money in wallet, so I'm one for making my own pieces when I can. I suppose if I were to pick up a piece of delron and turn out my own bushings, that would be just as legal as opening my wallet and buying a pre made one? But I've not even had my car corner balanced or aligned by a shop, I've only done that myself with tape measure and strings. Who knows how far off I could be?

I'm beginning to feel like my 'tinkering' needs will cost me more in the long run then just sticking with the basics.

This board has always been a good sounding board, thus why I post my jibberish/questions out here..

End result, I am "mentally" ready for racing to begin. I need to get my speed fix going on !!!

Tom
Old 02-28-2011, 02:58 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by originalmotorhead
I understand where you're coming from Joe... I realy don't have the $ for moton suspension and all that fancy stuff. I've already vested myself with the Koni goods.

I've got more time on hands then have money in wallet, so I'm one for making my own pieces when I can. I suppose if I were to pick up a piece of delron and turn out my own bushings, that would be just as legal as opening my wallet and buying a pre made one? But I've not even had my car corner balanced or aligned by a shop, I've only done that myself with tape measure and strings. Who knows how far off I could be?

I'm beginning to feel like my 'tinkering' needs will cost me more in the long run then just sticking with the basics.

This board has always been a good sounding board, thus why I post my jibberish/questions out here..

End result, I am "mentally" ready for racing to begin. I need to get my speed fix going on !!!

Tom
You are free to make your own delrin bushings. Just order some block of delrin and get milling maching and have at it.

As for the home corner balance and alignment.. If you are patient you can do just as good an alignment with strings as a shop. Of course you do need scales to do a corner balance, but the rest you can do at time with time and metal skill work through everything.

GTS is nice, but if you don't have the money to buy and maintainen fresh hoosiers to run on the car you will be giving up 1 to 2 second a lap off the bat. At nationals in 2009 and 2010 a few 944 spec cars ran GTS1 and picked up 2 seconds a lap just from hoosiers. Unless you have money for tires like this you will never be on pace for GTS1.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:43 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

"" Unless you have money for tires like this you will never be on pace for GTS1. ""

Figures :O

Tom
Old 02-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

There's a story of a local 944 cup guy who snapped a front lower control arm, and overnight installed a replacement. Alignment was done with a squinty eye. He started at the back on Sunday, and he went out and set a personal best lap finishing second.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:58 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom,

You can take some pride in going faster for less - doing it better, yourself, then a pro can charge you 5x the same thing.

Make your own Delrin. Spend the money on having Nick corner balance your car at the track - much more time for less there. Or better yet, spend the money on an extra day at the track

Our cars are light enough that it'd take a pro to find a measureable/meaningful difference between Delrin & steel bushings.

The Great Lakes now has its own native band of Spec cars- Brad, John, Shawn. Leave yourself the option of getting on board at this point.

Quick Reply: early 944 - bushing options - delron vs all metal ?