Sponsored by:

Driver/car development

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 04:10 PM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver/car development

I am interested in what racers and track day drivers are using for driver/car development. Lap timers? Data acquisition? Video? Some combination?

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:33 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Data is good and all, but I highly recommend getting a coach
Old 02-26-2011, 04:48 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I find data acquisition to be a must for development, video on top of it is icing on the cake IMHO. Getting a private coach periodically is also a great way to complement, however I cannot imagine anyone steadily improving their driving without data acquisition. I say this based on the assumption that we are talking about a HPDE environment and doing 10-20 events a year, or less.

Last edited by FTS; 02-28-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,514 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
Data is good and all, but I highly recommend getting a coach

So do I !

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-26-2011, 11:42 PM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your respoinses. Hope to get more input.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:23 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

seat time and GOOD coaching ... there is a lot of ****ty coaches out there .. so be careful who you give your $$ too.

Word of mouth is the best way to find a good coach in your area, or just hire a proven PRO (like a proven ALMS driver .. not a self proclaimed pro).
Old 02-27-2011, 05:03 AM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Consider looking at the Porsche Sport Driving School (PSDS), in Birmingham Al. It is a great way to get exposure to several accomplished race drivers and a very good starting point.
The price point is a bit high, but I think it's worth it considering what bad instruction might do for a beginner.
Self proclaimed instructors are a risk by comparison to the PSDS team.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
seat time and GOOD coaching ... there is a lot of ****ty coaches out there .. so be careful who you give your $$ too.
+1
Also, where are you in terms of experience right now and where is your car as far as development? If just starting out then at least do some Driver's Ed's with PCA in your area. If advanced then it's a different plan..

Of course, as you seem to be in here promoting Race-Keeper I would assume that is where this is really heading...

Last edited by Gary R.; 02-27-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Word of mouth is the best way to find a good coach in your area, or just hire a proven PRO (like a proven ALMS driver .. not a self proclaimed pro).
Totally disagree on the ALMS driver being the 'Pro'. It's not about the driving skill of the person who does the teaching but the ability of the person to teach. Teaching is an art form and for the most part pro drivers are not teachers. The perfect example is how you can find lots of people/pros who can look at data and tell you where you need to go faster. The good ones will not only do that but then spend the time working on a method to make that actually happen.

There are many out there who put the time and effort into learning how to teach and foucsing on multiple learning styles. Those guys are the ones to look for. While some are current top level pro drivers there are still a good number who have never been.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by billstevens61
I am interested in what racers and track day drivers are using for driver/car development. Lap timers? Data acquisition? Video? Some combination?

Thanks.
I just do DEs and try to get a coach in the car whenever I can, it's not always easy as the instructors have other responsibilities but it sure is great when they can hop in the car w/ you

For this year i'm going to add data acquisition and video to the repertoire, i'm pretty sure that will add to progress.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:42 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I've been doing the DE thing for 3 years now. I started out with just the street car, and the PCA instructors. Got a different one every day for about 5 weekends. Very helpful to have them talking me through the track, and my approach to driving.

Then went to things to make the car better on the track, and me a part of the car, seats, harnesses, roll bar, R-compound tires, race pads. Still try to get an instructor for the first session of a day.

The best thing for self evaluation was a in car video camera. I can see my consistency, and check lap times by the timer on the camera. You can see each and every mistake in approach, turnin, apex, and completion of the corner. It is the best thing if you don't have an instructor with you.

And then there is simply following somebody in your group who is getting better lap times than you with a similar car.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:02 PM
va122
Drifting

Just because they can race doesn't mean they can teach...
Old 02-27-2011, 04:06 PM
va122
Drifting

Originally Posted by sundog
I've been doing the DE thing for 3 years now. I started out with just the street car, and the PCA instructors. Got a different one every day for about 5 weekends. Very helpful to have them talking me through the track, and my approach to driving.

Then went to things to make the car better on the track, and me a part of the car, seats, harnesses, roll bar, R-compound tires, race pads. Still try to get an instructor for the first session of a day.

The best thing for self evaluation was a in car video camera. I can see my consistency, and check lap times by the timer on the camera. You can see each and every mistake in approach, turnin, apex, and completion of the corner. It is the best thing if you don't have an instructor with you.

And then there is simply following somebody in your group who is getting better lap times than you with a similar car.
A coach will be there for the whole day (or half if you split him) on track and off, think how valuable that it rather then TRYING to get an instructor and running solo the rest of the day and potentially practicing mistakes.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:54 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Totally disagree on the ALMS driver being the 'Pro'. It's not about the driving skill of the person who does the teaching but the ability of the person to teach. Teaching is an art form and for the most part pro drivers are not teachers. The perfect example is how you can find lots of people/pros who can look at data and tell you where you need to go faster. The good ones will not only do that but then spend the time working on a method to make that actually happen.

There are many out there who put the time and effort into learning how to teach and foucsing on multiple learning styles. Those guys are the ones to look for. While some are current top level pro drivers there are still a good number who have never been.
Just because they can race doesn't mean they can teach...
I agree (generally) with the concept that some pros may not be able to teach and if you want to improve and have someone articulate where you can go faster, a proper coach/instrutor is the ticket. However, some of the "education" is also up to the student. You have to do your diligence and find the instructor that fits your needs at the time. For example, if you hired a top echelon pro, but you drive in the beginner/green group, the disparity in skill level might prevent any learning at all - and you might think the coach couldn't teach, when in fact you were not ready to learn. Also, any driver (but especially advanced ones) have to go into a training session prepared to learn, not just drive like you are at a DE. You have to switch over to "student" mode, which can sometimes be difficult. With any pro - even those that are not the best teachers - there is still substantial value in having them drive your car. If you take data and video, you will learn mountains from their driving even if they can't articulate what they are doing, or you don't have time to ask them questions about your driving. It just takes effort on the students part.

All that being said, there are some excellent instructors out there that are not winning ALMS races - or even racing anymore - that can take your driving to the next level. A few even frequent our board.

-td
Old 02-27-2011, 05:26 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

A coach will be there for the whole day (or half if you split him) on track and off, think how valuable that it rather then TRYING to get an instructor and running solo the rest of the day and potentially practicing mistakes.
Agreed. But for those of us doing DE's a few times a year in a moderately modified car it can be cost prohibitive. The majority of our instructors Club Race with the PCA, and I have had 80% positive instruction from them. A couple were good, just didn't click with me as a student.

Quick Reply: Driver/car development