Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

have anybody looked into smartycam firmware guts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 01:44 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Exactly, and perfectly understandable from AiM's perspective.
If you wanted to get serious, it would be simple enough to develop new applications code that utilizes the embedded drivers and Linux kernel. Why hack theirs when you can write it with the feature set you want?
Interesting thought... intercept the 15 or so data channels from the ECU bridge and grep them into a file on the SD card... too bad I'm a commercial guy not a coder...
Old 06-10-2011, 10:27 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Interesting thought... intercept the 15 or so data channels from the ECU bridge and grep them into a file on the SD card... too bad I'm a commercial guy not a coder...
i could posible 'upgrade' this firmware, but honesty, it is at least 140-200 hours project and would require plenty of dedication to open it up and review and rework what they got there... as any embedded programming it is not overly hard, but, you know, life it short and it is easier to pay other folks to get more time to play. may be over next winter I will look into it. will see.

if they are rolling out separate datalogger and it will be within $300 or so - I will buy it, if it is above $500 - then not. it is all a matter of price and required effort.

IMHO it is sad that they decided not to 'upgrade' firmware in smartycam itself, I honestly think their marketing director is a moron. you should never sacrifice on improving product functionality to 'help' sales of other redundand products, plus setup in a dedicated race car where you have stripped interior and can bolt on several devices is totally different from street car setup where I have harness bar on which smartycam sits and no palce at all to permanently mount a datalogger. I want all this stuff to be easily removable. But, what can you do.

If other manufacturers are reading those forums may be we will get something like that in the future - compact convinient 'all in one' solution. who knows.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:22 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

http://www.race-keeper.com/race-keeper_products

Never used it, don't know anyone who has. Looks interesting.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:57 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
http://www.race-keeper.com/race-keeper_products

Never used it, don't know anyone who has. Looks interesting.
yes it does... but it is modular system again, a lot of mess to do for non-track dedicated car. i like smartycam as a concept, it was quite convinient.

Quick Reply: have anybody looked into smartycam firmware guts?